SoCal Coddiwompling... (The CABDR on a vintage Yamaha)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by black 8, Jul 12, 2017.

1. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    coming down CA-138 meant that I would have to pick-up US-395 by Hesperia and head north towards Adelanto... if you've ever ridden/driven through there, it's nothing but miles and miles of traffic lights. Instead I opted to take The National Trails Highway (Route-66) at Victorville north to Helendale and cut east to pick up US-395... I'm always up for taking the road less traveled...
    9.jpg

that must be some great pizza cuz' Brad Pitt, Oprah, and Guy Fieri are advertising for them... :lol3
    12.jpg

more testing with the new kit...
    10.jpg

11.jpg

bobw, B10Dave, popscycle and 6 others like this.
  2. black 8

Oddometer:
    this is one of the reason's I love exploring the road less traveled... you discover long forgotten nuggets like this since the younger generation these days seems to want faster, better, in the now, and instant gratification instead of taking it slow and letting it all soak in...

Elmer's Bottle Tree Ranch along Route-66...

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg
    bobw, popscycle, NxtGoRnd and 6 others like this.
  3. black 8

Oddometer:
    17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg
    bobw, B10Dave, popscycle and 8 others like this.
  4. black 8

Oddometer:
    I just looked up that route... :thumb thanks...
    DeathValleyTiger likes this.
  5. black 8

Oddometer:
    after spending some time at the Bottle Tree Ranch, it was off to Shadow Mountain Rd. I was the only soul on this lonely road and that's fine by me, I rather like having the road all to myself. I can only speak for myself but I enjoy the solitude in moments like this; no distractions - just me, the bike, and the landscape...
    21.jpg

more open landscapes while headed north on US-395...
    22.jpg

ghost towns and old derelict buildings line US-395 and Randsburg is one of these hidden gems...
    23.jpg

back in it's heyday, Randsburg was a booming mining community...
    24.jpg
    bobw, B10Dave, popscycle and 6 others like this.
  6. black 8

Oddometer:
    This is downtown Randsburg and it boasts a population of 69. Don't come here during the weekday and expect the place to be teaming with life cuz' it's literally dead... whatever businesses that's home to Randsburg is only open from Friday through Sunday when tourist come to see the ghost town... the Randsburg residents live on the backsides of main-street and signs are posted asking riders to resist BRAAAAAAAPing their bikes on the side streets...
    25.jpg

I wanted to get some refreshments here only to find out they’re only open on the weekends...
    26.jpg

Evidently Randsburg is big time destination for desert riders... a couple of businesses were tailored specifically towards the off-road crowd... here the White House Saloon frowns upon riders from leaning their bikes on the railing and parking them on the porch... in fact when I arrived in town, there were three dirt riders in the parking lot adjacent to the saloon getting their gear ready...
    27.jpg

28.jpg
    bobw, B10Dave, popscycle and 7 others like this.
  7. black 8

Oddometer:
    I'm riding along US-395 headed north to Glacier View Campgrounds in Big Pine when I see the sign for Fossil Falls pointing to the right... I had seen pictures of Fossil Falls on some ride reports and thought I'd give it a go since I had plenty of time... Again I was the only soul in the area and had the whole place to myself... I don't like people photo bombing my landscape shots unless I can help it... Once you get to the parking lot, it's a quarter mile hike to the falls themselves. You have to traverse a walking trail strewn with "lava dogs" (if you've ever lived in Hawaii) and if you don't watch that step, one of those lava dogs will bite you when you fall...
    29.jpg

I googled the story behind these falls when I got back from my trip and in a nutshell the lava flow was sculpted a billion years ago by rushing water and wind late in the Ice Age... and over the eons the lava flow have been smoothed out by prevailing winds and water flow...
    30.jpg

31.jpg

standing from this vantage point a few miles down the chasm walls is Little Lake where the water collects from run-off whenever it rains...
    32.jpg

after looking at Fossil Falls I headed back to the parking lot and when I got back to the bike I had a piece of lava rock stuck to the bottom of my left boot... I ran my boot against the concrete sidewalk thinking I could dislodge the assailant... WRONG... instead I dislodge the sole of my Sidi Adventure boots... NO BUENO... granted they were 11 years old but I managed to loosen the sole to about the arch of the boot... faaaaack... My mind starts going a million miles an hour trying to come up with a work around... I did have duct tape but that would be seriously "ghetto." Worse come to worse I did bring a set of hiking boots as camp footwear... but hopefully I can come across a general store and buy some type of shoe goop...
    bobw, popscycle, MYUMPH and 6 others like this.
  8. black 8

Oddometer:
    I pulled into Big Pine at around 4:30 in the afternoon after a day of exploring... I stopped at the Chevron Station to fill up the bike and luckily it doubled as a general store that sold just about everything... I bought some Gorilla Glue, a gallon of water, and a can of Dinty Moore Beef Stew... I used half that bottle to temporarily fix the sole on my boot so I could use them for the next couple of days... here you can see how much of the sole was loose...
    33.jpg

my dinner for the evening... I didn't want to eat anything heavy since I'm going to Middlegate Station for a burger tomorrow... I didn't even pack my propane stove on this trip; just my canteen cup, canteen cup stove, and some heat tabs... it was still too hot even this late in the afternoon... IIRC the temps were still in the high 80's and I didn't feel like starting a fire until it cooled off a bit...
    IMG_1562.jpg

my campsite only cost me $15.00 at Glacier View Campgrounds and they charged another $2.00 for a token to use the showers... reminds me of camping in Canada where they charge you a loonie for a few minutes of shower time... after the sun had gone down behind the Easter Sierras, it finally cooled off so I scrounged some leftover pieces of wood laying around and started my fire... it didn't get fully dark until after 8:00 or so and I spent the rest of the evening around the campfire enjoying the earliest form of entertainment media, sipping on some coffee, and listening to tunes on my iPad mini... I stayed up until the fire went out at around 10:30 that evening... I was planning a late start anyway since it would only take me about three hours to get to Middlegate Station for lunch...
    34.jpg

35.jpg

cheers for now...
    :beer
    bobw, B10Dave, popscycle and 9 others like this.
  9. rodrigzj

rodrigzj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Whereabouts is Glacier view campground?
  10. black 8

Oddometer:
  11. rodrigzj

Oddometer:
    Thank you Sir.
    black 8 likes this.
  12. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That brings back some memories. I still remember the first time I rode up to Big Bear Lake on 38 and then back down via the Rim of the World Drive. What a spectacular view! At that time there was a lot of smog but you could see stuff like buildings and hills sticking up out of it.

You other pics are great as well. They give me an idea of how much I didn't see during the time I lived in SoCal.
    bobw, MYUMPH, NxtGoRnd and 2 others like this.
  13. black 8

Oddometer:
    thanks klav... considering that we were both on active status back in the day, we didn't see/explore as much as we wanted... this whole retirement thing has been great letting me explore at will... :raindance
    klaviator likes this.
  14. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    As usual Rudy ...great stuff and those damn pictures..my my. I could learn a few things from you thats for sure. I can wrench and build shit but just learned how to spell PC! Hahahaha! Cheers!
    MYUMPH, black 8 and klaviator like this.
  15. black 8

Oddometer:
    ~ 11 June 2019

"The Middlegate Monster Burger Challenge..."

Today's main effort is getting to Middlegate Station in order to take on their infamous Monster Burger Challenge. If you recall from my last visit here, it was way too early in the morning for the burger challenge; plus I don't know when I'll be back out this way again so I'm goin' for the BIG DOG of burgers as a once in a lifetime experience...

I just let myself slowly wake up this morning and took my time packing since I planned on leaving at 9:00am... Middlegate Station was only three hours away and I wasn't planning to take a whole bunch of photos along the way, that and I had already crossed some of this terrain already on my PNW coddiwomple... The other reason I wanted to go back to Middlegate Station was to take more high resolution photos... in my haste of cleaning up my portable hard drive, I accidentally erased some of my photos of Middlegate Station...

Day 2 Map.jpg
    bobw, popscycle, MYUMPH and 2 others like this.
  16. rodrigzj

Oddometer:
    Holy smokes that’s a big *ss burger.
    black 8 likes this.
  17. black 8

Oddometer:
    Once in a lifetime challenge... I had to do it...
    rodrigzj likes this.
  18. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way...

Oddometer:
    OMG!
    black 8 likes this.
  19. black 8

Oddometer:
    So far so good with this used Garmin Montana 680 I won on eBay. I was apprehensive about using it on this trip because it didn't come loaded with the detailed Garmin City Navigator North America NT, it only came preloaded with the basic global map and 100K topographical map... I also bought a pre-owned 24K topographical map of the US West for more detail. I'm still learning how to navigate through the menu and incorporating Garmin BaseCamp so I can create waypoints, download other user's .gpx files, and then send them to the Garmin unit. For right now, I just set which waypoint I want to ride to and leave it up to the Garmin to find the route. I still need to learn how to create routes in BaseCamp and then upload that to the gps rather than relying on it's auto routing. I've already loaded a couple of .gpx files onto the unit and figured out how to navigate the CABDR when the time comes...
    1.jpg

looking back at the Eastern Sierras... I just love the vast open landscapes when you compare it to the suburbs and traffic that is Southern California...
    2.jpg

3.jpg

landscape bliss...
    4.jpeg
    bobw, B10Dave, popscycle and 3 others like this.
  20. black 8

Oddometer:
    while headed north to Middlegate Station, I came across several abandoned and living communities, some with remnants of old west buildings similar to the ones I saw in Randsburg... I wish I could have stopped to take photos of some of them but the really good ones I wanted were on private property and clearly marked with "No Trespassing" and I didn't feel like getting shot at in these remote desert communities...
    5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg
    bobw, B10Dave, popscycle and 3 others like this.