SoCal as a Homebase for Day Trippin'...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by black 8, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    AHH...the old dreaded SAND. I can say this. I used to spank a KX500 in the dunes of Oregon at blistering speed. No worries what so ever. Nice big sweeper turns and all. Was a rush thats for sure. Move forward to today and the story is different! 2 up fully loaded on a big bike..ummm...yeah the ol’ pucker meter maxxes out! So much different I feel like a rookie in the stuff. Would be nice to keep up speed and blast through it but that aint happening! So the feelings you have about the shit will most likely never leave you. Just one of the evils we will encounter and add to the adventure I suppose. Its just such a gross feeling having the front end being all sketchy moving about and Honeybunny can feel every bit of it too. Once we clear the stuff its a definate relief!! Just my 2 cents Rudy.(your not alone!) Cheers!
    black 8 likes this.
  2. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    At least I got some more riding experience on sand... a big difference from the very first time my tires hit sand almost a year ago where I was white knuckling the bars and fighting it every step of the way...

The KLR is such a pig that I imagine a 250+ lb bike handles much better in sand vs. the KLR's current weight of almost 500 lbs with all the farkles, tools, and 3 gallons of gas I had in the tank...
    Oldschoolrocker and eaglescan like this.
  3. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks

Oddometer:
    Thanks so much for the photo posting info. I thought I would need acct. with Smug mug or ? I have my pictures on the PC.
    Regarding the sand riding, my bike is about 360 lbs. and I learned something about the fork angle that makes a big difference. I had raised the tubes up about 3/4 inches in the triple clamps to lower the bike. Bad in sand, put them back to stock and much better. I also have the Metzler Sahara enduro tires on, and feel it stays straighter in the sand than the knobbies I have used. Just my experience. cheers.
    klaviator and black 8 like this.
  4. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way...

Oddometer:
    The big Boxers prefer to go 'straight' in sand. A couple old dogs taught me to gas it when the front end starts the ol' sand death wiggle. I'm still learning a lot about sand and the big GSA, but have been trying another technique born from my own frustration. I have experimented with actually shaking the handle bars left/right while juicing the throttle when things get wonky. I've never heard others talk of doing this (it sounds stupid to me as I write it) but at some point I figured what have I got to lose. And ..... for ME ..... I've saved more than a few crashes by doing this. Don't ask me why. I don't know. It's just helped me numerous times when things went from "uh-oh" to "this-is-gonna-hurt". YMMV.

I think you'll really like the B'mer once you are out there. By all reviews the Shinko's should treat you very well and it's my next tire purchase. I've come to loathe the K60's that are on my 1150 now. It's nice to have a 50/50 tire as my daily drivers because I don't have to re-mount some honest off road / sand friendly tires for those desert forays. But the K60's while adequate, just don't do it for me anymore and I'm looking forward to a better road and sand tire (if that's possible). My son runs 804/805's daily in Seattle and says he runs them all the way over to the edge on paved, and they are almost as good as TKC80's off road in the PNW mud. I look forward to your experience with them.
    Oldschoolrocker and black 8 like this.
  5. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've seen that as well... it's recommended that the forks be lowered to the minimum and set the sag so the bike squats in the rear... Not that I will be at the level in the video but every bit helps. Dunlop D606s will be the next tire for the KLR...
  6. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The GSA is so easy to ride since the center of gravity is low. If I keep the suspension in low mode I can flat foot it in the more difficult stuff I recon instead of setting it to max where I'm on the tips of my toes.

At this point, the only reason it hasn't gone off-road yet is because I have the OEM Anakee 3s mounted.

Plus, I figure I'd make all the mistakes with the KLR before attempting anything with the GSA...
  7. Zubb

Oddometer:
    You are definitely smarter than me.

My first 2 or 3 sand rides were on Anakee 3's. Everyone kept looking at my tires and shaking their heads. :rofl
    I'll be the first to say it's the Indian, not the Arrow. But dang, putting 50/50 tires on made a Hella-Difference!
    black 8 and Project Mayhem like this.
  8. Zubb

Oddometer:
  9. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    "If you want the front end light and the bike balanced, use the throttle by giving it a sharp burst of power. The sharp burst of power will transfer weight to the back wheel, stiffen the suspension, and lighten the front end."

Hey Kelley, thanks for the article. I actually performed the above technique yesterday (without knowing it) at the wash and it works. Every time I felt the front end wobble I just gave the throttle a whack and the bike literally stood up and went straight. My max speed at the wash was only 20mph... just enough momentum to keep me going in a somewhat straight line. However, I did not steer with my feet and knees... something that I had done at DV with the Enduro when I rode on The Racetrack...

All bets were off once I hit the soft stuff yesterday at Font's Point and I reverted back to natural instincts... I have not built that muscle memory where it's second nature (yet)...

If I was closer to some loose sand I'd be practicing these techniques DAILY...
  10. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sand Sucks!.......and that's all I have to say about that.
    Zubb, sealsam, Project Mayhem and 2 others like this.
  11. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes. It. Does. :p3rry
  12. Norty01

Norty01 RIDERCOACH (RETIRED!)

Oddometer:
    And deep sand sucks even more! When it comes to offroading, weight is the enemy. The difference between a 220lb bike, and a 550lb bike, is the difference between an Indy car and a Hyundai passenger car. Yes, it really is that drastic. Especially when in the soft stuff (mud/sand.) On a lighter bike, stability is increased, allowing for easier planing from lower speeds.
    black 8 likes this.
  13. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry about the 'beat up' Rudy!

Font's takes some work to get out there, I sure hope you found it worth it. I left town Wed at 8am, took 76 back to Oceanside then home. I kept an eye out for ya, but obviously missed ya. Left the valley @ 58*, hit the Yeti @ 38* with lots of clouds thinking to myself 'hope Rudy is layered up'.

Highland Valley Rd is a great little road, so is Mesa Grande near Lake Henshaw. Speaking of little known sleeper roads, DeLuz north of Fallbrook needs to be on your radar too! Weekdays only though.

Loving the reports Rudy, keep the 'balance'(thanks J. Lewis) brother!
    black 8 likes this.
  14. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I totally agree about less weight when off-road. I'm still in search for that light dual sport and have been looking hard at the 2019 WR250R but at $6,999 I could spend a few hundred dollars more for a leftover 2018 KTM 250 EXC-F at $7,495.00 and weighs almost 50 lbs less... (sans the haggling at this point)...

I'm in no hurry though, still waiting for more leftover 2018s to be discounted in the next few months where dealers put them in the "Must Go" category...
    Oldschoolrocker and klaviator like this.
  15. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    No worries Sam. I always appreciate suggestions to places that I didn't know existed... gives me a reason to throw a leg over the saddle and explore...

I'm glad to had ridden Font's Point for the view and the experience. The temps got up to 91℉ at the Point and when I went through Christmas Circle afterwards, my Casio Pathfinder said the temps were back down in the mid-60s... what a difference...

Funny you mentioned Fallbrook and De Luz, I was looking at that route yesterday for a change of pace from desert riding while I wait for roads to open at DV... I'll probably do that in the coming week.

For now I'm balancing the time between family and ride time with my "happy wife, happy life campaign" since she knows I'm in the market for a new light dual sport and the Honda Monkey... She asked me if I was downsizing to three bikes and I said "how about three and half?" and left it at that... :D
  16. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Explain to her that a 250 is actually half a bike and a 125 is only one quarter of a bike.....:D

That would get you 2 3/4 bikes:evil
  17. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks

Oddometer:
    Shit, I don't even have a 2nd bike, but I would like the scooter or a monkey for my needs !
    sealsam and black 8 like this.
  18. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Only one bike?:eek7 Is it even possible to live with only one bike??:confused
  19. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks

Oddometer:
    I would like to find a vintage 250, and use that more on the trails. Also tried an E bike, called Rad Power with fat tires. It was Ok, never got it on the sand, but the owner says it is stable.
    The bike shop in Borrego, takes a group rental & ride up Split mountain/ Fish creek and they survived!
    klaviator likes this.
  20. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fly and Ride option and costs $450.00 more than a WR250R...

~ 229cc thumper
    ~ 263 lbs
    ~ 5 speed transmission
    ~ 70 mph top speed
    ~ 87 octane gas
    ~ 2 gal tank
    ~ 70 mpg
    ~ 33 in seat height
    ~ 14 hp @ 11.65 ft-lbs

janus-gryffin-1-3.jpg