SoCal Coddiwompling... (the XT gets ready for the CABDR)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by black 8, Jul 12, 2017.

1. bobw

bobw Harden the phuck up

Oddometer:
    Sounds like our home, best thing is a supportive wife! :deal :beer
    black 8 likes this.
  2. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    Amen to that...
    Bigbob1 and bobw like this.
  3. Project Mayhem

Project Mayhem Moto Aficionado Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll have to respectfully disagree...the BEST thing is a wife who says 'OK, if you're getting one then what bike do I want to get?'. :lol3
    bobw and black 8 like this.
  4. black 8

Oddometer:
    You're one of the few exceptions to the rule. Mrs. Mayhem likes to ride as much as you do. I tried to get Mrs. B8 to ride but she doesn't have any interest... so I get the motorcycle perks for the both of us...
    Project Mayhem, klaviator and bobw like this.
  5. bobw

bobw Harden the phuck up

Oddometer:
    @Project Mayhem , I agree with you and black 8's reply. A few friends out of the many riders I know enjoy travels with each on their own bike like you are fortunate to experience, but SWMBO is 68 and while she rode with me as pillion years ago she is glad to support my 2 wheel addiction while she does other hobbies. Regardless, a great partner is a blessing in all things.

Cheers
    Project Mayhem, klaviator and black 8 like this.
  6. okiegtrider

okiegtrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd subscribe to that thread. :clap
    black 8 likes this.
  7. black 8

Oddometer:
    ~ 6 Oct 2019

Vintage 1981 Yamaha XT250 Enduro...

I've been scouring the internet for a cheap and simple dual sport for the past few days. I was getting discouraged at first with the selection and prices that both private sellers and dealers were asking... Heck, for the price sellers were asking, I could have waited for the end of the year and bought a new leftover bike, but I wanted something else. I even visited a few of the smaller Mom and Pop type shops instead of the big multi chain dealers in my locale... I happen to be speaking with one of the sales guys and he told me of a private seller that was selling a vintage dual sport and directed me to the seller so I can make phoncon and hopefully see the bike...

I made contact with the seller and asked for some photos and the bike turned out to be a 1981 Yamaha XT250 Enduro. The owner and I emailed back and forth to get some history behind the bike and why he was selling it. Long story short, it was bought for his wife to use in desert trips but she lost interest in riding. Subsequently the bike was mostly kept stored in the garage and being moved around from time to time and the occasional start up to see if still worked... On Saturday, I went to see and test ride the bike... I had my fingers crossed and hoped it was in good working order...
    1.jpg

being kept in the garage forgotten all these years led to dings and scratches... but overall the bike looked in good shape... When I first saw the bike, I was looking hard for; cracks in the frame, obvious rust to see how bad it was, I asked about the carburetor and the owner replied recently cleaning it in preparation for the sale. About the only other maintenance done was an oil change only, no filter change...
    2.jpg

score!!!!! :wings
    3.jpg

I've never ridden a kick start bike, I had to have the owner show me how to start it but she fired right up... You can see the surface corrosion from having been stored all these years and the color of the exhaust pipe suggest that the bike has seen little use... :thumb:thumb:thumb
    4.jpg
  8. black 8

Oddometer:
    surface corrosion all over the place... the owner installed a fuel filter cuz' there's rust in the tank... at least he was being honest by showing me the goods and bads about the bike... he also replaced the seat with a new cover since the old one was rotted out... that carburetor looks ugly though...
    5.jpg

those OEM Bridgestone Trail Wings weren't lookin' so good after 38 years!!! I was worried about the dry rot during the test ride around the neighborhood... 6.jpg

rusty @ss chain...
    7.jpg

8.jpg

The owner and I spoke for a bit about the condition of the bike and the maintenance it would require to get it back up to good working order... off the top of my head; definitely new tires, oil and filter change, clean the air filter, new chain, disassembly of the carburetor, new spark plug, valve check, clean out the gas tank to remove the rust, a new battery, new seals, and o rings... I offered a fair amount for the both of us given the condition and mileage of the bike. I had researched the bike a bit the night before I test rode it and saw what was offered in the Central and East Coast States, that and what other riders have paid in Thumper Talk/ADV Rider forums... He said he needed time to think my offer over... that was yesterday... He called me back this morning and we haggled a little more, but that 1981 Yamaha XT250 is mine... :ricky
  9. rodrigzj

rodrigzj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice score!
    sealsam and black 8 like this.
  10. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice classic find. How big is your garage?
    sealsam and klaviator like this.
  11. black 8

Oddometer:
    I guess there are still old vehicles out there that some owners have problems letting go... but it was a good find...
  12. black 8

Oddometer:
    Big enough was my answer to Mrs. B8 when she asked me the same question... it's a two car garage BTW...
    sealsam, B10Dave, Bigbob1 and 2 others like this.
  13. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way...

Oddometer:
    Nice find! Takes me back.
    sealsam, klaviator and black 8 like this.
  14. dano619

dano619 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap
    black 8 likes this.
  15. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way...

Oddometer:
    ...... wait, . . . WHAT did you say?
    I'm sorry Rudy but you are not a real motorcycle rider until you've had a 250 kick starter slip off your boot and whack you under full compression in the back of the calf.
    It's something you never quite forget. Lucky for you, you now have a bike that should check that box for you. :imaposer

By the way,
    if it has a compression release lever you are forbidden to use it until you've earned the right via massive bruises on your right calf.
    black 8 and dano619 like this.
  16. BmoreBandit

BmoreBandit nomo B

Oddometer:
    For a somewhat of a motorcycle junkie, looking at that little Yamaha and reading the descriptions (actually I sold XT225 this spring, I got it because I wanted to have something mellow to put around the city and then realized that it does not work for me in my present circumstance - I need bigger brakes and HP with these drivers), and then looking at your pics..it was like watching a movie full of suspense only to miss the final scene. What WAS the price? Who did it? How does it compare, etc, etc..

I bought a bike couple weeks ago, it was second thing everyone asked me ("what year, again? how much did you get it for?")

Last bike I kicked a bunch was XR400, and that was okay. I currently kick a 250 2T and that is totally fine. 4T, with decomp levers and crap, eh..you start thinking how E start was a great invention in short order. Not bad, just not fun.
    black 8 likes this.
  17. black 8

Oddometer:
    This carbureted XT250 is cold blooded.

I was changing the tires yesterday and afterwards I wanted to take it for a spin to make sure everything was seated. I must have been kicking that starter for a good minute or so before she fired right up... When she's warm, "no problemo" but let her sit for a while... :knary

Luckily RMATV has a good supply of replacement parts for the little Yamaha...

Zubb likes this.
  18. black 8

Oddometer:
    I paid 1K for the bike...

a bit more than what NADA recommends at $625.00 or what others have reportedly payed at $800.00 for a similar bike, however, the one I bought only had a little over 700 miles on the clock. When I took the wheels off the bike, the grease in the speedometer gear drive was that 1980's beige grease and had not been re-packed yet. The grease in the inner wheel bearings were the same way, OEM so I know the mileage is legit...

I was really looking for an easy handling bike with just enough horsepower to get over obstacles. I thought I could do the BDRs with the KLR but that was even too heavy at 432 lbs... even more with a full gas tank and loaded with gear. This XT250 Enduro weighs about 270 wet and makes about 22 bhp when compared to today's XT250 at 18 bhp @ 295 lbs. I compared light dual sports back in March HERE when I was looking for a bike to do the BDRs. Sure the GSA and MST Enduro can make it but I'd rather take a bike that weighs 270 lbs wet vice 525 lbs for the GSA... Hell I can lift the XT250 onto a stand to work on.

Weight is important to me rather than power off-road. The XT250 Enduro has enough power (for me) to tackle any trail and still be fun off-road rather than trying to wrestle with a 525 lb behemoth... Mostly I ride solo, even off-road, so I need something light fully loaded that I can pick up alone without giving myself a hernia...

This 1981 Yamaha XT250 Enduro has a different feel than the modern bikes I have ridden... It's like riding a BMX bike of days-gone-by during my youth when compared to a dual sport like say a WR250R, KLX-250, or CRF250L... With this XT250, I can flat foot it easily, I've even stood up from the seat at stop lights with a couple inches of clearance to spare when compared to 35 to 36 inches on these newer bikes. I can manage off camber stops way better than the higher seated bikes where I'm feeling for air with my foot in that scenario and end up laying the bike over because of the seat height. I have done that with the KLR...

I just like the feel of this bike, it fits me well and I foresee it handling well off-road... We'll have to see about reliability... the owner did warn me about the wiring and such since it's 38 years old. I have yet to pull the gas tank and take a look at the main harness so I can see the condition of the wires, the plastic coating may be brittle and rotted in some places. BUT that is why I bought this bike in this condition; something to wrench on and keep me busy in my retirement years... it also keeps me out of the wife's sphere fo influence... "Happy wife, happy life..."

:beer
    eaglescan, B10Dave, MYUMPH and 2 others like this.
  19. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Look at what I found!

[​IMG]
    B10Dave and black 8 like this.
  20. black 8

Oddometer:
    D@mn, I threw out most if not all of my old motorcycle magazines every time we did a PCS move...