SoCal Coddiwompling... (the XT gets ready for the CABDR)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by black 8, Jul 12, 2017.

1. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    black 8 likes this.
  2. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    Funny you mention that Sam, I was watching some DIY upgrades a few days ago for the 125 engine on a Grom; basically the same engine as the Monkey...

I definitely want to upgrade the clutch cover so I can have a replaceable oil filter cartridge instead of the spinner filter, the kit replaces the spinner filter and will save about 2.5 lbs of rotating mass at the crank...

steadygarage_at58_1.jpg

The Honda Monkey engine seems fairly easy to work on and I even found a DIY BBK install video by Hard Racing Performance LLC. However, those mods are much later down the road after the warranty runs out...

sealsam likes this.
  3. okiegtrider

okiegtrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm late to the party, only discovered this thread a few days ago. Have admired your photos in some of my favorite threads. This minibike adventure looks fun! Subscribed.
    black 8 likes this.
  4. black 8

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the conversation...
    klaviator and okiegtrider like this.
  5. black 8

Oddometer:
    ~ 27 Sept 2019

Chronicles of the Adventure Monkey...

The skid plate arrived from Thailand yesterday and the install was pretty easy even though the instructions were in Thai; thank goodness photos are worth a thousand words. I made sure to get it loctite'd and let it cure overnight...

The plan for today, ride to Ramona and hit the trails...
    1.jpg
    sealsam, B10Dave, MYUMPH and 2 others like this.
  6. black 8

Oddometer:
    The ride to Ramona took me down the Coast Highway into Encinitas where I cut across to Del Dios Rd , San Pasqual, and into Ramona...
    2.jpg

we're gonna' christen this skid plate with a couple of rock dings today! :ricky
    3.jpg

old abandoned bridge at the Santa Ysabel Creek... I always pass by this bridge whenever I'm out here to play but I never actually put a bike on it until now.... the Monkey is sooooo easy to ride, push, and maneuver for photos...
    DSC00871.jpg

DSC00868.jpg
    sealsam, B10Dave, popscycle and 4 others like this.
  7. black 8

Oddometer:
    finally getting out to the trails...
    5.jpg

the trail goes over "yonder" and around the other side...
    6.jpg

installed a Garmin 650T for nav capabilities off-road and some folding mirrors... (which I never folded :fpalm)
    7.jpg

8.jpg
    sealsam, B10Dave, popscycle and 5 others like this.
  8. black 8

Oddometer:
    I had to stop and admire the view... I love the tranquility of places like this and is one of the reasons I ride... soooo peaceful and quiet... 9.jpg

Ramona, CA...
    10.jpg

yup, I definitely got a couple of scrapes on the skid plate... the Adventure Monkey has been christened... :ricky
    11.jpg

the OEM forks and rear shocks show their road bias; they are tooo soft for off-road use and I could feel them bottom out several times... I slowed down and was on the pegs for some of the bigger woops on the trail... my average speed was between 11 and 13 mph when I looked down at the speedometer... in some flat portions of the trail I made about 25 mph but they were far and few between... I couldn't go any faster since I only had 12 inch tires, 6.3inches of ground clearance, and about 4 inches of travel on the suspension, but hell yeah I had fun!
    I definitely need to upgrade the forks and rear shocks...
    12.jpg
    sealsam, B10Dave, popscycle and 8 others like this.
  9. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    Would be cool to see a pic of you on the bike!!
    B10Dave, Project Mayhem and black 8 like this.
  10. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks

Oddometer:
    You picked a good area to test the bike, the views are great. I remember that trail, didn't look over the edge many times, it's a Longggg way down! And yeah, we want to see you on the bike. cheers
    B10Dave, black 8 and Oldschoolrocker like this.
  11. black 8

Oddometer:
    I’ll try to fit a tripod the next time I’m out with the Monkey... I want to explore some of the places Steve showed me in Borrego Springs... While I’m waiting for the other Monkey parts to come in, I'll be getting the other bikes out for some exercise...
  12. black 8

Oddometer:
    off-road footage of the Monkey in Ramona... this particular part of the trail was all uphill... I tried to make it to the summit of Black Mountain Truck Trail but heavy fog was rolling in making it difficult to see the trail... too bad cuz' I was nearly to the top...
    13.jpg

:beer
  13. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    :thumb

Great video & song watching the lil' Monkey being put through it's paces, bet you were grinning ear to ear.

Are you using a GoPro or similar device, I don't do video's but I sure like that still shot.

BTW, have you had a chance to run Highland Valley Rd, it's a fun little 14 mile mini rollercoaster,

[​IMG]
    black 8 and klaviator like this.
  14. black 8

Oddometer:
    I had waaaaay to much fun on the Monkey... It's more capable than I thought it would be off-road. You just have to know its limitations and work around them. I took it easy through some of the rougher sections and picked my line... I'm exploring the idea of taking the Monkey out to Titus Canyon or even doing Section 1 and 2 of the CABDR. I've been watching some of the first videos on youtube of riders doing the BDR so I can see the terrain... I won't do anything until I get the rear shocks from Thailand though...

I use a GoPro 7 to capture video during portions of my ride that I like, then when I get home I extract the frame I want using Apple's iMovie. Doing it this way lets me get action shots instead of stopping all the time...

HVR is still on my radar...
    bobw, sealsam, MYUMPH and 3 others like this.
  15. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way...

Oddometer:
    pretty fun stuff Rudy. Looks exhausting though :D But then again so is jogging.
    sealsam and black 8 like this.
  16. black 8

Oddometer:

Actually no...

I was seated most of the time. It was like off-roading on a seat made of clouds; that's how comfortable the Monkey's seat is. Also it's pretty hard to stay on the pegs and I did it sparingly given the Monkey's stature...

I found a large parking area that people use to load/unload ORVs and I was practicing power slides but I couldn't get the rear tire to swing around (yet, give me time...) when I gave it a handful of throttle. The Monkey doesn't have low end grunt I'm finding out...
    flat.jpg

B10Dave, MYUMPH, Zubb and 3 others like this.
  17. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Having sat on a Monkey bike I have to say they really put a great seat on it. I just wish other dual sport bikes came with seats half as good as the one on the monkey bike.

Given what you want to do with your tiny bike I think you made the perfect choice. As much as I like scooters the Monkey bike will work much better for you. I am looking forward to following along on your adventures.
    MYUMPH, black 8 and B10Dave like this.
  18. RonSJC

RonSJC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hell, you could do the complete CABDR-South on that little Monkey with some extra gas. I'll pick up a mid '60's Honda Trail 90 and join you! We will call it the "CABDR-South Turtle Tour" !

Ron
    okiegtrider and black 8 like this.
  19. black 8

Oddometer:
    If you ever get that Trail 90 let me know cuz' I plan to do Sections 1 and 2... in the meantime I'm still waiting on the rear shocks.... I did get the Kenda Big Blocks yesterday for the Monkey...
    RonSJC and Oldschoolrocker like this.
  20. black 8

Oddometer:
    ~ 2 Oct 2019

In search of a project bike...

I spent the day yesterday getting the other bikes out and about to get the juices flowing and check tire pressures now that the temperatures are starting to fall. I hadn't ridden them since my return from Florida and the passing of Mom #2 (as she was affectionately called herself...) I took each bike for a 45 minute loop and the Multistrada was mad at me as she was hesitant to start... Italians are are fussy even though all the bikes were hooked up to a battery tender...

As I was rotating bikes on the road, I got to thinking that I miss tinkering on a bike. I miss being able to take apart, maintaining, upgrading, or just restoring a bike. Now that the KLR is gone, I no longer have a bike that I can break down "shotgun style" to the bare bones... My bikes are all latter model years that I call "gigabikes" with all their electronics. Nice to have but a pain to work on. Even though I can perform routine maintenance, I can't delve too deep on the major stuff. That was one of the reasons I acquired the Monkey and said goodbye to the KLR. The Honda Monkey is easy to work on but at this point it's just adding farkles, not really tinkering/restoring... I managed to get a hold of a service manual for the Monkey but I have no need for it yet since it's still breaking in.

Even though I just got the Monkey, I still feel the need for a lighter more capable trail bike in the 200cc to 400cc class sans all the electronics and something that can be easily repaired out on the trail...

So the conversation I had with Mrs. B8 went something like this:

Me: "Honey, what do you think about this bike?" (showing her a photo on the internet)

Mrs B8: "Why are you looking at bikes when you just got the Monkey?"

Me: "I want a simple bike that I can work on in the garage..."

Mrs B8: "How are you going to pay for it?"

Me: "I have money left over from selling the KLR and in my motorcycle travel account..."

Mrs B8: "Where are you going to keep your car, outside?"

Me: "No, I have room the garage..."

Mrs B8: Rolls her eyes and says "What am I going to do with you? and walks away...

Me: At least she didn't say "NO..."