SoCal Homebase for Day Trippin'...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by black 8, Jul 12, 2017.

1. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    ~ 12 Mar 2019

The KLR got some love over the weekend with a new 15T front sprocket, 43T rear, and a Primary Drive 520 chain... I've been meaning to change the 16T front sprocket back to the stock 15T for more grunt off road. The KLR has been munching a lot of dirt in the last few months and will DEFINITELY see more in the coming year...

"out with the old, in with the new..." - that chain was binding and needed to be replaced anyway...
    3.jpg

the front sprocket nut was a PITA to loosen...
    1.jpg

this also gave me a chance to lube the bearings and inspect the rubber dampers in the cush drive, they were still good to go...
    2.jpg

Now that the KLR is ready to go, I'll be riding to Borrego Springs tomorrow to take some photos of the flower bloom, explore some trails, and ride up to Foint's Point... thanks for the intel BTW @sealsam...
    DSC01303-XL.jpg
  2. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    Man...everytime you mention Borrego I keep thinking of the 243 up to this spot and all the great riding we did to and fro the high plateau. Love all that area. Lucky skunk!! 36E6BD1D-FA0F-4CCE-B40E-E0B23CC28AF6.jpeg
    The Virginian, klaviator and black 8 like this.
  3. black 8

Oddometer:
    With the installation of new sprockets and chain, I needed a shakedown and what better way than to take the KLR for a loop visiting the local motorcycle dealers...

This is what I like about this time of year, the dealers are discounting all the 2018s to make room for the incoming 2019 models. That and they know people will be getting their tax returns soon...
    5.jpg

Seems like a good deal until they add all the ADMs and other fees... may need some substantial haggling to get them down to a fair price...
    6.jpg

After some window shopping, I went over to Moto Forza to see the new Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE and take it for a test ride...
    7.jpg

Holy Cow! this thing is a beast - a Foie gras eatin' kinda beast, that's how refined it is... It's got linear power in all the gears and I felt no flat spots in the fueling. Ooooohhh that silky smooth motor and gearbox... My hats off to Triumph. I don't know what magic Triumph engineered with it's counterbalancer but I hardly felt any vibes on the bars or while seated in the seat. The gearbox was uber smooth and just effortlessly shifted into the gear selected without the usual "clunk"... Every time I upshifted on the highway I was worried I'd slip off the seat since I had no tank pads to grip... The Scrambler definitely needs a sport windscreen to keep that wind blast off the chest. The exhaust guards did a pretty good job of keeping the heat off the inside of my right knee, that and maybe the cooler 64℉ temps helped a bit... probably another story in the middle of summer...
    8.jpg
    The Virginian, EMFL, Bigbob1 and 5 others like this.
  4. black 8

Oddometer:
    Next time you come down, you need to "play some" in Borrego Springs... twisties on the way in, play in the dirt, and twisties on the way out...

not my video... We call this Montezuma Grade <-----

Skooter, Oldschoolrocker and B10Dave like this.
  5. black 8

Oddometer:
    Next stop was the BMW dealer, seems like the market (at least here) is flooded with used R1200 GS/GSAs now that riders are upgrading to the R1250 GS line...
    9.jpg

some competitive financing options to boot this time of year...
    10.jpg

Last stop for the day to see more discounts...
    11.jpg

IMG_1081.jpg

The KLR's new setup seems to be good during this shakedown. The chain no longer binds so it's cleared for more dirt exploration...
  6. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I tried to hit Font's yesterday, but ran out of time. Beware Rudy it's 4 miles of sand, at least the Ranger was confirming that as of yesterday. I did spend a good amount of time over in Octillo, the Discovery Center has some good info on the area, worth the stop. The Ranger there guided me to Devil's Slide, a short hike up the hill to the north, then bam. A decent yellow bloom going on, it was pretty cold so the flowers weren't popping. We had a drizzle all night last night, so with the warmth coming, tomorrow may be a good flower day Rudy.

[​IMG]

I tried to hike to The Slot, but after 30 minutes of following the directions on the sheet I was given, I found out I was on the wrong trail. The directions say take the N/E trail out of the parking lot, DON'T! Take the N/W trail.:baldy

There is a good amount of flowers on the south side of Borrego Springs Road btwn Yaqui Pass Rd & 78. It's about 2/3 of the way to 78, there is a big dip in the road, flowers are on the slope facing south. Lot's of cars stopping AND turning around, BEWARE if you go Rudy. I didn't ride anywhere but town today, too much work at the house, but yesterday was about 100 miles on my new CRF250L.

I'm packed and pulling out of Borr in the morning, gotta get to work(remember those days Rudy?). Everything for breakfast/lunch is pretty busy right now. The Red Ocotillo is mine and my wife's go to place. Carmelita's in the "mall" is awesome for Mex, Carlee's does everything well, my bacon c/b today was fantastic.

Too hard to explain, when on Montezuma, btwn the Lookout and the bottom, there are two very green canyons that the Bighorn have been hanging out, north or west side of the road. Just maybe you'll get lucky.

Enjoy the ride Rudy, weather should be improving, very very windy right now.

[​IMG]
  7. black 8

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update Sam.

I've been keeping an eye on the weather in Borrego and I'll stop at the Anz-Borrego Visitor Center to get info from them before venturing out... Tomorrow should be a nice sunny day after all the winds and rain this past weekend so I'm hoping for some bloom... Plus with all this rain it should have tamped down the sand wash a bit unless the 4X4s have made a mess out of them...

Tomorrow should be a good day for photos out there...

cheers Sam...

Rudy
    klaviator likes this.
  8. black 8

Oddometer:
    ~ 13 Mar 2019

Font's Point and Flower Blooms...

The weather forecast in Borrego Springs called for temps in the mid-60s and sunny so I thought I'd take some photos of the desert bloom and tackle the four mile sand wash up to Font's Point... :p3rry
    1.jpg

But first, I had to make sure I could pick up the KLR... method one was to pick up the ground side handle bar by lifting with you legs... pretty easy. Method two was putting your back to the seat, grabbing the ground side handlebar and the rear rack... After doing both methods, I prefer the former over the latter...

3.jpg

2.jpg

After picking up the bike it was off for the two hour ride over to Borrego Springs...
    4.jpg
  9. black 8

Oddometer:
    I could tell from being on CA-76 that Borrego Springs would be busy today... I followed the same set of cars all the way into the flower fields...
    5.jpg

I caught myself on the action camera taking photos of the flower fields...
    6.jpg

this is the first time I've been out here for the flower bloom and it's amazing how the desert comes to life in the spring...
    _DSC5763_00001.jpg

_DSC5759_00001.jpg
    The Virginian, EMFL, Skooter and 4 others like this.
  10. black 8

Oddometer:
    OK... the real reason I came to Borrego Springs is to ride the 7.9 (in/out) miles of Font's Point Wash all the way to the top and finally take some photos...
    9.jpg

I stayed seated (scooted as far back) the majority of the time... in all the videos that I've seen, you are supposed to keep your body weight over the rear so the front tire sails over the sand... It does work as long as I kept the momentum going... there was a couple of spots where the sand was deeper and I physched myself out where I had to dab my foot a couple of times to stay upright. SAND is my nemesis and I have to face it head on!
    10.jpg

made it to the top! or at least to the parking lot...
    11.jpg

finally...
    12.jpg
  11. black 8

Oddometer:
  12. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks

Oddometer:
    Great photos of the badlands. I really like the 3rd shot with the green showing on the slopes. That never happens out there, amazing what enough rain can do. And I can see Blowsand Canyon out in the distance!
    black 8 likes this.
  13. black 8

Oddometer:
    Borrego is definitely a new playground for me, I have so much more to explore out there... thanks for showing me the ropes out there Steve.
    sealsam, Zubb and klaviator like this.
  14. Norty01

Norty01 RIDERCOACH (RETIRED!)

Oddometer:
    Wow, thanks for the photos of "Rockotillo!" Been A LOT of years since I've seen these views. (I mean A LOT!)

Might want to try OJH or HVR enroute to the dez, next time.
    black 8 likes this.
  15. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks

Oddometer:
    [RQUOTE="black 8, post: 37183346, member: 380470"]Borrego is definitely a new playground for me, I have so much more to explore out there... thanks for showing me the ropes out there Steve.[/QUOTE]

I wish we had more time to meet up, I wanted you to coach me thru posting reports with photos.
    I belong to a site at home DSBC, and will send a Borrego report next.
    sealsam and black 8 like this.
  16. black 8

Oddometer:
    I had so much planned while I was out at Borrego Springs. I wanted to see more of the flower fields and visit other metal sculptures but I was spent riding Font's Point Wash! Coming down from the Point seemed much harder for some reason, maybe it was the heat since it was later in the day. Whatever it was I was done riding dirt for the day and I headed back to the coast for some cooler temps...
    31.jpg

17.jpg

On the way home I spotted these green fields just off the S-2, something you rarely see in Southern California so I had to stop for some photos.
    19.jpg

20.jpg

Another day of great riding on the books... I figure I better enjoy this spring weather before summer rolls in with the heat turning everything with a bland color of brown...

The KLR has been getting plenty of use lately, I need to get some knobbies installed on the beemer so it can "get some"...

until next time...

:beer
  17. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks

Oddometer:
  18. black 8

Oddometer:
    I've been on Old Julian Hwy several times but not Highland Valley Rd... I'll have to take a look the next time I head that way, thanks for the tip...
    sealsam likes this.
  19. rickj

rickj Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rudy,

Don and I did a ride out to Borrego today as well! Too bad we didn't run into you...

I think the best bloom is actually on the Salton Seaway a few miles out past the turnoff to Font's Point on the north side of the road. These are the fields that I've seen videos of online which are describing it as a "super bloom". I don't think it's a super bloom, but we haven't have a decent bloom in several years.

On Sunday Marilyn and I also drove out in the SUV to check out the bloom. The fields along the Salton Seaway were a bit better than today. We drove the Truckhaven trail so we were able to get to some pretty great bloom areas off the beaten path and do a little hiking. We also went into Coyote Canyon as far as the second stream crossing, and there was a lot of color! The ocotillo cactus wasn't in full bloom yet, but just starting to bloom. The small cacti weren't blooming yet either.

If you do another ride out there I recommend riding into Coyote Canyon (Google it). The road is in great condition as far as the second crossing and the stream crossing isn't bad. Marilyn wouldn't let me go any further, and since we're going to be selling the Durango I figured it best not to go further. There's a third crossing that used to be pretty deep and may not be passable by bike. Check with the visitor information center for conditions. We didn't ride out Coyote Canyon at all today as we had limited time and Don just installed some street biased tires on his GSA. Bad timing, but he was enjoying them in the twisties going up the Montezuma grade.

I used to do a lot of 4-wheelin' out in Borrego and Coyote Canyon was my favorite place to go. It's also a great place to camp. In fact, there's a great place to camp right at the 2nd crossing. I've camped there many time back in the old days. It's been closed for some time now, but it used to be possible to drive all the way from Coyote Canyon up to Anza.

Enjoying reading your thread / blog...

Rick
    klaviator and black 8 like this.
  20. black 8

Oddometer:
    Borrego Springs and the Salton Sea are so much closer than DV... I can get my "craving for dirt" when I go there...

I've got a set of Shinko 804/805s in the garage waiting to get mounted on the GSA... I'm feeling the need to take the GSA off road to see how it handles. The Shinko's got a good review from MOTOTREK (Bret Tkacs) so I thought I would give them a go...

keep the rubber side down Rick...

cheers...
    klaviator likes this.