SoCal Coddiwompling... (the XT gets ready for the CABDR)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by black 8, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way...

Oddometer:
    I'm a little embarrassed to say I've 'invested' numerous half and full days to educating myself on the use of basecamp and garmin. All for nought. The only thing I get from the Zumo is a nice track of where I just went, or it great as a general - go to this town, or address tool. But only half as easy and useful as my iPhone.

I want to draw a route connecting a bunch of forest service roads and truck trails, then go ride them. Simple request, impossible to execute (for me). I'm highly proficient at numerous software programs for life and for work, but basecamp . . . . I get angry just thinking about it.
    bobw and kickstandsup like this.
  2. kickstandsup

kickstandsup Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm only doing road, but like to create tertiary road routes for multiple day trips. Basecamp was pure frustration; TomTom's MyDrive is as simple to use as google maps. Really like it, what put me over the top with Garmin was their charge of $99 for a Europe map, despite lifetime maps on my Nav 5. And that was for "one time", same charge every time you update. Their lifetime maps are only in the market where the unit was purchased. TomTom's lifetime maps are worldwide, and the unit came pre loaded with all the European passes...perfect for my planned annual trips.
    black 8 likes this.
  3. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    @Zubb, With just a modicum of (trial and error) work learning to use Basecamp, what you want to do becomes 'falling down, dead, drunk, easy'. These are a brief outline of the steps.
    1. Plug in your Garmin to the computer, which may first bring up Garmin Express if you've downloaded it. If not, download it first as this is the program through which you get maps and updates.
    2. Close Express and Basecamp should come up, provided you've downloaded it.
    3. Using Basecamp, go to File and create New List, giving it a name like "My Fun Trip" or whatever. A 'List' will contain your route's waypoints and route information. All lists will be in a folder you create under "My Collection". I have folders named "VT Trips, NH Trips, Railroad, Covered Bridges, Mills", etc. You should see your device listed at the bottom of or in the Library window.
    4. Start putting in waypoints (red flag icon) on the roads you want to traverse. Also, add a waypoint from your home or starting point.
    5. Use the New Route icon, clicking on the waypoints in the order you want to traverse then. When done, there will be a route icon at the bottom of the list of waypoints you created.
    6. Assuming Basecamp has recognized you device, Export your 'My Fun Trip' to your unit.
    If possible, get somebody to walk you through it once or twice. Once done, what you want to do is very easy. Also, there are videos showing you how to do this; however, they may address a lot of features you don't need. The problem most people have with Basecamp is overcoming the inertia of not want to spend the time learning. With a bit of help and a few practice runs, the learning curve is very short.

John
    bobw, Bigbob1 and black 8 like this.
  4. kickstandsup

kickstandsup Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The only way I will use basecamp again is to start "falling down dead drunk." That way, I'll care less about it not working... :photog:photog:photog
    Davethestick likes this.
  5. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    I don’t understand why everyone is having problems with BaseCamp :dunno

I just spent a few minutes this morning creating a route for a ride next week; De Luz Road in Fallbrook and up Ortega to the Lookout Roadhouse... Even gave me an option to turn it into a track, what type vehicle (motorcycle selected) and even off-road option... Once I was finished I connected the Montana and uploaded the route and there it was under routes ready for next week... :ricky

Ohhh and thanks for the shortcut John... I’ve been using the routing tool but I didn’t know I could connect waypoints together... I’m trying that now...

Untitled.jpg

IMG_1637.jpg

IMG_1639.jpg
    bobw, popscycle and Bigbob1 like this.
  6. popscycle

Oddometer:
    The problem most have is probably not taking the time or having the mental energy to learn it. As for the waypoints, if you don't put them into your route, your Garmin unit may decide there's a better way. I use waypoints on every segment of road I plan to take lest the stupid program think it knows best and follows a different route.
    black 8 likes this.
  7. Zubb

Oddometer:
    Well, I thought the same thing about 2 years ago. How hard could it be, right? I took a whole 'sick day' and did nothing but immerse into every help screen and you tube vid on the net. I then spent hours at a time for the next several weeks trying to get something barely functional. No go.
    I may have the energy to try walking through the simple steps above tonight or tomorrow, but frankly I've given up until someone can sit down with me and say "click here" and though it doesn't sound like it, I am fairly proficient with most things computer.
  8. popscycle

Oddometer:
    I will try to outline the steps better in the next day or two, hoping it will help.
  9. black 8

Oddometer:
    Kelly, what map(s) are installed on your BaseCamp?? I have Global Base and City Navigator NT 2020. I can also view my topo maps on BaseCamp when I have the Montana connected...

Let me know when you have some time and we can have some coffee somewhere in between... right now I am building a whole bunch of waypoints for AZ and UT this fall...
  10. black 8

Oddometer:
    D@mn that was too easy John... I highlighted the waypoints from my list in the order that I wanted to travel, right clicked, and created a route... it is quirky and will route you in different directions unless you select the correct mode of travel i.e. Driving, Motorcycle, Dirtbiking, Off-Roading...etc
    Screen Shot 2019-06-16 at 4.37.43 PM.jpg
    popscycle likes this.
  11. Zubb

Oddometer:
    I’ll set a little time aside in the morning to try the steps above and report back. Thanks guys.
  12. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mirrorless camera gets an A+ Rudy. Pics turned out great.
    Oldschoolrocker and black 8 like this.
  13. black 8

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dave... I'm making as much memories as I can... while I can...
    B10Dave, MYUMPH and dano619 like this.
  14. black 8

Oddometer:
    ALASKA 2020... The Great White North is calling to me again with all these Alaska Ride Reports... plus I'm not getting any younger...
    Scotty707, B10Dave, rickj and 5 others like this.
  15. wrussell61

wrussell61 Card Carrying Cult Member

Oddometer:
    One additional tip for basecamp routing that I have found helpful... Unless you actually WANT to stop at a waypoint you are using to force a route, right click on it and make it a "shaping point" (at least that is what I think it is called). That way you won't get an alert when you are passing by. And as a bonus, if you happen to drop it on the wrong side of a divided highway, it shouldn't try and route you back to it. If it does, just ignore the GPS for a few minutes until you are actually on your desired route and it will pick up routing to the next shaping point.

There are a few articles on the web about their uses and limitations (depending on your device and the platform you are using basecamp on).

Don't want to sidetrack this RR completely into a GPS thread so carry on with the coddwomples.
    B10Dave and black 8 like this.
  16. black 8

Oddometer:
    No worries, every tid bit helps when it comes to BaseCamp... :thumb
    B10Dave likes this.
  17. rickj

rickj Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Rudy,

Sounds like a great trip next year. I too have been peering over all the Alaska threads and wishing I could head back. Unfortunately, in order to get "permission" from Marilyn for last summer's 3-week ride to Alaska I had to promise that this would be my last "long" time away from home. It's hard for her when I'm gone as she has to take some time off work and also come home during lunch to let the dog out. However, she's be retiring at the end of 2020 so maybe I can get out of my promise to her and get up there again in 2021! I "think " my promise only applied while she was still working and not during retirement though...

We're heading up there next summer on a cruise through the inner passage with other family members. That should be fun, but I know I'll miss riding. We're also in the process of buying our retirement travel trailer and plan on an extended trip up there and back, but that will probably be in 2021.

Cheers,
    Rick
    bobw and black 8 like this.
  18. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You can do an Alaska cruise AND do some riding in Alaska. I did an inner passage cruise with my wife a few years ago and had a great (but short) ride in Skagway. So if you will be stopping in Skagway and want a short 2 wheel fix: https://advrider.com/f/threads/you-only-live-twice.1042598/page-42#post-33085477
    Scotty707, black 8 and rickj like this.
  19. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well you are making some sweet ones thats for sure! I know what you mean about these Alaska threads...cant help but think about it. You’ll be riding alot longer Rudy I can tell! Cheers!
  20. black 8

Oddometer:
    Hey Rick, I plan to slow it down quite a bit and really enjoy the ride... The last time, I spent too much time on the saddle with nine hour days... This time I'm taking it slower and taking double the photos for memory's sake...

Glad to hear your plans are coming together with the travel trailer... did you decide on which truck to pull the trailer yet?? Very nice with the cruise on the inner passage, that'll be something different from the ALCAN and Glenn Hwy...

Like you, I'm taking the family on a cruise at the end of the year to the Virgin Islands, St Thomas, and Bahamas... part of the "happy wife, happy life campaign..." that way I'm not the only one that gets to travel... it's what we used to call "shaping the battlespace" ahead of my 2021 trip to the Cabot Trail...

best regards to you and Marilyn...
    :beer
    dano619 and Zubb like this.