SoCal Coddiwompling... (the XT gets ready for the CABDR)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by black 8, Jul 12, 2017.

1. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the thoughts everyone... I really appreciate the outreach from the community...

I posted Mrs. B8's Mom passing more as a reminder for my future self... You can't take anything for granted in life because "life is a cruel teacher..." We all thought Mom was on the road to recovery and "life" smacks you in the face with a big ole' dose of reality...

One of the main reason's I belong to this community is to document my travels and adventures along the way. I am reminded of the movie The Secret Life of Walter Mitty and my take away was to live your dreams, don't just dream about them... Years from now when I'm recalling this thread and I see a long pause in my adventures, I can look back to see that I was taking break to be with family.

Love, kiss ,and hug the ones you love. Don't take them for granted because you never know what life has in store for you...

Ohhhh... and Mrs. B8 says never go to bed angry with each other, life is too short...

:beer

2. dano619

dano619 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ^^^ Words well spoken. Life is short, make it sweet!!
    black 8 and klaviator like this.
  3. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way...

Oddometer:
    I so agree with you Rudy about posting here to document the memories.
    Some people judge posters to be braggers. But for me it’s more journaling than anything. It’s great to share pics and thoughts and also to receive appreciation back.

On another note, dust off your passport brother. I’m going to do a few Baja rides this winter and hope you’ll join me.
    black 8, klaviator and dano619 like this.
  4. bobw

bobw Harden the phuck up

Oddometer:
    Amen! Big +1

No civil words for cancer, condolences from me and Deb and may Mom2 Rest in Peace.
    black 8 likes this.
  5. black 8

Oddometer:
    John Steinbeck said it best: “Many a trip continues long after movement in time and space have ceased. I remember a man in Salinas who in his middle years traveled to Honolulu and back, and that journey continued for the rest of his life. We could watch him in his rocking chair on his front porch, his eyes squinted, half-closed, endlessly traveling to Honolulu.”

Except in our my case, we get to relive each one of our travels again and again through our ride reports when our memories starts to fade...
  6. Zubb

Oddometer:
    F'n NAILED IT!
    klaviator likes this.
  7. BmoreBandit

BmoreBandit nomo B

Oddometer:
    Hello, just wanted to take a min to thank black8 (Rudy?) and other forum members for posting these great photos! I've lurked for a while, and currently I am looking at potential (I don't know why I use 'potential', it's on the table) work relocation to OC.
    Honestly, I am little bummed about it and seeing these great pics of various landscape helps. I mean, I know it's nice but I keep thinking more of ridiculous cost of living, ridiculous traffic, from my understanding absence of technical single track within 2 hours of anywhere that is not straight 'boonies', crowds, etc, etc.

So, it is nice to see the other side in pics on this thread. We have started to look at potential places to live. My gf works remote and I would have to get to 6 sites regularly but without set schedule (it's electrical equipment so it does not get upset if an hour goes by) or commute. I am not very familiar with the area but did spend some time in Oceanside and thought it was pretty nice and laid back (I know some think of it as 'ghetto', but I am from the east coast and our definition of what constitutes 'ghetto' is waaay different). However, Oside could be really pushing it considering my most northern site would be in Long Beach and most southern in Mission Viejo.
    We'd also like to live in a normal neighborhood and a normal town and not necessarily a huge gated community. Might be too much culture shock. Office is in HB.

Anyway, keep up the good work and looking forward to seeing some of it in person!
  8. black 8

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the kind words...

I was an east coast transplant from way back in 1994... I was apprehensive at first about the new environment (that is Southern California) and the prospects of a new job. I can remember watching the whole O.J. Simpson and white Bronco chase unfold live on tv while thinking “what did I get myself into?”

My job had me bouncing in and out of SoCal over the years and after I called it quits in 2015 (30 year career); I counted 19 moves... I have gotten to experience other US states and even other countries during that time and I am glad to call Southern California home for now or until I decide to grow up and settle down... I am following in the footsteps of @klaviator and documenting my adventures in SoCal just in case California becomes too progressive for my retired lifestyle (i.e. high taxes)...

:beer

sealsam, B10Dave, dano619 and 5 others like this.
  9. Zubb

Oddometer:
    I concur. Very different cultures, east vs west vs California. You get used to the traffic and how it moves, and how you can lane split to keep moving. The riding is epic. Even better, it is within a day or two's ride of Utah, AZ, CO, the Lost Coast . . . it is moto-nirvana. CA is huge, and it has ..... everything you could ever want to do and the weather to do it in. Taxes are high, roads are fast clean and good. Weather is epic. You should try it on and see if it fits, especially since you the job to get you here. You can always say been there, done that at a later time if you need to.
  10. black 8

Oddometer:
    Yup... that's one of the reason's I chose to retire in SoCal... I call it the sunshine tax... "pay to play" on the West Coast...
    SunshineTom, sealsam, MYUMPH and 2 others like this.
  11. BmoreBandit

BmoreBandit nomo B

Oddometer:
    Thanks, guys. Fair enough, sunshine tax it is. I do rationalize the whole thing for myself acknowledging that if the same work was being offered in Iowa, it would still be the best career move at the moment.
    Boy, I have not rented in awhile, and completing these forms is on par with gov background checks, to rent a few more square feet someone eeked into additional rental in that part of the world, it seems like norm is to go over asking price and disclose entire financial life including any gains made in 2009 period, then buy all appliances for the house and extra insurance and extra deposit for my old dog. Kinda wish it was Iowa!:)

This week we will have final talks at work. Looking forward to make some resolutions and ready for some more great photos on this thread!
    sealsam and black 8 like this.
  12. black 8

Oddometer:
    ~ 21 Sept 2019

I finally scratched that itch for a smaller/lighter bike and got a Monkey. I was out test riding some bikes yesterday like the RE Himalayan, a used BMW G310GS, and even looked at some scooters but in the end the Monkey won out... I wanted something that I could just hop on and take a leisurely ride along the coast without having to wrestle a 525+lb behemoth...

The ride home was interesting and I had to get creative about the route since I couldn't just hop on the I-5. My max speed was no more that 46 miles an hour while in the break-in period (first 300 miles). Sure I was holding traffic back in some areas specially going up some hills; I started hitting the rear of the Monkey's seat with my left hand as my speed dropped down to 29mph in a 50mph zone... "hee-yahh mule" I said as I lumbered up the hill... all the while with $hit eatin' grin from my soup coolers...

A new variable has just been introduced into the equation; we'll have to see where it leads...
    IMG_1718.jpg

B10Dave, Project Mayhem, bobw and 9 others like this.
  13. Ol Man

Ol Man Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Addict :D
    bobw and black 8 like this.
  14. black 8

Oddometer:
    You were spot on about Poway Powesports... no muss, no fuss.. I spoke with Dave and he literally laid everything out there and how they don’t play that ADM, set-up free crapola...
    bobw, sealsam and klaviator like this.
  15. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congrats!! and welcome to the world of tiny underpowered bikes!
    black 8 likes this.
  16. black 8

Oddometer:
    A small bike has been calling my name for a while now and finally made the leap yesterday... although it was slow going, I had a serious :D going on for the ride home. I thought splitting lanes was fairly easy on a motorcycle, "holy chit" I just cruised on by to the head of the traffic lights during rush hour at the downtown(s) of each of the beach cities... :ricky

As soon as I get those break-in miles completed AND when I receive the skid plate I just ordered from eBay, the Monkey and I will be hitting the trails in Ramona to see how it does... easy pace so I don't "whack" low hanging parts with it's class leading 6.3" ground clearance :lol3...

same trails as I took the KLR and the Enduro...
    IMG_0623.jpg

IMG_0624 (1).jpg

IMG_0647.jpg
  17. Ol Man

Ol Man Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My experience was good and glad to hear yours was also.

Cool bike by the way.
    black 8 likes this.
  18. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Way to go Rudy, congratulations!!

...and the right color.

Like klav said, welcome to the small bike world, you're gunna have a blast.
    klaviator and black 8 like this.
  19. black 8

Oddometer:
    Good morning Sam, thanks...

That's why I said "youse guys" are a bad influence... I can't wait until the break-in miles are completed so I can see how the Monkey performs. I can't do WOT starts (yet) to get ahead at traffic lights or haven't done a top speed test, but all the reviews have the Monkey topping out between 55 and 60 mph in stock form... I'm sure I'll have fun with it, I've wanted to practice some basic off-road skills like a "spin turn" while stationary and a "slide-pivot turn" while on the move. At 232lbs and banana level power, it should be fairly easy and I can later apply that skill to the bigger bikes...

I'm already putting my gear together to see what will fit when I take a the Monkey out for a few days of moto camping...
  20. black 8

Oddometer:
    ~ 22 Sept 2019

Break-in miles for the Monkey...

I was eager to get some more break-in miles for the Monkey today and I was on the road by 8am this morning. The ride home from the dealer on Friday was just a tease because of the rush hour traffic I had to navigate. On top of that, I decided to take the family out for breakfast and some shopping on Saturday in keeping with my "happy wife, happy life" campaign since I was gone practically all day Friday. Anyway, I've been meaning to ride De Luz Rd for a while now as it came highly recommended by a couple of inmates; I wanted to see what all the hubbub was about. The Monkey and I headed out of Oceanside and north to Fallbrook in the cool morning air, I have ridden through that area several times as a shortcut to the I-15. This was my first time continuing north through Fallbrook on De Luz Rd.

1.jpg

I didn't take a gps so I could have less distractions and just enjoy the ride; I explored my way around relying on street signs through De Luz Rd... If you haven't been through Fallbrook, it has several rolling hills that's populated by avocado and citrus orchards... Riding a 125cc Monkey through that area with it's whopping 9 hp and 8.1 ft/lb torque was a whole new riding experience for me! It took a while for me to get into a groove and maintain my forward momentum on the small hills. I was working the gearshift like hell to maintain my pace up and down the hills ... there was nothing I could do on the steeper hill climbs as my speed dropped down to about 20+ mph in 2nd gear just to keep moving, I didn't want to blow up the little 125cc motor... 2.jpg

I can see what all the hubbub was all about with roads like this throughout De Luz... It was one of those perfect early morning rides; about the only other traffic I ran into were other riders enjoying the same curves but only in the other direction... other than that I had the road all to myself...
    3.jpg

that's a big @ss rock up there...
    4.jpg
    B10Dave, bobw, popscycle and 5 others like this.