So you ride a pushie hey - The Aus Bicycling Thread

Discussion in 'Australia' started by clarky, Dec 27, 2009.

1. jardine

jardine 86

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting those links OFBM, much appreciated and I am gunna watch them all soon as TDF finishes!!
    Oldfatbeerman likes this.
  2. bigborett

bigborett Hipster Supporter

Oddometer:
    GMBN are covering all the EWS this year.
    Jack Moir is second in the series by only a few points.
  3. Just Dan

Just Dan Bugger, Burnt toast

Oddometer:
    Who would of thought. You can still by a bike without an engine. :) Good value from Merida

8AA0B4D4-AF3B-4597-A7B8-FEE5275C672B.jpeg
  4. tileman

tileman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Since were in lockdown logic states, well logic has nothing to do with it, I'M going to have a go at another everesting.

Simply put, ride the height of mt everest, 8848m, on one hill going up and down until you've reached the required total altitude (only the up part counts). Nowadays its possible to do it virtually which is kinda easy in lockdown.

Its pushie related.

p.s. I've down one before, this time a different virtual hill and trying for the 10k badge.

https://everesting.cc

If someone wants to join PM me and I'll send through approximate timing and user name. It'll be slow.
    numbat and Bluetonguejak like this.
  5. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    Reminds me, I need to adjust the brakes on the silverback, the downhills are getting the leavers closer to the bars.
  6. jardine

jardine 86

Oddometer:
    Good luck Tileman, you must have exceptional willpower and stamina!!
    Oldfatbeerman likes this.
  7. tileman

tileman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, it hurt a lot and mentally was much more a challenge than last time. I was broken at 1200m, 2000m, 5 through to 6000m and nearly bailed at 8000m. Thanks for my loving better half and kids I made it to 8900m.

Unfortunately I know it might not be the last. I've found a hill near halls gap that'll be ok for either or both the outdoors version of riding and on foot. On foot will probably take 30~ or so hours. Hopefully the ride will be under 20.

That may happen next year once we "hopefully" stay out of lockdown for a while, I was and am broken today.
  8. Oldfatbeerman

Oldfatbeerman Enroute to a PUB

Oddometer:
    OK , this is for all you poor buggers in lockdown . This coming weekend Red Bull Hardline is on in Wales UK at the Athertons bike park , it features some of the gnarliest and most difficult terrain to ride , and these people are racing down it . I have no doubt there will be many , many arse puckering moments during the weekend . I will be watching when I am not busy doing something less sedentary . I actually have a 3 day ride planned with a mate , but the weather prediction is looking pretty miserable for 2 of the 3 days in the area we will be in , so we are delaying the start of our ride till Monday , so I can watch Hardline live and ride after it is over :D .
    Screenshot (84).png

Wodger63 likes this.
  9. Bluetonguejak

Bluetonguejak Pretend racer

Oddometer:
    No hard-core downhill, just plodding around the Mallee after recent rains.
    Wet sand good.:thumb
    20210723_164045.jpg

Wet red clay wery slippy:nod
    20210728_170543.jpg

Grey clay sticky:fpalm
    20210728_171620.jpg

Hadda stop and scrape the sticky shit off to achieve forward momentum.:shog
    20210728_172134.jpg
  10. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    Only time on the motorcycle I never had to apply brakes to stop going down hill - grey clay. Throttle to keep going untill front wheel turns into a ski... wheeee! What a mess.
  11. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    @Bluetonguejak
    I am sure you know this already... but be sure to wash that grey clay off (all of it - thoroughly) before it sets/dries. Once sun hardened, that stuff is like tile grout... it will fcuk chain links, bearings etc in the delicate component like derailleurs, clusters etc i no time.

Ask me how I know...? :deal

It was late 70's... a young bloke (yours truly) on an RM 80C that got buried seat deep in a grey clay Trangie floodplain irrigation canal (don't try this at home folks)... then the whole show became sun dried in the 30 degree weather (I was 10 km's from the house - yes it was a stupid place to play muddy Evel Knievel - I know that... now:rofl) .

The bike had to be dismantled down to the chassis... cleaned piece for piece... all the bearings, chain etc. were shot... many bolts/threads etc. had to be glass bead blasted and the threads re-tapped.
    bigborett and Warin like this.
  12. Bluetonguejak

Bluetonguejak Pretend racer

Oddometer:
    Gave it a good wash with the hose and sprayed a bit of WD on the chain/pedals when i got back.
    Did a similar loop this arvo with Jards, but the sun/wind had dried it up a bit to make it rideable.
    Rode through all the puddles at the end of ride today to get some of the shit off the tyres.:D
    Bikes and shoeis are gunna need a thorough clean when we get home tho.:nod
  13. bikeymikey70

bikeymikey70 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    203C2490-0967-47A7-8A55-B33BC7B69D00.jpg
    All the gravel roads around Temora are wet and muddy after all the rain, doing a fair bit of washing and lubricating, but riding is fun and challenging
  14. Wodger63

Wodger63 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Start ride trying to tip toe around the puddles, then you hit the unavoidable ones, then it's like WTF, dive straight in.
    End result, one filthy bike and kit that needs hosing off before it goes in the washing machine.
    bikeymikey70 and Richarde1605 like this.
  15. Ron50

Ron50 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why is Burley Griffin Way closed all the way from Wallendbeen to Stockinbingal - with the recommended 40 minute detour being through Junee FFS, not even Coota - when all that is needed for light traffic is to go a couple of extra kilometres north to Silo Road to take you to the western side of the railway bridge that is being replaced?
  16. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Really? Detour all the way down to Junee? There's probably an SOP that says traffic cannot be detoured any lower than a B road Ron. Yes that was sarcasm.
    Ron50 likes this.
  17. bikeymikey70

Oddometer:
    Don’t understand it either, locals were fined by police for using the section of road that was closed
    Ron50 likes this.
  18. Ron50

Ron50 Long timer

Oddometer:
    And the flood repairs are long finished.
    bikeymikey70 likes this.
  19. bikeymikey70

Oddometer:
    The only reason the road is closed is because of the collapsed rail bridge at Wallendbeen, they could have just set up a detour for heavy vehicles
    Richarde1605 and Ron50 like this.
  20. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mt Taylor uphill

BB872882-1040-43B3-A32A-C347F5777144.jpeg