So you ride a pushie hey - The Aus Bicycling Thread

Discussion in 'Australia' started by clarky, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Wodger63

Wodger63 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Had an eventful ride yesterday, not one, not two, not three but four flat tyres.
    To start I'm riding a meandering track along the NSW side of the Murray, it's fresh but the sun is out, except for being chased/attacked by a dog I'm having a good day.
    Then the bike starts to feel a bit weird, so I stop check the back wheel and for all intents it's fine.
    So I put it down to the track being a bit greasy and continue on, nah something not right, then I realise it's my front that's going flat.
    Flip the bike upside down, pull the wheel and strip the tyre and tube off the rim, run my hand around the inside of the tyre and feel multiple thorns sticking through.
    Spent the next 15 minutes removing all the thorns, or so I thought.
    Fit a new tube, inflate and put the wheel back in the bike, all good to go, give the rear a squeeze, bugger it's now flat.
    So repeat what I done to the front and I'm on my way, had enough by this stage so with 15klms to get home off I went.
    Bugger me, I'm 100mtrs from home and the back goes flat again, totally lost interest by this point so I walk it home and put the bike away.
    You might be thinking but you said 4 flat tyres?
    So a couple of hours later I'm eating my dinner while enjoying a refreshing beverage and I hear a muffled bang accompanied by hissing air, I go to investigate only too find the front once again is flat.
    So my conclusion is the tyres are riddled with thorns and I'm probably best to just replace both tyres rather than risk repeated flats.
    DOT likes this.
  2. Bluetonguejak

Bluetonguejak Pretend racer

Oddometer:
    Tubless conversion with stans seslant?
  3. bigborett

bigborett Hipster Supporter

Oddometer:
  4. bigborett

Oddometer:
    The dreaded bindies.
    Like @Bluetonguejak said, tubless, "seslant". I tried to get seslant but they would only sell me sealant. Called me an idiot.
    numbat, Oldfatbeerman and Wodger63 like this.
  5. Tenerrod

Tenerrod Make it shiny

Oddometer:
    I've decided to give cycling to work a go. It's about 22km door to door and only one or two short climbs, otherwise mostly flat.
    Just a $245 cheapy REID from Gumtree, plus $200 for pedals and shoes, another $60 on tubes, pump and tool baggy thing. It adds up quick. 215332551_3173958352888502_2557003513398327445_n.jpg
    Today is a practice day to get to the freeway bike path without riding on any main roads.
    I'm typing this from the warmth of my bed, best l get up and get some fuel in me.

Edit. All went well. Slightly quicker than expected while deliberately taking it easy. Found a safe carpark next to freeway to bypass the first few km of bumpy footpath if l need to.
    This week may be the inaugural ride to work.
  6. Bluetonguejak

Bluetonguejak Pretend racer

Oddometer:
    They don't sell seslant to Flogs!:lol3

Shoulda put me glasses on.........
    Oldfatbeerman and bigborett like this.
  7. Oldfatbeerman

Oldfatbeerman Enroute to a PUB

Oddometer:
    World Cup Down Hill racing is live tonight at 8 30 pm AEST from Maribor in Slovenia . There has been a fair bit of carnage from this track already , 2 of the Youtubers I follow are out with broken hand / wrists from small crashes on practise day . Qualifying videos should be up on Youtube soon I'd expect .

https://www.redbull.com/int-en/events/uci-mountain-bike-world-cup-slovenia#/
    Edit : just found this below .
    theMISSIONARY likes this.
  8. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Australian made Ride sealant managed this on my first ride after going tubeless... 20210724_222219.jpg
  9. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Absolutely loving it, yet at the same time wondering if I should have been patient/ richer and bought an orbea rise (this bike was second hand )

The sl has enough power for 95% of the riding I do - it's a slog getting up Mt Taylor when we do shuttle days with the kids but I can still manage 3/4 climbs (1200 m ) before my legs give in. On the giant I can do 4/5 but the last run is pushing my luck. I'm clearing technical climbs that I could't do on the giant - light / precise enough that I can pick my lines , and there is still enough grunt to get up anything my skill level is capable of.

The light weight is amazing - I'm LOOKING for things to bounce off and flicking the bike around in the air just because , well, I can. It rides more like my daughters genius 940 than any emtb I've ridden - only 1.5 kg heavier, similar geometry, but a MUCH stiffer frame.

Range is phenomenal. I haven't gone below 30% on the battery yet, and doubt I will ever use the range extender.

My only complaint is motor noise- not annoying until you ride an ep8....yesterday I rode a mates brand new e160 ....For what it's worth, I prefer my sl to his e160 , despite his having slightly higher spec components.

I think that if I had new bike price $ burning a hole in my pocket it'd be a very hard call between a spec sl and orbea rise. The rise seems like better value, but the spec gets phenomenal efficiency and is about 1 kg lighter at similar spec levels. The spec would probably win based on dealer support / warranty
    bigborett likes this.
  10. Precis

Precis Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer:
    Many Melbournians will be familiar with the road from St Andrews up to Kinglake: it's tight, windy, narrow and steep, signposted at 60km/h for vehicular traffic. It's claimed many victims over the years. It's also infested with bicyclists most weekends: a few years ago, there was a semi-serious suggestion that the road should be closed to all vehicles except bicycles on Sundays...
    Last Saturday, a Kinglake local made a phone call and as a result, lots of riders went home with very healthy fines from VicPol: seems they were all quite a long way outside their 5km lockdown. On Sunday, scarcely a bicycle to be seen.
    Turps, bigborett, Wodger63 and 2 others like this.
  11. theMISSIONARY

theMISSIONARY hunting and riding!!

Oddometer:
    UCI Mountain Bike World Championships
    can be seen on SBS on-demand, live and replays
  12. bigborett

Oddometer:
    I lived in Kinglake for a few years.
    Not a safe road for bicycles. In certain areas it would almost be impossible to give them the mandated 1.5m clearance safely.
    The local did them a favour. Most would prefer to just run the cyclist off the edge .
  13. bigborett

Oddometer:
    Has been geo restricted on RedBull TV for some reason. Hopefully only for this round. Prefer the coverage.

Have a feeling that SBS has done a deal following the Olympics.

May have to look into a vpn.
    theMISSIONARY likes this.
  14. Oldfatbeerman

Oddometer:
    The deal was done by the UCI BBTT , sold the rights for big $$$$ , I can't understand why some TV mob paid the $$$ though , not like it is mainstream sports like Olympics or Football or anything though . It is not sport any more , it is a business for sure , with amateurs running it . Still some footage on Utube if you know the right channels to watch . No where near as good a coverage as RB TV though that is certain .
  15. Oldfatbeerman

Oddometer:
    Some WC action here .
  16. bigborett

Oddometer:
    Apparently if they buy the road bikes they get the whole package.

Anyway, I just paid for a vpn and have it streaming on the pc now.
    Just need to work out the TV. Not working yet.

Stuff 'em. Streaming via Brasil.
    Oldfatbeerman likes this.
  17. bigborett

Oddometer:
    Have it working on the PC and phone. Can cast it from the phone to the TV but can't connect to the tv via my telstra modem, vpn's not allowed and too much stuffing around to bypass it.
    May be able to access a bit of other stuff as well with the vpn.
  18. Oldfatbeerman

Oddometer:
    I had a look at VPN's . Can't be bothered to be honest , I'll just see what comes onto you tube from the usual riders vlogs I am subscribed to who actually ride down hill world cup . I checked SBS's programing , couldn't see it being on in the next few days .
  19. theMISSIONARY

theMISSIONARY hunting and riding!!

Oddometer:
  20. Oldfatbeerman

Oddometer:
    I watched SBS on demand's showing of the World Down Hill Champs last night , oh what a shit show that was . The commentator droned on without taking a breath about what , I am not real sure . The footage was choppy and ad hock in the extreme . My advice to those who missed it ... don't bother . Absolute worst coverage of a major sporting event I've seen in many , many , many years ! :puke2