SoCal Coddiwompling... (the XT gets ready for the CABDR)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by black 8, Jul 12, 2017.

1. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have thrown out a ton of old magazines but I still have a lot left. I will probably keep the really old ones like this one. There was a booth at the Barber Vintage Festival selling old magazines like this. I didn't check to see what they were selling for.
    black 8 likes this.
  2. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks

Oddometer:
    Have you changed the spark plug yet? That can help the starting of those older bikes. Also , the choke is fussy. Last, clean the carb, and make sure the idle jet is clear( very small hole). cheers, Steve
    black 8 likes this.
  3. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    Hey Steve, I've ordered some stuff for the bike already and I'm waiting for them to get delivered from RMATV/MC like: new plugs, gaskets, o rings, oil, oil filter, brake pads, and stuff...

I'm trying to pace myself working on the bike, little bit here and a little bit there, listen to some music, crack open an IPA type work...

I just recently installed new tires and finished lubing all the cables after 38 years of storage. I'm also checking the bike over and touching each bolt... I've already found a couple of loose ones...

But the big thing is this service bulletin that needs to get done...

old Tech Bulletin dtd 4 Feb '83 I found on the thumper forums...
    _homepages_37_d93795775_htdocs_Yamaha_media_kunena_attachments_2046_image-2-3-4.jpg

I'll give it a go here in a couple of days and hope to test it out on the trails in Ramona and Borrego when it cools Thurs/Fri...

:beer
    B10Dave, Zubb, MYUMPH and 2 others like this.
  4. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks

Oddometer:
    Good work, I knew you would be able to find info to help you get it in top shape. I will be following along.
    black 8 likes this.
  5. black 8

Oddometer:
    ~ 8 Oct 2019

Initial round of maintenance to get the XT road worthy for a ride...

So I got the bike home on Sunday and that made for an interesting ride with those 38 year old OEM Bridgestone's. I took nothing but surface streets and went no faster than 45 mph on the way home. The first order of business was changing the tires. As luck would have it, the XT250 has the same wheel sizes as the KLR and I mounted the Bridgestone Battlax Adventurecross AX-41s I had laying around... I was dreading installing these tires thinking they would be a PITA but they mounted better than expected. The front tire went on smoothly but the rear tire took a little bit of coaxing with tiny bites from the tire spoon.

At 270 lbs wet, I can lift the XT250 onto that 14" high stool...
    1.jpg

checking for loose spokes and cleaning some of that corrosion off... afterwards I carefully applied some ACF-50 on the spokes using a rag as an initial treatment but I'll have to go back and dedicate time just to the spokes...
    2.jpg

The oil in the case was nasty! Although the PO changed the oil but not the filter, it was still nasty... When I finally pulled the filter out, the elements were kinda' brittle and broke off in pieces when I pressed down on the element with my thumb... also lubed the throttle, front brake, clutch, decompression, and speedometer cables... I also repacked the inner wheel bearings and gear drive for the speedometer cable.

3.jpg

doesn't look too shabby with the new tires on... I'll have to go back and replace the old brake shoes cuz' I've read the OEM shoes are only glued on and can delaminate causing the brakes to lock up while riding... :muutt
    4.jpg

My goal is to pace myself and slowly get the XT to a point I have confidence in its reliability for any of the BDRs, Death Valley runs, and out to Utah... aaannddd be able to maintain that reliability over time even though it's 38 years old... The reason I want to do it slowly is cuz' I want to ride it and see what it can do out on the trails. Having taken the Honda Monkey off-road and experienced how light and nimble it is @ 234 lbs with its 9.25 bhp... I'm kinda' curious now at what a 270 lb bike can do with 22 bhp... that's a difference of 0.0395 versus 0.0814 in power to weight ratio... I want to see what that extra 40 lbs with a bump of 12.75 in bhp can do on the trails... :hmmmmm This thought came to my head while I was sitting at DMV on Monday to get the Certificate of Title changed over and get an updated registration... I-know-I-know, other riders have already experienced that with their Katooms and WR250Rs but I haven't yet... it's like having your cake and eating it too...
    Chillis, Bigbob1, BmoreBandit and 6 others like this.
  6. black 8

Oddometer:
    enough wrenching, time for a shakedown ride... this little XT can hustle with that 22 bhp now that I feel comfortable giving it a handful of throttle...
    5.jpg

spent a little bit of time getting some of that surface corrosion off... also applied WD-40 to the bolts should I have to take a wrench to them someday... I know I have to get that carb torn apart but for now its ride time... :ricky
    6.jpg

cleaned the chain, replaced those tiny foot pegs with the wider ones I took off the KLR and she also got the folding mirrors from the de-farkling...
    7.jpg

this XT is gonna' stay mostly stock, the only other thing I might change are the sprockets once I see how it does off road... I've already fitted my Kriega saddlebags and they fit well, you can barely see the mounting points just behind the tail light with the base legs going to the lower frame...
    8.JPG

About the only other thing I have to get done before I take the XT to Borrego Springs by weeks end is to adjust the valves and cam chain tensioner... still waiting of my supplies to arrive, hopefully I get them by Thursday or so...
  7. black 8

Oddometer:
    Other major maintenance items I still need to get done are: change the fork seals before they fail on me out on the trail, change from 10W to 15W fork oil since the XT will primarily live in the dirt, tear apart the carbs, and do the service bulletin as a minimum before I ride the XT out to Death Valley/BDRs... In all this research I've been doing about how to DIY on some of this stuff, I came across this little part of history about this vintage bike...

8. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have fun with it Rudy. A vintage 250 is just the right size. I have a '72 XL250 Honda in my shop awaiting it's new piston and rings this winter.
    klaviator and black 8 like this.
  9. black 8

Oddometer:
    I'm sure I will Dave, thanks... I'm really liking that little XT250.

As I get older, I'm starting to rethink the need for a 1000cc+ bike. Notice I said "starting" - not quite there yet though... I guess my taste in bikes are changing, but I still like adv touring with the bigger bikes in comfort...

10. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks

Oddometer:
    That video was done only miles from where I live! The town of Hope, BC was where they did Rambo.
    Chillis, klaviator and black 8 like this.
  11. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    Man thats some cool Stuff...lets see...1981? Hmmmm...you better take it easy Rudy Hannah! :jack
    klaviator likes this.
  12. black 8

Oddometer:
    :lol3

Don't worry, my retired bones couldn't do any of that stuff, but I'll still play in the dirt... besides my hair isn't as good looking as his...

a good throwback and history lesson...

13. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way...

Oddometer:
    I know you watched that clip a hundred times cause I can't stop watching it myself!
    Back in the day my dad had Suzuki's version of this bike. I can't remember which exact model but very similar in pretty much all ways. Dang I wish it was still in the family.

Your approach to bringing this bike to life is spot on perfect in my opinion. I love what you're doing with it and am looking forward to your reports.

PM inbound about Sunday ride.
    klaviator and black 8 like this.
  14. BmoreBandit

BmoreBandit nomo B

Oddometer:
    Looks good, Rudy. I think you could have done a lot worse for the money. And you have the patience necessary to live with and ride a 38yo bike.

As far as power to weight, I have a 250SX. Even without a 300cc piston, it has plenty power and still is lighter than XT. Definitely feels it.
    black 8 likes this.
  15. black 8

Oddometer:
    I love working on that bike, it's so easy peasy...

Remove two 10mm bolts that holds the seat and another 10mm bolt that holds the gas tank in place and the XT is ready for any service. Takes me about 2 minutes to strip down the bike...

The side panels are held by rubber grommets and just pulls out...
    MYUMPH, klaviator and Zubb like this.
  16. black 8

Oddometer:
    The way I look at retirement, I might as well enjoy it (family, life, riding, wrenching, camping) while I can since I can't take it with me (money) when I kick the bucket - at least I won't have any regrets...

As far as stability for Mrs. B8 and the kids - she gets my retirement for her lifetime provided she does not get married on top of the life insurance policy I have...
  17. black 8

Oddometer:
    ~ 10 Oct 2019

Rear Swingarm maintenance and lube...

I decided to tackle the rear swingarm this morning at 9:30 and I was in the zone disassembling the back end. I had suspected that the swingarm bolt would have rust on it since it's almost four decades old and that it lacked any type of lubrication all these years. My plan was to lube the swingarm just ahead of the weekend so I could ride the XT to Ramona and test her out on the trails. I have been keeping an eye on the temps in Yuma and Death Valley in the hopes of doing the CABDR at the end of the month... But I digress, sadly my suspicions were correct after I pulled the swingarm bolt. On top of that, the swingarm assembly was missing an oil seal on the left hand side of the bike (probably dry rotted and wore off). The missing seal likely allowed moisture to seep into the bolt and created a haven for rust to develop over the years... A quick trip to my desktop and I ordered the piece form RMATV and should arrive after Columbus day... Looks like I will have to postpone the test ride with the XT...

mud stuck to the frame is "no bueno..." if left unattended it attracts moisture, remains damp, creates rust over time, and rusts out the frame... specially in these vintage bikes with steel frames...
    1.jpg

there's that rusted swingarm bolt...
    3.jpg

believe it or not, the XT is an easy bike to work on compared to the KLR... it helps that I have a service manual to follow along...
    2.jpg

I also pulled the left side case cover to inspect the front sprocket and do a little bit of cleaning...
    4.jpg

Overall I was very satisfied with my progress on the swingarm maintenance and lube. Even though I was missing an oil seal, I cleaned the back end of the bike getting all that caked on mud from who knows how long its been there. I also stripped the thrust covers and bushings from the swingarm to get a thorough cleaning and lubed them along with the swingarm bolt. Everything is laid out in the garage waiting for the oil seal to arrive next week... Just as well, it gives me an opportunity to take out one of the other bikes for some exercise...

18. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Rudy...you could break it down "oldschool" and get some white pvc pipe the proper diameter, split it down the middle an make some leading edge fork protectors! Sheeeiiiit!! Hahah!
    black 8 and klaviator like this.
  19. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Zipping around Long Beach on my 28y.o. yesterday when I spotted this,

how could I not think of Rudy,

[​IMG]
  20. black 8

Oddometer:
    That must have been a popular color here in SoCal... and it looks like it's seen plenty of use...
    B10Dave and klaviator like this.