SoCal as a Homebase for Day Trippin'...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by black 8, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way...

Oddometer:
    THIS ^^^ ride report inspired me to put this route on my bucket list. I love @dave6253 's reports and photos. I just need to find a full week of time to commit to this trip.
    dave6253, black 8 and klaviator like this.
  2. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm in no hurry for my search to find a BDR specific bike... with all this rain we've been having, inmates have been reporting trail washout, mudfest, and snow in some of the mountain passes... I'll make a run for the BDR later in the fall when it cools off and once I have the new bike dialed in...

I've also been keeping an eye on Death Valley but conditions aren't any better out there either with all this rain... Death Valley Road Conditions <--- facebook... (2 hrs ago) "It has been raining steadily for over 5 hours. We know there’s flash flooding in the park, but don’t have specific reports. Reminder: never drive through a flash flood." with the majority of paved and unpaved road closed...

Untitled (1).jpg
  3. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The seat on the Monkey bike is way better than any dual sport bike and the riding position isn't bad. I'm 6-2 and didn't feel cramped on it like on a Grom.

[​IMG]

It's not a Gold Wing but I could see doing 300 miles days on one.
    sealsam and black 8 like this.
  4. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I remember my tour in Alaska well... In the winter we had to " ex-xer-cise " the snow machines in order to keep the juices flowing so they would be in tip-top shape when needed them... also some snow shoeing and cross-country skiing for PT...

Hang in there Vick, we're on the downhill side and a tiny glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel...
    MYUMPH and Project Mayhem like this.
  5. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got a hunch it will be a compromise between a 250 and a higher displacement bike... but the weight will still play a big factor...
    MYUMPH likes this.
  6. klaviator

Oddometer:
    There are big bore kits available for most it not all the 250s out there. I've got a friend with a KLX350. The CRF250 I rode with on Saturday was 304cc. One issue with doing that it will increase gas consumption.
    black 8 likes this.
  7. klaviator

Oddometer:
    black 8 likes this.
  8. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks klav, I'm not looking to install a big bore kit, I'd like to keep the engine in stock form as the manufacturer intended...

The only farkles I'll add are: skid plate, hand guards, and a rear PM Rack...
  9. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    klaviator likes this.
  10. klaviator

Oddometer:
    :thumb

I'll be doing the same with whatever I get although I'll probably get a bigger tank as well. Most DS bikes these days have tiny tanks.
    eaglescan and black 8 like this.
  11. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    ~ 7 Mar 2019

Got 'em finally, slowly but surely things are falling into place...

I specifically built my own G1 Butler Map set for the Southwest, PNW, and Rocky Mountain States (minus). These will come in handy in May when I make my annual "motography" trip (is that even a word?)... I'll be leaving on a 20(+) day exploration of Southern CA, NV, ID, Eastern WA, MT, and UT... When I get back I'll recover a bit and let the funds build back up before I tackle some of the BDRs with side trips to Death Valley and Borrego Springs when it cools off in the fall...
    IMG_1037.jpg

I tipped the first domino in motion last summer when I purchased my Kriega Overland-S system with the knowledge that I wanted to tackle the BDR in the following year.. I prefer the soft luggage over hard panniers because if/when the bike tips over, the soft luggage will absorb the impact instead of transferring the force to the bike's frame. That and I don't want to break a leg if I have another get-off...
    os-group3 (1).jpg

Right now I have the OS-12L dry bags mounted to the Enduro... I like the Kriega system bags because they are modular and I can configure the luggage for the type of ride I want to do... I have the option to mount both OS-12s and the Rotopax jugs pictured below OR go with the OS-32L dry bag on one side if I want more capacity with an OS-12L on the reverse side with both Rotopax jugs if required, OR I can mount both the OS-32L dry bags should I take the Enduro for some long distance get-aways... The Kriega Overland-S system is flexible and provides me with all sorts of options...
    3.jpg

I still need the OS-Base so I can attach the 12L dry bags to complete the luggage for the BDR... the final piece of the puzzle being the skinny bike...
    kriega_os_base_fitting.jpg
    B10Dave, sealsam, MYUMPH and 3 others like this.
  12. Zubb

Oddometer:
    rodrigzj and black 8 like this.
  13. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The weather in Borrego sucks right now with all the wind and clouds forecasted for this weekend and into next week. I'm planning a ride to Borrego when it clears to see the desert bloom if you have some time... I'll be taking the Enduro with me...

Borrego Springs Flower Report <----

Untitled.jpg
    sealsam, MYUMPH and klaviator like this.
  14. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had to take a screen shot of that “bad boy” DUCATI ! Sweet Rudy and lookin’ damn good! Congrats on maps. Let us know when you hit the trail north. Would be cool to met up somewhere on your route thats for sure. What month are you thinking? EDIT: we are thinking of hitting road to 3 step hideaway May 1 in no hurry either. Got til 21st to get back
    black 8 likes this.
  15. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Eric, I'll be leaving within the first week of May... date not set in stone yet. I'll be using my lifetime pass meandering through some of the National Parks along the way to Spokane. I'd like to meet you and the adventure queen @HoneyBunny. I'm planning to do a live report so you should be able to see my progress and we can gauge a meetup in between somewhere...
  16. Zubb

Oddometer:
    beware . . .
    wifey and i took a little SUV spin a couple years ago to see the super bloom on the weekend. It was the longest day of our life. We took 8>Ocotillo>Borrego. As we neared Borrego the traffic thickened. We checked every single food place in town and all have waits of 1.5-2.5 hours to get seated. Every single one. I kid you not we spent an hour and a half checking them all out. Heading back to San Diego we stopped at Santa Isabel for our lunch at 6pm. Ugh. I'll never do that again. Go mid week..... on the bike!
    Honda-50 and black 8 like this.
  17. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info Kelly...
    Zubb likes this.
  18. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Who knew that the Loneliest Highway in Nevada would still have snow in mid-May... an inmate took this photo on Memorial Day Weekend of 2012: Nevada U.S. 50
    hwy 50.jpg

looks like my departure date will be pushed to the right by a week or two due to snow at higher elevations of 7,000 in some places...
  19. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Better late than trying to play in the snow Rudy. Us retired guys got lots of time anyway. Every day is Saturday now.
    klaviator, dano619 and black 8 like this.
  20. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    ha! sometimes I don't even know what day it is and have to look at my phone for the date OR I only know that it's Sunday because the motorcycle shops are closed that day...

Hope you are enjoying FL this time of year instead of all that snow back home... I see lots of BC plates here specially over in Palm Springs...

best regards Dave...

Rudy
    klaviator and B10Dave like this.