SoCal Coddiwompling... (The CABDR on a vintage Yamaha)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by black 8, Jul 12, 2017.

1. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jim, will do...
    B10Dave likes this.
  2. black 8

Oddometer:
    I'll have to hit those on the way back V...

I read your post after I arrived at Las Cruces and it was too early for the one in El Paso... I so wanted to get to Marfa but that would simply just added more time to the day...

When I get done visiting my parents hopefully I can meander my way back to SoCal...

:beer
  3. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way...

Oddometer:
    July. . . not August. Let's blame it on the heat stroke! :lol2

I came from Tucson through to San Diego yesterday and my high temp on the bike was 107.5
    It's really hard to drink enough fluids to get/keep hydrated. Not gonna happen for most of us.

Travel across country this time of year is not for the faint of heart.
  4. black 8

Oddometer:
    Yeah see what I mean about the long days on the saddle!!
    Zubb likes this.
  5. Zubb

Oddometer:
    Last week I did about 400 miles including the dragon on day 1 in Tennessee humidity, ugh. then a 900 mile day, followed by 800 miles, then 450, and 500 or so. It wears on a guy . . .
    Wierdrider, klaviator and black 8 like this.
  6. black 8

Oddometer:
    Yup those are certainly long days on the saddle and I can relate as I travel east...
  7. Zubb

Oddometer:
    Do you play music?
    I always start the day with U2 The Joshua Tree. Then play Zac Brown, pandora country, and finally to 60’s and 70’s music
    Good for about 10-12 hours when I’m going balls out.
    Wierdrider likes this.
  8. black 8

Oddometer:
    I used to until I started wearing my neck brace... it hangs too low and rubs on the left side... I have a pair of Cardo Scala Rider Q3s so I can swap when the first one dies... I'll have to re-mount them in a different spot maybe...

well gotta hit the rack... Missippippi is calling my name tomorrow...

9. Zubb

Oddometer:
    DF4E0F02-CDB8-445B-B428-1FDB25E9A017.jpeg
    Geeze, why didn’t I think of that! Just swap out to your 2nd unit. :doh

You may want to try something I found helpful. I wear a schmog often. Hot or cold, I love it for reasons I’m going to write up on later.
    This trip I ditched the polypro cap under my helmet and wore the loose weave cotton shemagh over my head before putting the helmet on. This creates a cotton layer to sweat into and thus had better evaporative cooling as hot air flowed through the vents.
    I had a noticeably cooler helmet from this. And sweating more just refills the cotton with cooling power.
    YMMV
    bobw, black 8 and Wierdrider like this.
  10. black 8

Oddometer:
    I have one of those in tan... but I use it in the fall/winter as a neck and chest warmer... it's been washed several times so it's really soft now... I don't know if it'll fit under my helmet though...
  11. black 8

Oddometer:
    ~10/11 July 2019

Tropical Storm Barry...

I left San Antonio on Wednesday and my stop for the evening was Moss Point, MS where I scored a room for $51.00+ tax. That would put me within 9 hours of Kissimmee. Little did I know that I was fighting an incoming tropical storm coming up from the Gulf Coast named Barry... I spent most of the day riding in rain once I crossed the Louisiana border when I got on Interstate 12...
    1.jpg

more rain in Mississippi...
    2.jpg

and more rain on Florida's I-75... I mis-judged my fuel mileage when I partially filled my tank in a rural part of the panhandle... I was trying to make it to a Pilot that I knew of but I ended up running out of gas instead... I like livin' on the edge not knowing what to expect; makes me feel alive... That's my story and I'm sticking' to it... :jack
    Honda-50, MYUMPH, B10Dave and 7 others like this.
  12. MYUMPH

MYUMPH 'Ol Timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rudy-Hope you are staying safe out there with all the crazy weather coming in from the Gulf
    black 8 likes this.
  13. black 8

Oddometer:
    I'm in Kissimmee now relaxing with my parents... I didn't know it was a tropical storm that I had ridden through until I watched the news with my morning coffee today...
    Honda-50, B10Dave, klaviator and 8 others like this.
  14. Wierdrider

Wierdrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad you made it safe:clap
    klaviator and black 8 like this.
  15. Zubb

Oddometer:
    Klim keeping you dry? You did wear the wp stuff and not your induction jacket right?
  16. black 8

Oddometer:
    I just throw my Forecast goretex stuff over my mesh gear whenever I see dark clouds ahead...
    B10Dave and klaviator like this.
  17. Zubb

Oddometer:
    Cool. I do the same. Unless I’m cold. Then I put the windbreaker weight Gortex under my mesh and t adds about 10 degrees or more of warmth.
    black 8 likes this.
  18. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Enjoy your time with your parents!
    black 8 likes this.
  19. black 8

Oddometer:
    ~ 23 July 2019

Time to head home...

All is well in Florida and its back on the road to SoCal... my parents needed some help around the house with periodic maintenance that's mandated by the community HOA. I spent the past week or so just doing little odds and ends to get them back to spec and keep the HOA from sending nastygrams... While doing my pre-rides checks; I burned about 4 ounces of oil from all the 110+ deg temps I was running into in the southwest and Texas. The kicker was the rear flat tire... I was surprised to find the rear was flat after not touching the bike for a week. I found three leaks in the inner tube so how did I make it to my parents house??? :dunno Everything else checked out... I tried to repair the tube but ended up just throwing it out with all those leaks... 4.JPG

This Shinko 804/805 combo have been great in getting me to Florida. I can certainly vouch for their grip in both dry and wet conditions. What's more, their lifespan is good for a 50/50 tire...

here's the front tire at approximately 5K miles... they have been to Death Valley, Borrego Springs numerous times, in-and-around San Diego, and now to Florida. I'll keep an eye out but I suspect that they'll make it back to SoCal...
    5.jpg

here is the rear tire at 2.5K, I spooned them on right before I left Oceanside... they'll definitely make it back... The only drawback being they tend to fishtail in sand, probably mud too but I haven't been able to test that since we don't have a lot of mud in SoCal...
    6.jpg

I'm hoping to be home by this weekend...
    bobw, popscycle, klaviator and 6 others like this.
  20. Project Mayhem

Project Mayhem Moto Aficionado Supporter

Oddometer:
    Safe travels and good (green chile cheese) burgers my friend.
    bobw, black 8 and Wierdrider like this.