SoCal Coddiwompling... (The CABDR on a vintage Yamaha)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by black 8, Jul 12, 2017.

1. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the shout out on the flag Rudy. On my last drive by I noticed it was looking pretty tired, I do carry a new one in my truck that'll I'll stop and replace soon.

The XT sure looks like a runner! Congratulations on the 'fresh up' and bringing new life to the small nimble beast, "lite is might".
    MYUMPH, black 8 and klaviator like this.
  2. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    I hope you have as much fun working on the KLX as I have on the XT... I don't know why it took me so long to get a lightweight bike??? probably the limited gas capacity...
  3. black 8

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the heads up on the plastic fuel filter...

I bought two from RMATV to try out at 0.99 cents each. The first one I tried to install I ended up snapping off the outgoing nipple so lesson learned there; it's plastic and brittle.

So I ordered a smaller Wix filter and will install it in the next few days...
    IMG_1867.jpg
  4. black 8

Oddometer:
    Thanks Sam...

That seems to be the cycle of life with motorcycle... we start out riding smaller displacement bikes then trade up to bigger/faster machines only to go back to smaller lighter bikes in our golden years...

Just like diapers, we start out in diapers, get potty trained, and end up with Depends Fit for adults... :lol3
    B10Dave, klaviator and MYUMPH like this.
  5. black 8

Oddometer:

Found it... max load capacity is 353 lbs...
    Untitled.jpg
    B10Dave likes this.
  6. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's great, I guess they built the early dual sports to carry 2 people. Now they built some just for adventure & gear. Now that I think about it, I see pictures all the time of cities in Asia & SA with sometimes 3 on a small bike!
  7. Milano.B

Milano.B Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That Wix filter looks similar to one you said you hated it (bulky).
    Actually the plastic filter is not bad but must keep an eye on it (been exploring DV with it on the XT225).
    The install trick is to not allow fuel hose put pressure on it (relaxed fit).
    Now I just acquire an XT250 FI going through heavy mods for the White Rim Trail Expedition.
  8. black 8

Oddometer:
    I like the design of the filter that came with the bike, I just didn't like the size... The Wix filter I ordered is much shorter so I'll have to see how it'll fit... Luckily I ordered extra fuel lines just in case...
  9. black 8

Oddometer:
    ~ 22 Oct 2019

Two birds with one stone...

I've been neglecting the other bikes since I've gotten the XT and started prepping her for the CABDR... I decided to give my other mistresses some attention today and get their juices flowing while I scout for camping spots along the coastline...

the brake fluid on the Enduro is contaminated and has turned purple... :nah 7.jpg

the chain hasn't been adjusted since I last took her out... :fpalm the center of the chain rivets are supposed to be inline with the two scribe marks... easy peasy and I knocked that out quick...
    8.jpg

I've been going through camping withdrawals lately and hadn't camped out since my burger challenge at Middlegate Station. Now that the weather is starting to cool off, I thought it would be nice to camp along the coastline and grill some steaks while watching the sun set over the horizon... IPAs would be consumed of course... :drink

South Carlsbad State Beach... nice but is located off the Coast Hwy and you can hear the cars pass by... that picnic table sure does look inviting for some morning coffee as the sun rises... did I mention this campsite is free with my California State Parks Pass...
    2.jpg

the site I was scouting has the staircase that leads down to the beach for a nice morning stroll...
    3.jpg
  10. black 8

Oddometer:
    The next place I scouted was San Clemente State Beach... I liked this location better. It's set off far enough away from the highway that you can't hear passing cars. The campsite aren't as cramped and you have some elbow room without hearing your next door neighbor...

also free...
    4.jpg

this place was so quite that all I could hear was the waves hitting the shore... that would be a nice lullaby to fall asleep to...
    6.jpg

that's Dana Point off in the distance...
    5.jpg

this one is more inland and is called Lake O'Neill... the only bad thing about this campsite - it costs $20.00 per night...
    1.jpg
  11. black 8

Oddometer:
    After running the Enduro up and down along the coast, I headed back home to grab another bike to exercise...

San Mateo State Campground located on the other side of the I-5... also nice... the trees separate each campsite and has plenty of shade... the only thing I didn't like about this place was the flys... they were on me like bees on honey...
    9.jpg

no ocean view but they did have coin operated showers...
    IMG_1871.jpg

I managed to get some good intel from Ranger Rick about two more campgrounds along the coast... Doheny State Beach and Crystal Cove State Beach... I'll have to scout those two some other time but for now it was time to head back before rush hour traffic hits on the I-5... Once I got home, I took a couple more bikes out but closer to home... I ended up "ridin' the barn" today to get all the bikes out for some playtime...

Ridin' the other bikes made me realize that I haven't been out in quite some time... long distance that is... I miss being out on the road and getting back to basics camping and sitting around a campfire. I miss that...

On a different note, my Mom called today and she needs another favor from me... She's going on a pilgrimage with her church to Europe in August of 2020 and needs me to look after my Dad. Of course I said yes. My Dad had a stroke back in 2002 and his mind isn't as sharp as it used to be... he was a chemical engineer by trade before he retired... Looks like I'll be in Florida from mid-August to the first week of September... At least my Mom gave me plenty of time to plan so I can maybe look at running the MABDR then drop down to Long Island, NY to see the old neighborhood or ride up along the east coast up to Maine in early autumn... we'll just have to see, 10 months is still a long ways away...

:beer
  12. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way...

Oddometer:
    San Mateo is a great campground. 3 years ago my surf posse was camped there for 4 days of surfing. We would ride our skateboards down the half mile long road in the campground and then grab onto rope behind my buddies little Honda 70. That little bike would pull 5 of us back up the long hill and we would repeat. Every SUV and mini van going by seemed to be full of kids pointing wide eyed, with a Dad grinning and giving us thumbs up, while the mom, usually driving would always be scowling and wagging a finger. Those were the days, oh to be in my mid fifties again.
    MYUMPH and klaviator like this.
  13. black 8

Oddometer:
    Things have changed Kelly... the surfers that I saw were using electric bikes with surf board mounts to go down to the beach... I must have seen half a dozen...
    Zubb, klaviator and Oldschoolrocker like this.
  14. black 8

Oddometer:
    ~ 24 Oct 2019

Fork rebuild...

I've been dreading doing the forks... I'm just a shade tree mechanic and most of the of the maintenance I've been doing on the XT I've had to research on youtube and follow the service manual. But there was no way of getting around rebuilding the forks and it had to get done. Today was the day to man up since the end of the month was approaching and my desire to ride the CABDR outweighs my lack of experience rebuilding forks. Removing the tire and forks I consider routine however, everything after that is uncharted territory...

38 years of just sitting in the garage... rust all over the fork caps... scrub a dub dub...
    2.jpg

more rust to clean...
    3.jpg

Once I removed the the spring spacer and spring, the next step was to remove the retaining bolt that holds the damper rod. I managed to break the torque on the bolt but after that it just turned and turned without getting loose, the damper rod was turning with the bolt... F@@cckk... so I went on youtube and googled "damper rod turning with bolt", come to find out I need a special tool and an impact gun to remove the bolt. A quick call to my local cycle shop and they said come on down...

the original fork oil from 1981... nasty dark brown...
    1.jpg

luckily Oceanside Cycle Supply was only a few minutes from the house...
    4.jpg
    bobw, The Virginian, B10Dave and 3 others like this.
  15. black 8

Oddometer:
    your typical Mom and Pop cycle shop unlike the bigger dealers...
    5.jpg

this vintage Yamaha XT500 was sitting outside the garage... my kind of cycle shop...
    6.jpg

Caleb working on getting the retaining bolt out...
    7.jpg

Caleb first tried using a broom handle to wedge the damper rod but was "no bueno"...so he used a metal tool they had and one hit with the impact gun and the bolt was loose...
    8.jpg
    bobw, B10Dave, Project Mayhem and 2 others like this.
  16. black 8

Oddometer:
    Caleb probably worked on the forks no more than 10 minutes and I was charged .3 hours (probably the minimum) which turned out to be $28.50... I should have trained as a motorcycle mechanic... As a consolation, Caleb said come back after you replace the fork seals and I'll torque the retaining bolt no charge...

here's the tool Caleb used...
    9.jpg

On the way back home I picked up a couple of In and Out combo meals to surprise Mrs. B8 for lunch... "happy wife" campaign... After lunch, I replaced the fork seals, cleaned the inside of the forks, and damper rod. I tried tightening the retaining bolt myself to save a trip downtown and NOPE... it was back to see Caleb... After I got home the second time, I spent the rest of the afternoon cleaning the rust off the triple tree, fork caps and the forks themselves. I wish I had the spanner wrench to remove the steering stem nut so I can take apart the triple tree and lube the bearings but still coming in the mail...

I used 15W fork oil to firm up the front forks ahead any off road forays... after assembling the forks, it was nothing more that putting everything together and torquing all the bolts to spec...
    10.jpg

I compressed the front forks and they were noticeably firmer with the new and heavier weight oil... The XT is packed for the trip in the above photo and I'll be doing another test run fully loaded to see if I come near that 65 mpg I was getting the other day. This time I'll be headed out to Ramona and Mesa Grande to play in the forest roads and hills...

:beer
    bobw, The Virginian, B10Dave and 6 others like this.
  17. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way...

Oddometer:
    NICE!
    Looking forward to your trip! I assume you'll photo-log the route and your camp kit in use.

Funny how when you were loading up for your KLR/Alaska trip I was encouraging you to take less and less gear. And this year, I find myself adding more and more gear to my camp kit. I think I just hit a wall yesterday after buying a cot. :snore:dunnoWhat is happening to me?! Perhaps I need the therapy that only a small bike can bring . . .
  18. black 8

Oddometer:
    Next thing ya' know you'll be buying a Kermit chair... :lol3

Yes I'll be doing a ride report but after the fact. I'm going ultra light so no room for a laptop or DSLR. I'll have a P/S camera and my iPhone.

Basically for gear:

edits

~ Right 6L Bag holds my 30℉ deg Sleeping bag... temps are expected to be in the mid-30s at night...

~ Top 6L Bag has my rain pants, sleeping pad, 2000mah power bank, baby wipes, Luci inflatable solar lantern... strapped outside are the tent rainfly, camping cup, ground sheet, and water mocs...

~ Left 6L Bag has two pairs of socks, two merino wool boxers, one cool shirt, hygiene kit, inflatable pillow, sleeping bag liner for added warmth, a skull cap, and camp axe strapped on the outside...

~ Ogio Vest has my instant coffee, folding utensils, H2O bladder, firebox Nano, first aid kit, tourniquet, Spot X, Leatherman, flashlight, P/S camera, table top tripod, baseball cap, Motion Pro bead breaker/tire irons, Kelty Salida one man tent (yes it's that compact and can fit in my Ogio vest), a manual tire pump (the XT is old school 6V), camp stool, Tirox snapjack...

~ Front fender bag has a set of tubes doused with baby powder in a food saver bag, J-B Weld Steelstick, bead buddy, and a spare spark plug...

~ Under the seat is an emergency clutch, brake, throttle cable kit...

~ On top of the gas tank are two 1 Ltr MSR bottles, flat repair kit, OEM tools, spare fuel line, and chain lube...
  19. black 8

Oddometer:
    ~ 28 Oct 2019

Two days before go time...

I've been going over my route doing map studies for camping options, fuel availability, and more importantly the fires currently burning in California. The Santa Ana winds have been wreacking havoc in Central/Southern California lately and one is burning on the CABDR trail. Hopefully it doesn't affect the route by Big Pine much.
    1.jpg

There is an expert only option that goes through Mazourka Canyon but this being my first time riding any BDR solo and on an untested vintage bike, I'll be sticking to the normal route to minimize some of the risks until I get some experience riding the BDRS...
    2.jpg
  20. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Those forest fires look to be a menace on your trip. Be safe!
    MYUMPH and black 8 like this.