So you ride a pushie hey - The Aus Bicycling Thread

Discussion in 'Australia' started by clarky, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    There is a balance between reducing the number of flats and adding weight/rolling resistance.

I have found that 'good' tyres will not suffer as many flats as 'bad' tyres. Tyres with built in kevlar case (not just the bead) are very puncture resistance .. at leas untill they are ~10 year old and have many miles on them (think worn very near the case... )

Adding an old tyre case inside a tyre adds to both weight and rolling resistance.. just so you know. How much weigh is easy. rolling resistance is hard ... person I know tows a rig behind his car with strain metres .. good luck if you want to go that far.
  2. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    we run 3 variables on the puncture/ weight thing

1 bikes where punctures are not an option - tannus armour. Think of it like a super thick yet light and subtle second tyre layer. It's an absolute mongrel to fit, but if you have been managing to fit a spare tyre as a sleeve tannus will seem easy. I think we have 4 wheels with tannus and never had a flat amongst them.

2 bikes where punctures are a pita and we're going to do silly things like bounce off sharp rocks so want good traction and feel - thicker "down hill" casing with tubeless sealant. My older daughters bike runs "double down" casings . It's about 400 gms heavier than the equivalent tyre in "exo plus" , so about the same total weight as the tannus , not quite as puncture resistant, but MUCH better feel . I think she slices through those cases annually

3 mere mortal bikes used in places where it's not life threatening to get a flat - we just run "puncture resistant" cases eg maxis exo plus , but tubeless with sealant. Plus I carry a spare tube (some ultralight plastic thing that cost a fortune but is incredibly compact so I'll most likely not realize I've left it in the car when I really need it) . Roughly 2 flats in 3 years , I think we have 3/4 wheels set up like this

small print no 4- sprog 2 still has a 12 year old tube in her bike!!!! she weighs nothing and rides around things rather than over them. The tyres are likely so stiff and perished there is no chance of anything puncturing them, and even if they did she weighs nothing and probably wouldn't even notice a flat
    Turps likes this.
  3. wi11iamson

wi11iamson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As just about all things we do.

Yes.

Yes, but SFA, and what extra there is, is probably negligible compared to the combined overall weight of overall of the bike, rider and any extras on the bike.

Can't agree with that one.
  4. wi11iamson

Oddometer:
    Yikes! A bit exy, weighty and yes probably a mongrel to fit.

Not at all, HP 700 x 23 tyres & tubes with liners can be removed & re-fitted without using tyre levers.

Haven't got them in the 700 x 35 hybrid or 26 x 1.50 MTB road tyres so don't how easy, or not, with them. But in my experience wider tyres and generally easier to manipulate on and off a rim than narrow tyres.

My experience is six years as owner/operator of a small bicycle shop in Ringwood East in the 90's. I've fitted more tyres and repaired more tubes than I care to remember. Whilst much has changed in the 20 plus years since, these things are still pretty much the same.
  5. Wodger63

Wodger63 Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. wi11iamson

Oddometer:

Your local bike shop may be prepared to oblige.
  7. Wodger63

Wodger63 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't have one.
  8. theMISSIONARY

theMISSIONARY hunting and riding!!

Oddometer:
    Just get a tyre with a heavy DH casing and run tubeless......even then if you take dumb lines expect flats :D
    Wodger63 likes this.
  9. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    You might have to move. :hmmmmm
  10. Wodger63

Wodger63 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The only dumb line I took was through that patch of bindi's.
    theMISSIONARY likes this.
  11. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    Bindi's .. try something larger
    [​IMG]
  12. Wodger63

Wodger63 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeap, they're the ones.
  13. theMISSIONARY

theMISSIONARY hunting and riding!!

Oddometer:
    Had them in Kalgoorlie when I lived there...none in Tas :D
  14. Oldfatbeerman

Oldfatbeerman Enroute to a PUB

Oddometer:
    We call those Cats eyes around here . Tubeless and quality sealant is the only sensible option to stop flats from them in my experience . I have not had a flat since I went tubeless about 3 years ago .
    Wodger63 likes this.
  15. Ron50

Ron50 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Caltrop? Very bad around Eugowra.
  16. Idratherberiding

Idratherberiding my KTM 950 Adventure!

Oddometer:
    Lived there for a while. We called them cat heads and ran heavy duty plastic insert liners between tube and tyre, plus avoiding running over those plants*, which worked reasonably well at avoiding flats.
    (*The mature plants are large and often grow in clusters so are easily recognised, plus they are seasonal which is a minor blessing…).
    Oldfatbeerman, Wodger63 and Ron50 like this.
  17. Oldfatbeerman

Oldfatbeerman Enroute to a PUB

Oddometer:
    :hmmmmm , Cats heads ? Hmmm , seems to ring a bell , that is probably what they are called around here too , my memory is often wrong on some detail or other lately .:augie
    Ron50 likes this.
  18. wi11iamson

Oddometer:
  19. Idratherberiding

Oddometer:
    Thanks for a good tip.

Back then we were just getting into pushies and didn’t know any better!
    :-)
  20. Idratherberiding

Oddometer:
    Caltrop is probably their ‘proper’ name, but the first I came across that label was after moving to Vic, so it might be a State localism thing rather than your memory!

Either way, they are best kept away from our tubes.
    ;-)