SoCal Coddiwompling... (Monkeying around SoCal)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by black 8, Jul 12, 2017.

1. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    thanks for the idea klav, I'm no longer "prohibited" from participating in certain activities when I take the family on a cruise at the end of the year... you remember those days; can't ride this, can't rent that, can't, can't, can't....
    klaviator likes this.
  2. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The family may enjoy it as well. No MC endorsement required to ride a 50cc Ruckus in Alaska.
    black 8 likes this.
  3. black 8

Oddometer:
    probably 30+ days of living off the bike...
    klaviator and Oldschoolrocker like this.
  4. rickj

rickj Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like you had a great ride in Skagway! Unfortunately for me, my wife quit riding with me years ago and I can't imagine her riding her own scoot. She doesn't even know how to ride a bicycle! I had suggested going up to Alaska on the cruise ship with the family and then splitting off for a week or so to drive around the area with a Jeep. The idea was to show my wife some of the areas we've visited on bikes like Dawson City, the Dempster, Denali Highway, etc. but she wants to wait until we go up there the following year with our truck and trailer. I've got to be patient...
    bobw, black 8 and klaviator like this.
  5. rickj

rickj Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Slowing down and enjoying the ride up north is a great idea. We did slow down on last summer's ride and only had a general route to follow, and it worked out great. I think you can never have enough time to see it all up there, which I think is why many folks go up there every year. I only wish I could...

We're definitely getting in retirement mode. We bought a 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie with 4X4 and lots of options, so it's pretty comfortable. The trailer is a Forest River Flagstaff 25FBLS, which is 26' long and I think the ideal size. I bought it from an outfit in Iowa, and they're going to deliver it as far as Denver next month. We'll pick it up in Idaho Springs and then spend a week getting to know it on the way back home.

"Happy wife, happy life" is a wise philosophy to live by!

Let's get out and ride soon! End of hijack and back to the scheduled programming on coddiwomping.

Rick
    black 8 and Wierdrider like this.
  6. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rudy; they have bike rentals in Charlotte Amalie; St Thomas. Ask me how I know.......twice...........just sayin'.
    black 8 likes this.
  7. black 8

Oddometer:
    ~ 5 July 2019

“When life throws you a curve ball... lean into it.”

I’ve been quite these past few weeks and for good reason. Since my burger challenge at Middlegate Station, I have been going back and forth about going to Alaska this summer on August 1st... I proposed my plan to Mrs. B8 and she gave me the nod to GO, she controls the purse strings BTW... My mind started going a million miles a minute; what bike to take?, what luggage? what gear to pack?, I need new tires… you know - the usual stuff when you get ready for a trip.

My days have been spent plotting gas and camping stops throughout Canada and Alaska so I don't have to guess where my next supply of go-go juice would come from or where I would lay my head at the end of the day...
    Alaska.jpg

In between all the research and lurking the current crop of Alaska ride reports, I managed to pack the KLR with the lightest load I felt comfortable with spending 30+ days living off the bike... this is what she looks like ready to go; she's way lighter than my 2017 trip to Alaska...
    1.jpg

All I needed were new tires and I ordered Bridgestone's yesterday for my trip but they won't get here until next week. I planned to mount them and get them scrubbed prior to the trip... HOWEVER,
    Tires.jpg

today my Mom called to see if we were OK due to the recent 6.5 magnitude earthquake out at Ridgecrest, CA and therein lies the rub... My parents are OK but they need some help and I happily said yes... so my plans have changed and I am now leaving for Kissimmee, FL on Monday where I'll be making some "lemonade" along the way...

You never know what curve balls will get thrown your way... all you can do is lean into it and commit. Same as taking a curve with a bike... in this case I'm already looking through the curve and picking my line for the next twist in the road... i.e. Utah and Arizona in the fall, Christmas vacation, and Alaska in the spring of 2020...

I'll be reconfiguring the KLR for a cross-country trip this weekend and take out all the camping gear... no camping for this run amidst all the rain and humidity I expect to run into the Gulf Coast states...

:beer
  8. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rudy; sorry to see your trip plans change but family stuff is more important. Enjoy your parents while you can. My Mom passed 5 years ago and we lost Dad June 26th at the age of 94. Life will sure be different for awhile as we get used to not having him around.
    bobw, black 8 and klaviator like this.
  9. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Rudy, I can relate since helping out my parents has caused me to change my plans for retirement rides as well. I hope you get to spend some quality time with your parents like I have with mine. I'm back in Ohio for the rest of the week helping them out......and hopefully doing some riding.

I'm curious why you chose to take the KLR over your bigger bikes for what looks to be a long road trip. Or are you planning on doing the TAT on the way home?

If your route coming or going takes you a little north then I've got a spare bedroom and some garage space if you happen to come through Huntsville.
    bobw, black 8, Zubb and 1 other person like this.
  10. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way...

Oddometer:
    You made a good call Rudy. Love them while you got them ! Parents that is.
    I have to admit though I’m beginning to wonder if you’re OK. I mean with all that heavy iron you have sitting in your garage and you chose the Kawi to go cross country?

:hide
  11. Zubb

Oddometer:
    Now that’s a worthy question. I was talking with some kid yesterday in Texas, or was it Oklahoma, who did the Tat with friends a few years ago. And of course he couldn’t stop talking about it or recommending it high enough. He had me thinking I could even do it On my 1200.
    Yes, I think you’ve outed him. He’s going to take the Tat home.
    black 8 likes this.
  12. black 8

Oddometer:
    Dave, sorry to hear about your Dad passing recently, but as you've said family is more important. I want to take every opportunity to see and spend time with them whenever I can since they are in their 70's...

Alaska will alway be there for a ride...

bobw, Wierdrider, klaviator and 2 others like this.
  13. black 8

Oddometer:
    Thanks klav... I figured as much since you haven't been riding around Rocket City... have fun up there...

As for the KLR... no plans to do the TAT or other side excursions... I thought about doing my Southwest coddiwomple to Utah and Arizona on the way back but the temps were still in the high 90s. The temps won't drop until the latter part of September/early October... :knary To complicate things, Mrs. B8's birthday is at the end of the month and I can't miss that... also I wanted to take the KLR since she didn't require any other maintenance when I did the valves, chains, and sprockets... I'm taking her on a last adventure before we part ways at the end of the year...

I may try to get some off-road on the way back at Big Bend National Park if I have some time to spare before Mrs. B8s birthday...

14. black 8

Oddometer:
    Ha! I'm OK... as much as I love taking the GSA or the Duc out for rides, there is something to be said about the simplicity of the KLR... Don't get me wrong, I like all the gigabyte stuff with ride-by-wire; ABS, TC, ride modes, CRUISE CONTROL...etc - but sometimes I like going back to the basics with the KLR. Unlike the GSA where you need a GS-911 to read/clear the fault codes, perform, and reset maintenance reminders... even with the Duc, I do as much of the maintenance as I can myself but I still have to take it to the dealer to update the firmware (GSA as well) and have them reset the maintenance indicator $$$$... with KLR I can just wrench and ride all day long and not worry about that stuff...

Also the KLR in the most ready to go right now, the others are just shy of upcoming maintenance cycles like; valve clearance, oil change, new tires, brake flush, and the like since I just used a couple of the bikes for my PNW trip and burger challenge... they would have required some kind of maintenance mid-stride and I didn't want to deal with that along the way...

However, they are ready for shorter trips less than 3K i.e. UT and AZ in the fall when I get back from Florida...

15. black 8

Oddometer:
    ~ 7 July 2019

Final bike prep...

Although I ordered the Bridgestone's for the KLR, they will not arrive in time so I had to mount a spare rear Shinko 805 I had laying around, the front still has some life in it... I also learned how to "true" a spoked wheel thanks to Rocky Mountain ATV/M DIY video... Now I'm just charging my electronics and doing some final packing for my early departure tomorrow to get ahead of rush hour traffic... My travels will consist mostly of Interstate and US Routes to make up time so I can get to Kissimmee in a timely manner... I'll have to challenge myself to see what motography compositions I can come up with for this trip...
    1.JPG
    B10Dave, bobw, Zubb and 6 others like this.
  16. Wierdrider

Wierdrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Safe travels Rudy. Say hello to the folks from all of us inmates. Take a nice portrait of them for us.
    B10Dave, black 8 and klaviator like this.
  17. klaviator

Oddometer:
    ^^^^ Yeah. Get your folks to sit on your KLR and post a pic!
    B10Dave, black 8 and Wierdrider like this.
  18. Project Mayhem

Project Mayhem Moto Aficionado Supporter

Oddometer:
    If the timing/route works, Al Campo is Mayhem approved as a dinner stop in Marfa.
    And, of course, any chance you get to hit a Blake's Lotaburger as you go across NM. There are locations in Deming, Las Cruces, and El Paso TX. (guessing you'll be spending a fair bit of time on I-10)
    Say it with me- Lotaburger with cheese and double green chile.
    Safe travels! :beer
    B10Dave, black 8 and Wierdrider like this.
  19. Zubb

Oddometer:
    Dang . . . I just spent the night in ABQ. Wish I'd have known about Blakes.
    Project Mayhem likes this.
  20. black 8

Oddometer:
    ~ 8/9 July 2019 (edit)

Not what I remember back then...

Before I retired, I owned a 2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 that I used for commuting duties in SoCal. Then shortly after I retired I went cross-country with the Versys for the very first time to see my parents in Florida. I thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread; being out on adventure with the bike super-slabbing it all the way to Kissimmee... :ricky ...NOT...

My thoughts on adventure touring certainly has changed since then... I hate being on the super-slab; I prefer US Routes and back roads since they offer a glimpse of "American yester-year..." so much history to see on those routes before they got by-passed by the Interstates... Now they just lay quietly waiting to be explored by weary travelers...

I have not taken out my camera from it's bag yet. Nothing has piqued my interest to snap a photo... just gas, a 32 ounce Powerade to hydrate, and go. Rinse and Repeat...The days are long with 10 hour days on the saddle plus the added time zone gain of one hour...

this has been my view for the past two days... but I have no choice since I'm trying to make-up time to get to FL...
    1.jpg

oh yeah it's freakin hot! 117.6 degrees says the Casio Pathfinder...
    2.jpg

crossed into Texas today...
    3.jpg

my mesh jacket and cooling vest have been indispensable during this July ride through the AZ, NM, and western TX thus far... it would have been miserable without these two items with the 110+ degree temps I've been coming across...
    4.jpg

B10Dave, MYUMPH and bobw like this.