So you ride a pushie hey - The Aus Bicycling Thread

Discussion in 'Australia' started by clarky, Dec 27, 2009.

1. GelandeRoadie

GelandeRoadie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Winna - just had a look over Trailforks site, looks good. My son is starting to take an interest in MTB so this will be helpful. I took up road riding thinking it would get me fit for MTB, ended up enjoying the roadie so has been a while since any MTB action (what a misnomer to describe my riding!). Looking forward to another activity to enjoy with my boy.
  2. lentil

lentil King of the Dad Joke and Senior Status Legume Super Moderator

Oddometer:
  3. winna

winna Rallye bikes rule

Oddometer:
    Look seriously at the soft tails Lentil, you wont regret it if you plan on riding off road, so much more plush and stable.
    lentil likes this.
  4. lentil

Oddometer:
    yeah I couldnt find a dually in my price range , if I keep at it im keen on a dually as well - however I am also trying to cover some dirt road and reasonable km so the hard tail will get used.
    winna likes this.
  5. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    My Anthem got stolen late last year theiving scum, i didnt want to fork out and found a boxing day sale on a nice hardtail, but just really missed my squishy rear end even though i do nothing to hard on the bike.

So i bit the bullet and bought a new one
    Pumping that shock up and switching it to pedal assist even keeps my fat ass up

IMG_3226.JPG
    jardine, winna and lentil like this.
  6. ECKS-Man

ECKS-Man Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have an older model. The pick of the hardtails in my opinion. Tough as nails and nice to ride. Good on bitumen or gravel, best to avoid mud though!
    lentil likes this.
  7. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    Bought a 'Silverback' Scento 2 .. exdemo on special. It is for getting the shopping etc .. in other words a hack bike. It is suposed to be a 'city bike' what ever that is ... 3x9 speed, mechanical disk brakes, 700c, Al frame, carbon fork, flatbar.

The gearing is far too high!
    Replaced the 30t chain wheel with a 24t .. better for the 20% inclines around here .. especially with some shopping. Losses the top 3 gears for this chain wheel .. should not be using them anyway with the small chain wheel so no real loss.

Put the SPD pedals on, rear rack, bottle cage and revision mirror off the 'old' bike (a Shogun MTB from the early 1990s, no suspension in those days). Bike has probably cost me $400.

I may well replace the rapid failure gear shifters with some down tube shifters mounted onto the handle bars... more $ though.

This is my 4th bicycle in the shed and it is the cheapest and I want to keep it that way.
    For durability I prefer 8 speed, disk brakes for no rim ware, spyre mechanical calipers for fuss free maintenance, and none of those rapid failure shifters.
  8. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can't beat Charlotte Pass - great little village, and nice trails all over the place - incl. the run around Kosciuszko plateau to the top of Thredbo

And +1 re' virtue of a softail - have been wondering whether the spring-assisted seat posts do anything useful ... ?

IMG_0742.JPG
    AUSSIEADV likes this.
  9. buckscreek

buckscreek AUTODIDACTIC

Oddometer:
    I have a giant with sprung seatpost. Is ok. Better than hardtail. Not as good as twin suspenders but.
    lentil and Hoots like this.
  10. Flexo

Flexo Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Agree about the softail unless you have one of these. Also Hoots you are either a bit early or a bit late, it is better when you can ride up the road a bit and then change method of transport.

20130729 BogongAlpineWay4 - Copy.JPG
    Bluetonguejak and Hoots like this.
  11. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    As with anything, some suspension seat posts are a lot better than others. Then you have dropper posts to assist when hitting downhill sections.

If you are just after fitness and a workout then a good hardtail will suffice and for the money you will pick up a lot better hardtail for the same cost as the full sus bike. Also a lot easier to maintain and work on and lighter and more efficient.
    Full sus have their place and can give a lot more enjoyment in rough country.

Watch your seat height and your knees! ;)

This is a great web site for all things mtb.

http://www.mtbr.com/
  12. AusGoFar

AusGoFar get back on that horse

Oddometer:
    Bluetonguejak and lentil like this.
  13. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    +1 on all of the above...

I had the opportunity to do a couple of rides on a 27.5" full suspension Santa Cruz while I was at home in Oz over christmas. We rode a combination of semi-technical single track, some good firetrails, and some fun flowing downhill mtb trails. The Santa Cruz was equipped with an hydraulic (adjustable) dropper seat post, and remote lock out on both the forks and the rear shock (hardtail setting for road/climbing).

This combination was the ultimate (for the type of riding I enjoy)... plush suspension to blast the downhills and take on jumps/big hits... then drop the seat post at flick of the thumb in the technical bits, extend it to full height (and lock out the fork) on the climbs... magic.

the best of everything!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. lentil

Oddometer:

Looks like my WR when I got it - Clean :D
    BygDaddee likes this.
  15. Brute

Brute Melbourne , outer east .

Oddometer:
    Have you tried Blores hill ? On your doorstep , I get there a bit , love the tracks . As for the young bloke , adjust his brakes with the right amount of drag .
    p.s. No probs with electric bikes at Blores .
  16. jardine

jardine 86

Oddometer:
    We often load up and head off

image.jpeg
    AusGoFar, numbat, Flexo and 1 other person like this.
  17. jardine

jardine 86

Oddometer:
    Yep Blores is not too demanding hill wise especially when you dont have an electric bike like Brute.....

Also Buxton is a great spot that is on the side of a hill but the climbs are easy to traverse and tracks are easy. We have ridden both Cyclocross and MTBs there and its a great spot for a swim and picnic on the river
  18. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, it's a great facility . The reality is we have great trails litterally at the tip if my block, but I'm hoping to drag the kids somewhere a bit scenic

Ummm...it's my 12 yo daughter I can't keep up with...and how do you adjust hydraulic brakes to drag?
  19. jardine

jardine 86

Oddometer:
    AusGoFar likes this.
  20. jardine

jardine 86

Oddometer:
    DR At there is also a great park at Colquhoun near Lakes that is your way and great for kids being not too steep or demanding with flowy tracks