SoCal Coddiwompling... (stayin' local)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by black 8, Jul 12, 2017.

1. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    Suffice to say, I enjoyed my Mom's cooking (and visit) during my stay :dukegirl...
    bobw, Wierdrider and klaviator like this.
  2. black 8

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah, I'll be scheduling that on the way back...
    Project Mayhem likes this.
  3. hbmarcus

hbmarcus Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Late arrival to this thread and enjoying the read but have to interject, riding a 450/500 certainly doesn't limit you to a 2 gallon tank. 4 and 5+ gallon tanks are very popular on these bikes.
    black 8 likes this.
  4. black 8

Oddometer:
    I couldn't agree more... when I was shopping for a light trail bike, I was looking at IMS/Safari tank options to extend the range. I even looked at Camel Adv tanks for the CRF250 Rally and WR250R...

Plus you know how difficult California can be with their rules on shipping IMS/Safari tanks with "NO CA" sales from the likes of RMATV/M...
    bobw likes this.
  5. black 8

Oddometer:
    ~ 27 July 2019

Home Sweet Home...

After 4 days fo traveling across the super-slab that is Interstate 10, I finally made it home yesterday evening but not without some drama... Once on Florida's I-75 I was treated to one more bout of rain as I made my way north to Lake City but otherwise dry for the rest of the trip. On the second day after leaving the hotel at Moss Point, two semi's collided on the west bound side of I-10 at Grosse Tete, LA... it was bad and I was stuck in stop-and-go traffic for two hours. During the entire time the sun was overhead and it just kept getting hotter and hotter specially with the added heat from the engine(s). I would go in between the lanes of traffic to find some shade beside the semi trucks since I couldn't legally split lanes. At about the 1.5 hour mark, I couldn't handle it anymore and I had to pull to the side and find some respite in the shade so I could take my helmet and jacket off. Some motorist were kind enough to give me a bottle of cold water to drink until I could get back on the bike. Just shows there are kind people out there...

https://www.theadvocate.com/acadian...cle_e22e3c3e-aef8-11e9-8c4d-cf5643c32714.html

gas and go all the way back to the west coast... this is one instance of me breaking out the DSLR out of it's case in Beaumont, TX...
    1.jpg

@Project Mayhem recommended I try the Green Chile burger at Blake's Lotaburger and I have to say it was one of the best burgers I've had in a long time... it was better than the Monster Burger at Middlegate Station where I tasted the bun more so than the burger... This was my first time having the Green Chile (double) burger and it came with all sorts of condiments so I asked for them on the side so I could taste just the burger and green chilies and it was "awee-soommeee"...

every time I'm the Southwest area I'll be stopping at Lotaburger to get my burger fix... Great call on the Green Chile burger V :thumb...
    2.jpg

As for the Shinkos; here's the front tire at 7.5K and they have to be replaced. I milked them on the way home since they were cupping... I thought I would have to get them replaced in El Paso but they made it home OK with tread to spare. It may look like plenty of tread left but the trailing edge of knobs were worn down by the wear bars in some places... They could probably have made it to 8K if I needed to...
    3.JPG

here's the rear tire at 5K and I could still probably get another 1.5 or maybe even 2K out of them... regardless they are staying on until they are fully worn down to the wear bars...
    4.JPG

Overall the Shinko 804/805 are awesome 50/50 tires and would be a good tire choice for any rider considering it's performance, value, and great tread life... YMMV of course; my average speed(s) were between 65 and 70mph... temps ranged from the mid-80s to as high as 123.8 coming home at Dateland, AZ yesterday...

Time to get the KLR cleaned up and gear put away while I get some relaxation from this cross-country run...

cheers for now...
    :beer
    popscycle, Wierdrider, bobw and 9 others like this.
  6. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good to see you got home OK Rudy. Break out the cold ones and relax with Mrs black 8. Everything else can wait til tomorrow.
    black 8 likes this.
  7. Project Mayhem

Project Mayhem Moto Aficionado Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad you made it home safe and am pleased & honored you not only took my recommendation but enjoyed it. :beer
    black 8 likes this.
  8. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cheers Rudy!! Good job! E83B3C9F-F2C8-422C-B07A-D7BB825B6C87.jpeg
    B10Dave, black 8 and Zubb like this.
  9. black 8

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dave, it's great to be back on the West Coast where I can enjoy the much milder climate... Time for some family time...
    B10Dave and klaviator like this.
  10. black 8

Oddometer:
    Thanks V, now I've got to get Mrs. B8 and the family to try the Green Chile burger...
    bobw and Project Mayhem like this.
  11. black 8

Oddometer:
  12. black 8

Oddometer:
    ~ 10 Aug 2019

Just for the record... (Cancer SUCKS!)

No... not me, but Mrs. B8's mother... She was diagnosed with breast cancer over the spring and is undergoing Chemo; upon the second round, suffered a stroke... So needless to say we are currently in Port Huron, MI visiting/helping while the siblings rotate in to help Mom #2 (been calling her Mom since day one)...

I imagine my riding season is curtailed for now... as @klaviator so succinctly stated "Unfortunately we are at that age where that kind of thing happens..."

:(
  13. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hopes and prayers to your family Rudy...
    Wierdrider and black 8 like this.
  14. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rudy, Sorry to hear about Mrs. B's mom. Cancer does indeed suck, from first hand experience....
    Prayers to you and yours from a former Yooper
  15. StayFrosty

StayFrosty Mid Life Crisis -Wish it happened 20 yrs ago Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry brother - seems to be a regular occurrence anymore and sucking just doesn't quite cover it. Thoughts and prayers
  16. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about your MIL Rudy. Hope she responds well to treatment. All the best from this end.
  17. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about your MIL's health problems Rudy. Hope she responds well to treatment and has a full recovery.
  18. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear this Rudy. Prayers for your MIL. I hope things turn out well.
    black 8 likes this.
  19. black 8

Oddometer:
    Thanks everyone...

We've been helping out with the recovery of Mrs. B8's Mom; she's made tremendous progress since we arrived a week ago... so much so that Mom will likely get transferred from the local hospital to a rehab center for six weeks with some speech and physical therapy... Luckily Mrs. B8's siblings and relatives have worked out a rotation with Mom's recovery progress... we're doing a high-five changeover on Monday morning...

Mrs. B8 working on getting Mom's calorie count up to 1,500 per day...
    IMG_1699.jpg

We head back to SoCal on Monday and will relax for a bit since I've gone cross-country twice in the last four weeks... usually I like getting back on the bike but I have no desire to get back on the road at this point... I'll just be living vicariously through some ride reports until I get that itch to throw a leg over the saddle...

:beer for now,

20. Wierdrider

Wierdrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :(
    Prayers going out to your Mil Rudy
    black 8 likes this.