SoCal Coddiwompling... (the XT gets ready for the CABDR)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by black 8, Jul 12, 2017.

1. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    The view from Rancho California Rd looking down at Murrieta..
    5.jpg

I came off the hill and dropped down into Temecula, I had to figure out a way to get back to Oceanside without taking that steep hill climb on I-15... I made my way through Old Town and it was filled with tourists and locals. All the outdoor eateries were packed. The Monkey felt at home navigating the busy streets... I snapped a couple of photos while going through Old Town and no-one batted an eye when I pushed the Monkey onto the sidewalk to take these photos...
    7.jpg

6.jpg

After Old Town, I took Rainbow Valley Blvd and Old US-395 that ran parallel to the Interstate. I made my way back to CA-76 headed west to Oceanside; to my surprise, the little Monkey had a top speed of 57 mph this morning without going WOT... The manual stated no WOT starts and rapid acceleration for the first 300 miles so I'm still taking it easy for now, but none-the-less I was surprised at reaching 57 mph on fairly flat portions of the highway...

This is the historic San Luis Rey Bridge that was built in 1925... only pedestrian use it now...
    8.jpg
    B10Dave, bobw, popscycle and 7 others like this.
  2. black 8

Oddometer:
    When I got back to Oceanside I didn't want to end the ride yet so I continued south along the Coast Highway to work the transmission some more. I figured the stop and go traffic along the beach cities would be great for more break-in miles...

You can't beat a Sunday ride along the Coast Highway...

9.jpg

10.jpg

The Easter Island Tiki Heads at Swami's Beach... These were Torrey Pines that fell victim to the bark beetle. The work crews left an 11 foot stump on the chance that an artist would transform them into a work of art...these are the results...
    12.jpg

11.jpg

Overall it was great to get back on the saddle after several weeks of PMS... getting those break-in miles on the Monkey was an eye opener and a great intro to mini bikes. I'll be getting it ready for future moto camping and off-road forays...

:beer
    Scotty707, B10Dave, bobw and 8 others like this.
  3. Norty01

Norty01 RIDERCOACH (RETIRED!)

Oddometer:
    I've frequented those locales many times. Great riding to be sure. (Next time you do DeLuz, head on up to Tenaja…)
    sealsam and black 8 like this.
  4. black 8

Oddometer:
    I need to ride down from Ortega on S Main Divide and maybe even Los Alamos Truck Trail over to the Wildomar OHV as well...

but I had fun running De Luz on a little 125cc... there is something to that "it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow" adage...
    B10Dave, MYUMPH and klaviator like this.
  5. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You just discovered two of the great things about a tiny bike.

1. Exploring local roads you never thought to ride on your big bikes.
    2. So easy to get it into position for pics.

Carrying enough stuff for moto camping may be a challenge. I'm looking forward to seeing how you do it.
  6. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way...

Oddometer:
    Let's start building a list...

Ohlins
    TT Zega boxes
    Clearwater lights
    Nav VI
    Cruise control
    Puig wind screen
    AltRider skid plate, upper and lower crash bars
    Corbin seat

Oh wait . . . . it's not a BMW! Toss the list and just turn the key.

So did you qualify yesterday for a Saddle Sore 100 ?

---- ok, ok I'll stop joking around. Your new bike is hilariously cool and I can't wait to see what you end up doing on it. Congrats.
    B10Dave, bobw, sealsam and 2 others like this.
  7. black 8

Oddometer:
    I have to be judicious about what/what not to take and where to stow the gear... I ended up selecting a non-ABS bike because that gives me extra storage under the seat where the ABS module would have been...

It also helps that I have compact camping gear already... I'll post up once I get the rear rack and tank bag installed...
  8. black 8

Oddometer:
    Ha! You know me Kelly...

I guess I'm a bit of a masochist and a glutton for punishment in wanting to take the little Monkey off-road and moto camping...

After 30 years of being the responsible/sane one all the time, it's nice to step out of that mold and just be a hooligan... That little Monkey puts a smile on my face every time I hop on... You should see the faces I get when I pull up to the gate and present my ID Card... :confused

I can't wait to see where the Monkey will take me... :ricky
    B10Dave, bobw, Project Mayhem and 4 others like this.
  9. Zubb

Oddometer:
    ^^^^^ that's what it's all about brother.
  10. Norty01

Norty01 RIDERCOACH (RETIRED!)

Oddometer:
    Check to make sure the gates are open, as I found many gates closed/locked back in June...
    BmoreBandit, sealsam and black 8 like this.
  11. black 8

Oddometer:
    ~ 25 Sept 2019

~ Monkey Adventure Load-Out...

I've spent the last couple of days working on my load-out for the Monkey... I've packed/re-packed this gear several times to see what configuration would work the best. With the current configuration, I could have adventures on the Monkey in late spring through early fall as my Big Agnes Kings Canyon quilt is only rated to about 45℉; that's why I brought along a set of base layers to sleep in when temps dip to the 40s... In the summer time I can substitute the base layers for another shirt, boxers, and socks so I can stay out even longer... As for food and water, I would resupply on the go before I get to the campsite... i.e. steaks to cook on the Firebox Nano and a couple of IPAs to relax for the evening...

Now for fuel, the Monkey's fuel range is estimated to be 185 miles from it's 1.48 gallon tank... but I wouldn't expect more than 150 miles carrying this load-out and the hills I would have to traverse. I’ll have a 1 liter fuel bottle for those long stretches in between gas stops... I wouldn't attempt anything more than 250 to 300 miles given the Monkey's speed and the route that I'll have to take. So far I've gotten it up to 57 mph without going WOT... I'm happy at 55 mph on the backroads anyway... better gas mileage and less chance of blowing up the engine...

Upgrades for the Monkey: I ordered some Kenda Big Block tires, skid plate, heavier YSS adjustable rear shocks to accommodate rider and gear, and a rear cargo rack; all from Thailand... Future upgrades will be Ohlins spring and oil for the front forks since they are too soft for any off road excursions...

Here's what I have so far...

~ Ogio Flight Vest...
    ~ Givi 3 liter tank bag...
    ~ Wolfman Medium Rolie w/ 1 liter MSR fuel bottle carried on the rear rack (still waiting delivery from Thailand)...
    ~ Tools and flat repair kit resides on the bike under the seat...

what the gear looks like...
    IMG_1788.jpg

Ogio Flight Vest

~ Upper right pouch: Set of folding utensils, sunscreen, and a Bic Lighter
    ~ Middle left pouch: Firebox Nano
    ~ Lower left pouch: (forgot to lay it out) Complete first aid kit, Leatherman, flashlight, and reading glasses

~ Upper right pouch: Tactical Tourniquet
    ~ Lower left pouch: Baseball cap, Klymit sleeping pad, pillow, and Sony camera

~ Back right pouch: One set Klim cool shirt, Teton Merino wool boxers, socks
    ~ Center pouch: Hygiene kit, laundry soup, towel, wash cloth, and MSR 2 liter water bladder
    ~ Back left pouch: One set of base layers, top and bottom

Givi Tanks Bag

~ iPad Mini w/ cable and charger
    ~ Big Agnes Kings Canyon UL Quilt

Wolfman Medium Rolie w/ 1 liter MSR fuel bottle

~ Kelty Salida one man dome tent w/ rainfly
    ~ Tent stakes and poles
    ~ Ground Tarp

gear layout...

IMG_1790.jpg

@klaviator here's what the gear looks like...

in the next couple of days I'll be taking the Monkey out to Mesa Grande and FR 12S07 in Ramona for some off-road fun...

cheer for now... :beer
    B10Dave, bobw, Project Mayhem and 6 others like this.
  12. MYUMPH

MYUMPH 'Ol Timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's a good looking layout Rudy! That vest is a great idea for packing small items. Small bikes rock!!!
    black 8 and rodrigzj like this.
  13. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rudy, I wish I was just half as well organized as you are. My last camping trip involved filling up the whole back seat of my truck.
    black 8 and Oldschoolrocker like this.
  14. black 8

Oddometer:
    I already owned the majority of the camping gear and it was just a matter of whittling gear down to the bare essentials while still enjoying some comforts of home... I'm already accustomed to living on bare minimums for weeks at a time. The bigger challenge to mini-bike adventures IMHO will be route selection since I can only do limited stints on the Interstate while hopping from one state/country route the the next while trying to reach the ultimate destinations... I'm kinda' looking forward to it because it forces me to take the road less traveled...
  15. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can dig it!! Crazy as it is I cant wait to see this. That damn vest looks like a frickin’ commando of some type! All the crap you have stiluffed in there cracks me up. Good thing your not 300 lbs or I would seriously be laughing..like those to big brothers back in the day riding those 50 cc bikes..picture is etched in my brain from the Guneuss book of world records! (From my youth days) Cheers Rudy!!
    klaviator and black 8 like this.
  16. Oldschoolrocker

Oddometer:
    Hahaha!! Found it !! 1978 baby!!! :imaposer 5C547B28-C76D-4EF3-81E3-D398BAC408F0.png
    Honda-50, klaviator and black 8 like this.
  17. black 8

Oddometer:
    Wow! that speaks to the durability of Honda's back in the day...

The McGuire Twins a.k.a. McCrary bros...

Sponsored by Honda, they agreed to ride from New York to LA, presumably to show the durability of the bikes under the weight of the McCrary bros. It took them 30 days, averaging around 100 miles a day. Benny said they had a deal worked out with Holiday Inn, who provided rooms during the trip. Then, he said, “We’d ride into town and give autographs at a dealership for a couple hours.”

After fulfilling their cross-country trip obligations for Honda, wrestler Gory Guerrero offered them a gig in pro wrestling. He’d seen them in the press and thought they’d be perfect for the ring, developing stunts that had other wrestlers running at them only to dramatically bounce off. After Billy died in ’79, Benny was even paired with Andre the Giant a few times.
    bobw, dano619, sealsam and 3 others like this.
  18. Oldschoolrocker

Oddometer:
    Wow after all these years I finally hear the story of that pic. (Besides worlds largest twins) I had a paperback edition of the records and never forgot they where in there. Amazing!
  19. Zubb

Oddometer:
    Couple thoughts .... you could easily cut the deoderant and soap footprint in half by using the travel sizes. I usually keep a handful of those at home so I can start a trip with a full one. That alone could free up enough space for the camera. Thereby freeing up a little real estate for something else.
    Might be able to reduce the tarp size/weight by going to Tyvek. I recently walked the dog by a new construction site and noticed they were wrapping the house. I asked politely for a scrap, they said take all you want. I will camp with it for the first time this weekend at Petrero but expect it to be superior to a tarp in every way.

Other thoughts .... cut your blue sponge in half again.
    -take less than a full package of baby wipes.
    - of course if you camping in the south west, the rainfly, and even the tent could be left at home with the usual weather forecast. Just a bedroll. I've done this in the mountains and love sleeping open air. It's kinda like sleeping naked.... but I won't elaborate. :rofl
    - cut any wash cloths or bandana's, any cloth type items in half

Throw these scraps in a box and watch the size and weight build up. It is amazing what one can accomplish when you attack it 1 oz at a time. But you seem to have already figure that out.

Man Rudy.... this is quite the little adventure plan you have. I am stoked for you and to watch from my camping stool on the sideline. :1drink
  20. black 8

Oddometer:
    All good points Kelly, I'll have to look for travel size items since those consumables can be readily replaced at any convenience store if I ever run out...
    klaviator likes this.