SoCal Coddiwompling... (500+ miles for a burger)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by black 8, Jul 12, 2017.

1. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
  2. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way...

Oddometer:
    Just thought I'd pop in Rudy and say Hi. A friend we have in Escondido loaned me his Stelvio for a little ride this last weekend. They are amazing bikes and I could really enjoy having one. But I did whine a little every time we rode by a dirt or gravel road that looked interesting.
    [​IMG]
    Skooter, Wierdrider and black 8 like this.
  3. black 8

Oddometer:
    Zubb,

I thought he sold that?

Yes... the Stelvio is stoutly built and rock solid...but comes at the price of being a pig wallowing in mud and sand...
    I'm looking forward to reading your exploits... :beer

cheers
  4. Zubb

Oddometer:
    Great trip, great bike, hope to do a proper write up and photo dump. Came home to a heavy schedule for a few days though. That's the price of getting away for 4 days. I kept thinking of you and your Route 66 trip as we crossed the route several times. I definitely want to go 'see it' sometime when the calendars less crowded. I'm falling in love with Arizona. Such a great variety there.
    klaviator, Wierdrider and black 8 like this.
  5. Zubb

Oddometer:
    By the way, no. Not yet but I know he wants to. I'd buy it in a heartbeat if I thought I could handle owning 2 bikes. Have decided though to not temp fate, or my wife wrath (more than I do now).
    black 8 likes this.
  6. black 8

Oddometer:
    My 11 day / 3,531 mile trip to the PNW and back in a nutshell...

rickj, wrussell61, B10Dave and 6 others like this.
  7. Wierdrider

Wierdrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know I like it even before I watch it:clap
    black 8 likes this.
  8. black 8

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jim...
  9. Wierdrider

Wierdrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep, I was right, looks like you had another wonderful trip
    Cheers Rudy
    black 8 likes this.
  10. black 8

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  11. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rudy,

Great videos and I sure wish I had your editing skills. Thanks for sharing with us and it looks like you're having a grand time on this trip.

Eric
    black 8 likes this.
  12. black 8

Oddometer:
    Thanks Eric...

It's all trial and error on the editing, like putting a jigsaw puzzle together.. and yes I had a blast on this trip. I'll be reliving this trip every time I re-read the report and watch the videos...
    The Virginian likes this.
  13. Zubb

Oddometer:
    Well done sir!
    black 8 likes this.
  14. black 8

Oddometer:
    Thanks Kelly... I'm getting caught up with "Honey Do's" and with cleaning up gear before I hop back on the saddle...

Too bad much of the roads in Death Valley still remains closed due to construction and weather damage... I was hoping that CALTRANS/Park Service would have made some progress by this time...
    klaviator and Zubb like this.
  15. black 8

Oddometer:
    ~ 29 May 2019

The GSA gets a new set of shoes...

I took the GSA in for service today, I noticed some weeping from the right fork during my PNW coddiwomple that necessitated replacing the fork seal; which BTW was covered under warranty. Since I was there, I had a set of Bridgestone Battlax Adventurecross AX41s installed for more off-road grip when I explore local trails, Borrego, and Death Valley...
    1.jpg

definitely more aggressive than the OEM Michelin Anakee III it replaces... yeah, I could feel those tread blocks on the ride home and they had that hum (vice howl) that off-road tires have...
    2.jpg

I want to memorialize my relationship with these Adventurecross AX41s so I'm taking measurements from the get go... 7mm in the front and 10mm in the rear... I'll keep them at the recommended on-road pressure of 35 psi front/rear, I may drop them down to 30 psi whenever I go off-road. I'll be happy with these tires if they last somewhere around 5K of mixed road/off-road use...
    4.jpg

3.jpg

I was all set to give the GSA a wash afterwards to get rid of all the road grime and dead bugs... while I waited at the service department, I thought "why wash the GSA when I'm only going to get it dirty again" when I take her off-road to test the Enduro Pro mode and the AX41s...
  16. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is some nice aggresive tread Rudy. I’ll be watching to see what kind of mileage you get outta them. I run the hated K60’s, 13k on my front and I get over 7k outta the rear. Needless to say I do love them and havent found a reason to switch to something else. I have had zero problems with them even my custom cut up rears. Cheers!
    bobw and black 8 like this.
  17. black 8

Oddometer:

I looked at all brands of tires before settling on the Bridgestone's, Chaparral Motorsport gave them a good review so I thought I'd try them out... I wanted something more aggressive to take me off the beaten path other than your standard run of the mill TKC80s; which lasts' less than 4K in some reviews... A set of Bridgestone's for the GSA was going for $256.00 at RMAT/V aaaannd they were running a special for the month of April with a $60.00 rebate per set... so it ended up costing me less than $200.00 for these 40%/60% tires... I also bought a set for the F800 and in the end cost me around $140.00 after the rebate...

I did look at the K60s for their long life, but I didn't like that center continuous patch for off-road use in sand and gravel... mud not so much cuz' we don't get a lot of that in SoCal... we have to travel a ways to get some...
  18. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    5A5F4254-FE81-419B-A25D-BA005EA902A5.jpeg yep..damn rib good on hwy but I had to test it out!
    bobw, Wierdrider and black 8 like this.
  19. Zubb

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to your review Rudy. I'm done running K60's on my GS. They are just fine for big bike off pavement like we have here. But during our recent rains I did 'lose the rear' twice on pavement. Not poop-your-pants moments, but enough to make me take them off and be done. I rate the K60 front as the worst tire I've ever run. TKC80 front was 10 times better both on road and off.
    I've now switched back to an 80/20 set up and am much happier commuting and riding long high speed days (Yuma. Pheonix.). Haven't taken them off road yet but expect them to be quite good for light duty days.
    Kudo's for trying out some very meaty skins. Looking forward to pics of your adventures on Terra Firma worthy of those big knobs! Let us know if for some magical reason they do NOT howl like trapped wolf at highway speeds.
    black 8 and bobw like this.
  20. bobw

bobw Harden the phuck up

Oddometer:
    I'm interested how they treat you too as I am always on the continual "perfect tire quest". I just picked up a new F850 and it has the karoo3 tires that I had mixed feelings on given some posts I've read, but they are doing much better than I expected on both our twisty mountain roads, dirt lanes and even boney old jeep trails (no mud yet). Not too noisy and even right to the edge no real "knobby" rumbling/walking feedback. They will be shot after another couple local rides and I had settled on Conti Trail Attack3 as they have the rebate from Rocky Mountain too. Anyway, if these aren't too noisy and give you good handling please share your initial thoughts of them as I can wait a couple weeks and would try these as I would like more "dirt" capable than the new Conti and while too soon to even guess, in the long run I need no less wear rate than the Karoo3 as they may make 3000+ miles. I decided to use the Motoz for AK next year, but all these new tires are keeping the options changing almost as fast as smart phone upgrades, love it and I have time to try/wear out a few sets before I make the final call.

Cheers
    black 8 likes this.