So you ride a pushie hey - The Aus Bicycling Thread

Discussion in 'Australia' started by clarky, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Brute

Brute Melbourne , outer east .

Oddometer:
  2. galbo950

galbo950 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I run a 1x11. The rear cluster is 10-42. The front was running a 32t but I've dropped to a 30t to make the climbs easier. I find I actually use the 10t rear now as before it was only really there for looks and occasional use.
    DARK-SIDE likes this.
  3. Bluetonguejak

Bluetonguejak Pretend racer

Oddometer:
    My Spesh Rockhopper Comp (Hardtail) 29er has 3x9, which includes a ├╝ber-low granny gear and an almost over-drive top gear.
    Doing the Alice Springs 5-day Enduro a couple of years ago, I used every gear on nearly every stage and I was thankful to have the range.
    It is now retired to be the gym/commuter bike (fitted flats)

My Spesh full-carbon Epic Marathon 29er dually is converted 1x11 and has a 'taller' granny gear and 'shorter' top gear (than Rockhopper) which requires a bit more input - grunt on technical sections and higher cadence on fast trails.
    The reduced weight of the Epic(Vs Ally Rockhopper) is very noticeable and allows me to engage a higher gear on most terrain.
    The Epic has the Specialized 'Brain' suspension which I leave engaged (have set shock pressures for my weight) and dis-engage the brain when jumping/downhill (note. The Epic is the other end of the spectrum compared to a Downhill bike)

When I'm not 'bike fit', I find I'm looking for an in-between gear with 1x11 on real technical trails.

29er vs 650 vs 26" is really a personal choice, as all wheel sizes have their benefits - being a biggish bloke, 29ers are my choice.

A good quality dually won't 'bob' when pedalled and/or can be locked-out (front and rear) - some have lock-out levers on the bars to eliminate the need to reach down.

Tubeless, dropper posts, carbon cranks, carbon everything's, wheel sets, upgraded forks, brakes.........

And you might think motorcycling is expensive??
    DARK-SIDE likes this.
  4. galbo950

galbo950 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A good quality dually won't 'bob' when pedalled and/or can be locked-out (front and rear) - some have lock-out levers on the bars to eliminate the need to reach down.

Ive had the Trek Top Fuel 9 for about 3 months now and love it, it replaced a 2015 Giant Trance 2. Sadly though it's fitted with the Fox remote lock out lever for the front and rear suspension, all I can say is that the lever is crap. I'm onto my 4th lever now as they keep breaking. Lucky it's all under warranty. Fox need a good reaming over the levers design.
  5. DeLewis

DeLewis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been running 1x9 on my '09 Anthem for years - mostly commuting, 40t on the front and a road bike cassette on the rear. Easton Haven 29" wheelset for road riding with road slicks (yes they just fit a 26" frame) and swap out with 26" wheelset with Mtb cassette for off road duties. I find the 40t single front chainring fine for on and off road duties though obviously you may have to crank a little up the hills. As previously commented, the design on modern duallies means you lose very little energy through suspension bob - I never lock out the suspension even when commuting - makes for the ultimate 'urban assault' bike; jump gutters, etc just as easily as riding with a peloton of road riders.
  6. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
  7. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's horrendous - poor bloke
  8. stujamur

stujamur keep rollin rollin rollin

Oddometer:
    AUSSIEADV likes this.
  9. DeLewis

DeLewis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't know too much about the Avantis but bear in mind that Giant also offer a life time guarantee on the frames (at least they did when I last checked). And I know two riders personally who have had their Anthems replaced for free. The Anthem is still one of the lightest and best value duallies out there.
  10. davorallyfan

davorallyfan Commonist

Oddometer:
    Was a skid kid once. It was a teen crime diversion program. Lots of fun but they would not let you do this now.

Th pinnacle was a Healing Ace frame (Malvern 5 stars were also good) 27 inch wheels, Airlight flanged hubs mx inch think bars, gooseheck head stem, single ratchet cog no brakes (used shoe)...

Bikes with engines are more interesting
    numbat likes this.
  11. stujamur

stujamur keep rollin rollin rollin

Oddometer:
    I am drawn to the avanti as the spec on the avanti torrent cs.2 is way higher the the giant anthem 2 and works out $200 cheaper at the moment .
    A few friends also said go giant .. i checked and there is lifetime warranty on avanti frames when bought from an avanti plus shop .
    DeLewis likes this.
  12. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
  13. Reeksy

Reeksy high state of hiatus

Oddometer:
    I've a 2005 Avanti Barracuda. Frame has lasted well. Just sold a 2016 Giant... no significant issues, but I was not impressed with the finish on the frame. A few spots where I could see there would be future problems.
    Just bought a Santa Cruz. Now we're talking

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  14. Reeksy

Oddometer:
  15. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Which one did you buy Reeksy?
    Used to race on them.
  16. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Some years you can pick up top of the range frames on run out from the previous year and then a cheaper bike on runout with really good spec gear and forks on them and build up one great bike and sell the other frame off.
    Giants were always good just to buy for their groupset and sell the frame off and then build up a frame from someone like Lynskey, Santa Cruz, Ventana or Intense etc.
    AUSSIEADV likes this.
  17. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    Thanks Reeksy, only I wouldn't know what I was looking at.
  18. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    It looks like a perfectly good bike for the price, you just need to decide if it'd be better forking out more to get something with a drp seat post ( ie ability to remotely lower the seat as you switch between ruding on the pegs vs riding seated) . I'd personally be perfectly happy with it - think swm 510 rather than 2017 ktm 500 exc.
    AUSSIEADV likes this.
  19. Reeksy

Oddometer:
    A custom build highball cc 29er.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  20. Bluetonguejak

Bluetonguejak Pretend racer

Oddometer:
    Anybody in OzADVland into Cyclocross bikes? (Think Supermoto of the bicycle world - sorta)