SoCal Homebase for Day Trippin'...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by black 8, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hahahaha.. That's great. If you buy one, and decide to go, I'm going with you.. I gotta get this recorded.

I've read RRs where they ride 250s to Alaska but they skim over the parts that say they went 25 mph for a day or two. I'm all for "Lighter" bikes but there's a point that just doesn't make sense to me.
    black 8 and Oldschoolrocker like this.
  2. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    I'm probably going to shy away from KTMs and Husky's...

KTM cut weight by using a shortened subframe, it was all plastic under the EXC-Fs rear fender... The 701 and 690 are different b/c of the extended frame to bolt that rear mounted fuel tank... There are rear rack kits made for them that bolt to the subframe under the seat but you can't weigh them too much or they will stress the frame...
    KTM-BARE-EXC-F-2017.jpg

In contrast the Honda CRF450L has a full subframe... "The subframe is so substantial that you can stand on the rear fender." says Dirt Bike Magazine...
    19_Honda_CRF450L_frame_L.jpg

I'm learning a whole lot of information with all this research for sure....
  3. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    MYUMPH, Chillis and black 8 like this.
  4. black 8

Oddometer:
    I get it... the idea may sound "cray cray" to some people but there are a few that choose to... I can't explain it, a part of me just wants to do it... I've been to the Arctic Circle on a KLR, to Key West on a Stelvio, and to the PNW on a GSA... I just want to do something different on a future cross country run... :ricky Will it be painfully slow? probably so, but just depends on how you view the adventure and the people you meet along the way. I like to travel on side and backroads at 55-60 mph instead of the superslab while I enjoy the scenery...

Just stand by though, when I make the plunge... there surely will be a ride report to follow...
  5. black 8

Oddometer:
    I saw that Sam... hope he's enjoying that 450L...

I'm slowly narrowing the field each time I find something I don't like about a certain bike...
  6. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What can I say?

Honda was the one to finally give us the street legal 450 class bike that is more focused on dirt than street.

The thing runs great but I find myself riding less and less on the street with it. Regardless of the efforts they made to refine it for on the street this thing is a dirtbike through and through.

Suspension is awesome. Tires do a great job at street and dirt but great at neither.

Super skinny seat with vibes that make my plumb numb.

Very linear and controllable power. Fuel economy is actually very good(50mpg mixed use). It is really fun legally getting away with riding a dirtbike on the street.
    MYUMPH and black 8 like this.
  7. fiddlefestival

fiddlefestival Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There is a trade-off, but doing BDR on my own, I'm down to the lightest bike, an XT 225. Did a 1000 mile loop last week that included the first 4 section of the CA-BDR, so 200-250 miles a day. If fuel injection is a need, the XT 225 successor XT250 is a cheap way to try it out, used at a small fraction of a KTM.
    http://rolandsturm.blogspot.com/2019/03/winter-2019-desert-route-2-anza-borrego.html

There is only one downside to a 250 type bike and that is freeway (but neither a DRZ nor KTM would be more comfortable, just faster), the 2 hours in or out of LA. But as soon as I was away from pavement, I never wished for a heavier bike, nor needed a more sophisticated one. I passed a rider who was a lot less happy already on the first section of the CA-BDR with his Africa Twin, Indian Pass (where it says "deep sand" on the map). And once I found myself under the bike in the mud, particularly happy not trying to dig myself out under more weight. I used to have a KLR, but already too heavy and I was lacking confidence to do real backcountry stuff on my own with the KLR.

One caveat, that's riding with others. An XT goes wherever an orange bike goes (or the new Honda 450), but slower. I was riding in the desert with some orange crowd last month and their preferred speed is too much for an XT suspension. Need to go about 10 mph slower on whoopy sand roads. On my own, I don't run into that constraint.
  8. black 8

Oddometer:
    I haven't put much thought into the Honda CRF450L, maybe I need to read about it in the Mega Thread...
    Chillis likes this.
  9. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Good luck with the thread. Lots of posts and great info. It is a long read though.
    black 8 likes this.
  10. black 8

Oddometer:
    Thanks Brian, I read through the MG Stelvio (merged) threadfest and that was in the 1,200s when I read it... of course I skipped some of the banter and just stuck with the relevant info...
  11. black 8

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input fiddlefest... I read your blog a while ago and is one of the reasons I initially had the 250cc class in mind... the light weight appealed to me since I ride solo 90% of the time... One of the ways I'm getting ready for a solo BDR is doing deadlifts to get some strength back in my legs... I'll have to lay down one of the bikes in the grass and intentionally lift a heavier bike so when it comes time to lift the lighter bike, it'll be a breeze...

Nice job with your blog BTW... much respect for all that cycling you do... I saw many cyclist crossing the 135 miles of the Denali Highway in Alaska... Have you done that yet? or is that something on your radar?
    DSC_4031_00001 (1).jpg

Rudy
    The Virginian and MYUMPH like this.
  12. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks

Oddometer:
    I see the seat height is 35 inches on the Honda 450l. I guess there are ways to lower that. I like the weight 290 ?
    black 8 likes this.
  13. Chillis

Oddometer:
    If you weigh about 200 lbs before clothes and gear, yeah, it lowers down!

I like it at stock height most of the time. Handles so well that most times you don't need to put the feet down.
    black 8, sealsam and eaglescan like this.
  14. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks

Oddometer:
    Yes the high clearance I have on my G650x ( 36 in seat ) is good for clearing rocks etc. but I have to leave it on the side stand and use the footpeg to get on. This is a pain when parked on soft ground, if you know what I mean. Of course when the bike is loaded with camp gear, you have to do that anyways.
    black 8 and Chillis like this.
  15. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    black 8 likes this.
  16. black 8

Oddometer:
  17. dano619

dano619 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Saw a Honda Monkey this morning at El Cajon Ford......looks like it would be uncomfortable day after day in the saddle.....standing up, moving around etc. Picking it up after it takes a nap would be a breeze. Reminds me of the old honda 70..... Good luck on picking a bike, always look forward to your ride reports with my morning coffee!! Thanks!!
    black 8 likes this.
  18. Project Mayhem

Project Mayhem Moto Aficionado Supporter

Oddometer:
    *Sigh*
    I’ve been missing my bikes of late and dreaming of our planned Summer adventures...while sitting on a chairlift/driving to work/shoveling snow/etc.. :D
    Below is the view from our living room window (outside Silverthorne, ~9700’ elevation) this past Sunday afternoon. The view at our primary home isn’t that different...and the driveway is a small glacier- so it’ll be another month or two before we’ll be waking the bikes up for the season.
    Guess I have to keep living vicariously through your posts.
    6FA2D07B-9598-4510-9709-CE6815E87739.jpeg
  19. fiddlefestival

fiddlefestival Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Going alone, the 250cc are right, at least the milder unintimidating ones. ADV means unexpected situations, having to worry about getting stuck underneath, not being able to turn a bike around in a tight spot, or dreading lifting it up, is a problem. I've had a KLR before, all those worries limited my riding and the KLR is a lightweight compared to GS/SuperTenere/AT. When you ride in a group that is on their monster bikes, a KLR is fine, I've done trips to Baja like that. I had way more fun when it got difficult and I could keep up on the highway. But alone, it has to be something I can kick off with one leg when I'm stuck underneath. It happens (as recently as last month in the mud). Except for the freeway, I see no limitation with the small bike. Now, when you ride with others, it may change as I said in previous response. The orange crowd wants to go faster than the suspension of the XT250/KLX250/CRF250L wants you to go. So I had a mismatch on this ride, fine when things became technical, but the XT has to be ridden slower on washboard/whoopy stuff than a KTM (or probably the Honda 450).
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/soca...ng-the-steps-of-the-death-valley-49s.1369435/

black 8 likes this.
  20. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way...

Oddometer:
    :( I miss living in Silverthorne. But not enough to move back there (yet) :jkam
    In a perfect world I'll have a place in (anyskitown) and be able to live in both during retirement. #missingcoloradofromtimetotime.
    Project Mayhem and black 8 like this.