So you ride a pushie hey - The Aus Bicycling Thread

Discussion in 'Australia' started by clarky, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I've been meaning to take them on the run from bruthen down towards lakes - mostly flowing down hill. Ideally with a car to take me back....
  2. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
  3. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Play with bike exchange to see what your options are - another $100 gets you a 2016 giant stance or a 2015 avanti torrent . But imho you really want something with a better rear end - having the option to switch the shock to an adaptive mode so it doesn't bounce around as you pedal but still absorbs bumps. I think that technology starts around the giant trance price bracket ( I'm definitely no expert, but I'm very good at being lazy)

https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/s/d...-bikes?option-value-ids=4014&sort-by=cheapest
    AUSSIEADV likes this.
  4. Flexo

Flexo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The rail trail from Bairnsdale to Orbost is good, I haven't ridden it in one day but just bits at a time. There are plenty of places where the track crosses the road so if you had a support vehicle it is easy to just do sections at a time.

The trail from Bruthen to Nowa Nowa seemed uphill all the way and on the way back to Bruthen it was uphill all the way again???
  5. GMess

GMess Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As a long-time road and track rider I could never get used to the bounce/squishiness of rear suspension. It seems like it stuffs up my pedaling cadence, makes it harder to spin through the pedal circle and always feel that I lose power.

No doubt riders brought up with full suspension learn to work with it but, if I do get out on an MTB, it is my very old school steel framed, no suspension at all, bike.

Regardless of what MTB floats your boat please take seriously Cruz's comment on seat height and knees. I see far too many people with seats set too low and some set too far forward or back as well. Get a good bike shop to set you up correctly.
    Cruz likes this.
  6. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    After the first long uphill out of bruthen you can turn R and head for lakes downhill. It's an awesome ride, marshall ( or neil?) lead a group of us through there a few years back
  7. Mudguts

Mudguts when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer:
    Here's my ride not the best climbing machine but good at going down hill .Took it out to the Buxton MTB park good fun but hard work

images-1.jpg
  8. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    My understanding is this is the reasoning for the front and rear suspension 'lockout'
  9. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    ? Shim between leaver and master cylinder? Humm you'd want to be very fine on adjusting it. Maybe a spring would be better.

P.S. hope you have spare brake pads!
  10. lentil

lentil King of the Dad Joke and Senior Status Legume Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    It helps, but I think it still comprimises the overal bike geomtery , and adds flex to the frame which is not what you want when climbing, the more rigid (to a point the better the climb) is my understanding.

So whilst it better than a non lockout rear shock its not the same as a hard tail.
  11. lentil

lentil King of the Dad Joke and Senior Status Legume Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    One of the things Im keen on with the new bike is some night rides !

Who uses what lights ?
    Cruz likes this.
  12. dunc

dunc Coddiwompler Supporter

Oddometer:
  13. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    Yeah ok.

I'm doing my research re pro's and cons between the two.

I won't be doing anything radical, considering the 'lockout' an option.
  14. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Didn't know about BikeExchange

Fantastic resource
  15. poppy

poppy Slow and Steady

Oddometer:
    Was playing around one night with a 6inch light bar. Had it hooked up to one of my 5amp hr battery drill batteries. Might be a bit big and heavy though. We just bought some lights for the bikes to do some night riding. Starting to get dark early.

20170206_213425.jpg 20170206_204344.jpg
  16. poppy

poppy Slow and Steady

Oddometer:
    Bahahahahaha

2017-02-02_15_44_07.gif
    AUSSIEADV and jardine like this.
  17. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    Any suspension uses energy .. the dampers dissipate it as heat. So a non suspension bike will be more efficient, but a suspension bike may well be quicker over rough terrain.

Lights? Old eyes need more light. And you will want LEDs ... and certainly more than 1 watt elements.
    I have a set that has a 10 watt central light with 2 variable lens focused side lights. The central is a 10 watt is a flood ... the two side lights are the most usefull things ... I focus one as a central light , the other I focus to fill the sides as much as I want. I don't see them listed any more.

The German have legislated that their bicycle lights must have a dipped beam .. just like cars. So their lights are better in traffic .. and probably have more light downwards as they are not sending it skywards. $ but german quality B&M lights ..
    http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/b&m.php

The IndyPac equipment .. https://cyclingtips.com/2017/03/bikes-2017-indian-pacific-wheel-race/
  18. TBR

TBR One Life ~ Live It...

Oddometer:
    Noted, not in OZ but during a 2015 summer weekend (Beijing / China) our son hand-build a custom bamboo bicycle frame (limited bamboo flexing = suspension) with carbon fibre joints at BEIJING BAMBOO BICYCLES = http://www.bamboobicyclesbj.com and completed with premium parts and components....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Quite funny how many people comment it's a metal frame painted to look like bamboo while out & about.... wrong!!!
  19. Flexo

Flexo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes it is a good ride. The Mississippi Creek Trail, runs along the creek and you go past the quarry where they mined the granite for the entrance at Lakes. They also used some of the pink granite in some Melbourne buildings.
  20. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    Maybe better stuff out there now but I've been using a couple like these DX ones for years. One on the bars & one on the helmet for mountainbiking. Occasionally they'll crap out, but usually just wiring that can be fixed with a soldering iron & they're cheap enough to have a spare anyway.

Cheers
    Clint