So you ride a pushie hey - The Aus Bicycling Thread

Discussion in 'Australia' started by clarky, Dec 27, 2009.

1. TBR

TBR One Life ~ Live It...

Oddometer:
    Cycling around greater Langmusi region (Tibet / Amdo) 2015 summer, we definitely entertained and made some Monks very happy, had a great time and both pushbikes have been blessed....

29" - SPECIALIZED Crave Pro
    26" - SCOTT Voltage YZ0.1

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    AUSSIEADV, MODNROD, jardine and 3 others like this.
  2. Colonial Mick

Colonial Mick FEMINISM KILLED CHIVALRY

Oddometer:
    Upper Cumbucter West. Armidale/Kempsey Rd.
    I have a Crosstrak Somoma and I need a new shock for it. Anyone know if I can replace the rubber airbag with gas or oil shock ? Also where would I get one ?
    Mine is the same as this one but perished.
    [​IMG]
  3. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    Mick... it look's like it's a straight shot (no linkage)... so if you can take an "Eye to Eye" measurement of the fully extended damper length and measure what the shaft/travel is...

Then jump on line, mtb forums or the like... I would imagine that someone like FOX, RockShocks, SACHS etc.would have an air/oil shock that would come very close to what is needed.
    Colonial Mick likes this.
  4. Colonial Mick

Colonial Mick FEMINISM KILLED CHIVALRY

Oddometer:
    Upper Cumbucter West. Armidale/Kempsey Rd.
    Beauty !! Thanks Troy I will do that !
  5. Not the Messiah

Not the Messiah Old enough to know better, but slow learnin'

Oddometer:
    Hey look, an Aussie treadly bike thread!
    I hadn't found this one before, but I'm in.
    I sneak around the MTB trails out at Lysterfield and Dromana and (very) occasionally at Buxton on a hard tail GT. And huff n puff around bike paths around the south-eastern 'burbs on a flat bar Giant.

The Rig is good for days when I don't want to choose between the moto and the treadly - do both!
    [​IMG]

See youse out there!
    Brian
    DeLewis likes this.
  6. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Have a look at Cane Creek shocks too, or hang it on the wall behind the bar.
    You will also need the bush width top and bottom to fit the frame mounts properly but a good fitter and turner could knock you up what is required at a cheap price.
    https://www.canecreek.com/products/suspension
    troy safari carpente likes this.
  7. stujamur

stujamur keep rollin rollin rollin

Oddometer:
    Choices . Any advice , dont have great knowledge in this area.

My cheapy hardtail is getting resigned to carting my little man around on bike paths and i want a new bike to get fit & ride trails .

I can get a new giant anthem 2 for 2600 - which has everything i need but low - mid gear .. does have remote drop seat which i like. 120mm travel .

Or a friends dad has a 2012 giant anthem advanced 0 . In 2013 he paid 7k for - top of the line anthem. Carbon fibre - xtr gear but its the last of the 26 inchers .it has only ever being on bike paths and is like new and i think i can pick it up for under 2k. Seem the sensible choice & get over the bigger wheel thing?
  8. Oldfatbeerman

Oldfatbeerman Enroute to a PUB

Oddometer:
    I'd jump on the second hand Anthem unless you are a real lanky Fella , I am just under 6' in the old scale and I reckon 26" MTBs are better all around rides than the latest 29ers and 27.5's .

I'll qualify that with adding I have an Anthem 1 29 er and a Kona Stinky deluxe and the Stinky just feels like a better thing to ride due to being a 26" bike even though it is 10 years older and 50 % heavier . 29 er wheel flex is a handling fault to me . I might ride the Cross country designed bikes a bit beyond their design brief though , Wannabe downhill racer :p3rry.
    stujamur likes this.
  9. Oldfatbeerman

Oldfatbeerman Enroute to a PUB

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    My Anthem 1 29 er . I have upgraded the Bars and seat post to Ritchey World Cup Carbon and the front brake rotor to a larger diameter because it was a bit warped after a few runs down my local speedway downhill .
  10. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Personally I wouldn't touch a second hand carbon frame bike. Bit like cars being driven to church on Sundays. Seen far too many carbon frames hanging on walls and in garages. Unless you are racing, the new medium spec bike will probably be as good or better than the top spec from 5 years ago, the dribble down affect in mtb is a lot quicker than motorbikes.
    ECKS-Man and Dr AT like this.
  11. DARK-SIDE

DARK-SIDE Fringe Dweller

Oddometer:
    Is anyone running a 1x11 gear set? If so how many teeth are you running on the front chainring (sprocket) & are you happy with the spread of ratios? :ear
    I currently run a 2x10 set up but I like the idea of eliminating the front derailleur, shifter & one chainring mainly for the simplicity & ease of maintenance.
  12. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    What two front rings are you running and what is your rear cluster range?
    And where and how do you ride?
    One chain ring at the front over 11 at the rear causes a lot of side flex in the chain between top and bottom cog in the cluster. You are also depending on the rear derailleur to keep chain tension over a big spread in the rear.
  13. Reeksy

Reeksy high state of hiatus

Oddometer:
    I've got 2 lots of 1x11 set ups. Both 32 t. Plenty for the trails, and I do a 50km round trip commute on flat roads with dirt options and spinning along in top gear is fine really. Possibly would go for a 34 next time.

Both rear derailleur have clutch so nice chain tension too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  14. DARK-SIDE

DARK-SIDE Fringe Dweller

Oddometer:
    Front rings 26 & 39
    Rear cluster range 11 to 36
    I'm no expert but I can definitely see what you mean about chain flex & tension. As for riding I don't ride nearly as much as I used too. I'm keen to do a bit more now it's cooling down, mainly general riding for fitness & firetrails these days & I also enjoy down hills :D
    My current bike is a 2011 GT Zaskar Expert 29er hard tail, I'm considering upgrading to a dualie. In theory I like the idea of a 1x11 gear set.
  15. DARK-SIDE

DARK-SIDE Fringe Dweller

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback Reeksy:thumb
    I'm keen to give a 1x11 gear set a try.
    Now for a bike:hmmmmm
  16. poppy

poppy Slow and Steady

Oddometer:
    Went and had another ride this arvo. Its amazing what you take for granted with a motor. Them up hills are hard work. Plenty of trees down today after the all the rain and wind we had yesterday and last night.

My Specialized Camber Comp 29er
    20170331_153642.jpg

Darrens Specialized Stump Humper fatty
    20170331_153822.jpg

Pauls Giant Reion
    20170331_153833.jpg

The things you find in tree trunks
    20170331_153739.jpg
  17. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm in the same boat

Used to train a lot on the Trek 29er hardtail, but now discouraged by the level of discomfort on hard / corrugated gravel roads

Impacts on your body, but also difficult to get sensible traction while bouncing around

Might have to look at upgrading to a dualy

And going back to a fraction (eg 1/2) of the gears would seem like a good idea - have never really understood why there are so many
  18. lentil

lentil King of the Dad Joke and Senior Status Legume Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    i have 10 km on my new 1 *11 and so far I like it.

It's a head messer first time on the bike but it's good after 5 minutes.

Be interesting to see how long components like cassettes and chains last
  19. Nandewar

Nandewar Sound sound the clarion

Oddometer:
    Took my touring bike over to Vietnam and Cambodia awhile back. It is easy touring cause I didn't have to carry food or sleeping gear.

Cycling through Saigon was a hoot. I practiced on a Sunday first though. And the roads along the Mekong don't have many hills.

It is a way to travel and be immersed at the same time. Nice and slow and at my own pace. No lycra and carbon fibre for this little black duck.

Touring bikes are my style. They are strong enough to carry a load and can handle gravel roads with aplomb. A bit of extra pressure in the tyres and they can boogie on the tar too. And my Brooks saddle fits my arse like a glove.
  20. DARK-SIDE

DARK-SIDE Fringe Dweller

Oddometer:
    Extra gears :hmmmmmI suppose they would offer a greater range to those who attack more difficult & technical terrain. I'm not a mathematician nor mechanical engineer but personally I think finding a good combination of 1x11 would suit me.
    Less moving parts, less maintenance, less adjustment & a slight saving in weight.
    Hoots likes this.