SoCal Coddiwompling... (500+ miles for a burger)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by black 8, Jul 12, 2017.

1. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    Thanks rodrigzj....

it just sucks riding the pine while I look out the window with the sun shinning and temps in the mid-60s...
    giphy.gif
    Oldschoolrocker and rodrigzj like this.
  2. rodrigzj

rodrigzj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah I bet!
    The season has begun time to put them miles on. Knowing you I am sure you will more than make up for them.
    Take care.
    black 8 likes this.
  3. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way...

Oddometer:
    Don't worry. I patrolled all the good stuff between here and Pheonix for you last weekend. It's all good.
    [​IMG]

Get some rest. Shoot Tequila. Draw on maps. Nite nite.
  4. black 8

Oddometer:
    rub some salt why don't cha'... :lol3

seriously, glad you can get out and ride...
    klaviator and Zubb like this.
  5. Wierdrider

Wierdrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is where we need unlike buttons!
    black 8 likes this.
  6. Wierdrider

Oddometer:
    That’s a great shot Zubb, next time, try the Super Man Pose! A2072AA3-ABE2-4C66-B4E2-9094E85C2323.jpeg
    black 8 likes this.
  7. black 8

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I hear ya... I'm sleeping on the couch so as not to spread anything...
    Wierdrider likes this.
  8. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    Damn Rudy...still feelin’ like Dog shit down there? Sheesh its quiet around here. :puke2
    black 8 likes this.
  9. black 8

Oddometer:
    I’m on the tail end now, I managed to get some vitamin D today when I ran errands with the wife since we have not left the house in nearly a week... good thing the fridge was stocked...
  10. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow! Always, always good happening on your thread Rudy. I will be interested in what you land on for a new ride that fits your niche. I don't do much off-roading here in the east so I landed on a Husky Svartpilen and so far love it. Too bad they don't make a more serious offroad version. I too have a upper respitory infection and I'm hammering the Dayquil/Nyquil trying to lick it. I'll try to check in on your adventures more often as I really enjoy your perspective on life, photos and narrative.

All the best,

Eric
  11. black 8

Oddometer:
    Hope you kick the bug soon Eric... I really like that Husky Svartpilen... looks like it would be a lot of fun on country gravel roads...

As for me, I'm using this time to get ahead by getting the bike and gear ready for my ride next month... I can't wait to get back on the road for a few weeks...

:beer,
    Rudy
  12. black 8

Oddometer:
    ~ 6 April 2019

Gorgeous day for a ride to downtown San Diego...
    Untitled.jpg
    sealsam and tjt94 like this.
  13. black 8

Oddometer:
    I've been cooped up for nearly two weeks and it was agony trying to get rid of that d@mn flu... all I could do was scour ADV Rider to read about everyone else's adventures and shopping on eBay / Amazon... However, today I finally felt well enough to throw a leg over the saddle and ride...

It was a gorgeous day so I thought I'd ride along the PCH down to San Diego and look at some bikes... nothing like riding on a mild spring day in the mid-60s, the sun shinning, smell of the sea air, and suntan lotion...
    1.jpg

the seaside towns were busy this morning with people having brunch at sidewalk cafés...
    2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg
  14. black 8

Oddometer:
    first stop was Fun Bike Center in San Diego, they finally got a batch of Monkeys in but only in red... Peter tells me that a few people had deposits down on Banana Yellow which happens to be the color that I want. I did sit on one to check out the ergonomics and it was the most comfortable motorcycle seat I've sat on. The seating position is on the cramp side though... The only thing that worries me if I take one of these on a cross-country trip is the weight... as in I'm afraid to crawl out of my tent only to find it missing b/c someone picked it up and carted it off somewhere... This thing is so light I can pick it up off the ground... Ohhh and the other thing I asked Peter, Why I can go out a test ride a 20K Ducati but can't test ride 6K Honda CRF250L Rally??? :fpalm
    5.jpg

afterwards it was off to GP Motorcycles in the heart of San Diego...
    6.jpg

they had a couple of used KTM 500 EXCs and one an EXC-F... I wanted to see if they'd let me test ride one to finally get it out of my system as a possible BDR bike...
    7.jpg

this used 2018 was going for a little over 10K with only 300 miles on it with a Seat Concepts saddle and Cycra hand guards installed... but the kicker being no set-up, freight, doc, or license fees with the first service completed... seems like a sweet deal that I could go for until I test rode it... The KTM 500 EXC-F is definitely the right tool for the dirt with it's dry weight of 240 lbs but; (1) its a rough ride on surface streets, (2) its basically a racebike that wants to be revved (3) maintenance is counted in hours vs. miles, (4) the foot ergos are weird... I had to point my toes inboard to reach them, (5) ohhhh the tall seat height, (6) this is something that I would NOT want to ride out to Death Valley or to Yuma for the start of the CABDR... the bike can make it and some riders have... but I won't be one of them with my riding style... so the search continues...
    8.jpg

I'm just glad to be back on the saddle... :happay :wings
  15. Wierdrider

Oddometer:
    Glad your feeling better Rudy :clap
    klaviator and black 8 like this.
  16. black 8

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jim...
    Wierdrider likes this.
  17. dano619

dano619 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On the road/dirt again.....sounds like a song......glad your back in the saddle!!
    Wierdrider and black 8 like this.
  18. black 8

Oddometer:
    Sooooo nice to get out and ride again...

I'm within three weeks of leaving for my multi week spring ride and I'm getting restless... like tryin' to get ketchup outta the bottle slow...
    sealsam, klaviator and Wierdrider like this.
  19. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    Its funny you mention not being able to test ride motorcycles. That happened to us too. Went to check out Tenere’s and Africa Twins at a place. “Come back on demo days” was what he said. So we ended up stopping at a dealership in Oregon on the way to visit my Mom at he coast. Rode plenty that day and it was then that we realized the 1290R was a bad boy. Found a 1290 T model closer to home and bought it w/o a ride. Wasnt even looking at KTM’s!! Test rides are the way to go if they want you to buy. Weird how some places dont. Cheers Rudy!
    Wierdrider and black 8 like this.
  20. black 8

Oddometer:
    My sentiments exactly... you need to bond with the bike through the test ride to see if the two of you will be a good fit...