SoCal Homebase for Day Trippin'...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by black 8, Jul 12, 2017.

1. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just curious Rudy, did you get a flu shot? I've never had one!

BTW, nice loop you knocked out. Have you ridden Highland Valley Rd yet? Not real long or over the top epic, but a nice ride. I believe it recently came up on your thread, just not sure though.

Glad to see ya back on the road Rudy!
    klaviator and black 8 like this.
  2. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    Hey Sam, I didn't get one last year. I usually get the flu shot but with the passing of Mrs. B8s father we didn't... Will have to make sure we get it early in the fall this year.

I haven't been out there yet. I'm thinking of getting out in the next couple of days to exercise one of the other bikes... suppose to be nice on Wednesday...

I'm still working on the KLR for next months ride... I just installed a semi-new Garmin 200W gps that I bought from eBay for $33.00... still working out the luggage issue. Right now my hard panniers are packed and ready to go but decide to take soft luggage instead in case I get the itch for some dirt while I'm out... so I'll have to re-adjust the packing tomorrow...

I was tempted to get the Red Monkey over the weekend and prep it for my cross-country ride next month. I got the farkles saved in my eBay wish list; rear luggage rack, YSS adjustable shocks, and skid plate... however, I'm holding out for one in Banana Yellow. It will be hard these next three weeks... I'm quietly wishing that I'll get a call from Fun Bike Center that they have a yellow one in stock...
    sealsam, Wierdrider and klaviator like this.
  3. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sheeesh...and I figured you’d be rippin’ that DUCATI up here. KLR? I’m bummed now...thats what I call BOGISNESS! Sooo slow and well... ummm......:baldy
    sealsam and black 8 like this.
  4. Norty01

Norty01 RIDERCOACH (RETIRED!)

Oddometer:
    black 8 ~
    Please go try a Husky 701 or new (2019) 690 as they're much better bikes on the road, as compared to the 500/501 models. Sure, the 500's are street legal (when stock,) but they are lousy street bikes, but wonderful offroad bikes. The 690/701 is a much better road/dirt ratio, if you need to run on the street for any appreciable distance.
    I test rode the 701, then rode a friend's 500 offroad. I settled on the 701 2 weeks ago. (I got a much better deal by going North) as GP "couldn't get there" and Moto Forza "wouldn't get there" price wise. (Both dealers owned by the same dude!)
    Also, I see you were in town...
    Wierdrider and black 8 like this.
  5. black 8

Oddometer:
    It's got to do with mileage and resource management... trying to put the miles on and using the spare tires I have left...
  6. black 8

Oddometer:
    I was thinking the same thing about the 690 Enduro(s). I've read the engine is much better and less vibby on the '19 model...

Both '18 / '19 models were sitting side by side and I had a chance to sit on them just to get a feel. I was still on the tips of my toes even with adventure boots on. I know it doesn't matter while on the move but I don't want to get caught in an off-camber situation and I'm reaching for air... I've been there several times with the KLR and had 0 mph tip overs on the trail... A Seat Concepts saddle could possibly help along with a lowering kit but I need something that I can flat foot...
    klaviator likes this.
  7. Norty01

Norty01 RIDERCOACH (RETIRED!)

Oddometer:
    The ergo's between the 18 and 19 MY 690's is likely negligible. The difference in those 2 years is within the engine cases. (More power/less vibration.)
    black 8 likes this.
  8. black 8

Oddometer:
    Just out for a leisurely ride today to take a look at some more bikes... it's hard not to ride along the water when you live in a city called "Oceanside" :lol2
    IMG_1148.jpg

IMG_1143.jpg

got to test ride this late model F800 GSA... I was surprised how light and nimble this mid-sized Beemer was... that 21" tire makes it hard to turn-in the corners unlike a 19" tire but I bet that thing would be great in the trails... I never turn down a test ride just to see the difference in handling, ergonomics, power delivery, comfort and so on... can't beat a day of riding and looking at bikes...
    IMG_1155.jpg

IMG_1159.jpg
    MYUMPH, popscycle, sealsam and 4 others like this.
  9. Oldschoolrocker

Oddometer:
    Sweet!! Nothing like riding around on a “bayerische mist wagen” or also known as “bussen mussen wagglen” !! Haha!! My German is off most likely because its been alot of years but My old German buddy turned me on to those. Translation if needed!! Cheers!
    sealsam, black 8 and Wierdrider like this.
  10. black 8

Oddometer:
    Keine Übersetzung nötig, ich habe Google Traslate
  11. Oldschoolrocker

Oddometer:
    Hey Rudy! Do you have a tentative date set on your departure north? We hope to leave the Spokane area by the 5th of May and head towards Lava Hotsprings, Flamming gorge, 9 mile canyon, Moab, 3 Step hideaway, Moki Dugway, Valley of the Gods then hopefully Show Low in AZ. After that who knows. Time will tell!! Have until the 21st to be back unless I get a cold (Cough cough) because travel conditions are too good! Ha!
    black 8 likes this.
  12. black 8

Oddometer:
    Eric, for right now I'm planning to leave around the 7th of May... I'm keeping an eye on the Nevada DOT cameras and looking for a clear window at the higher elevations... hopefully when I arrive in the Spokane area you'll be headed back that way and we can meet somewhere in between... I'll probably stay in Clear Lake for a few days and make that my homebase for exploring the roads you recommended...

When do you think you'll be headed back towards Tacoma? Maybe I can time my arrival as you make your way back west...
  13. Oldschoolrocker

Oddometer:
    I think we’ll have to play it by ear. It will all depend on how much time we have towards the end of the trip. Say the 18th or 19th of May. We usually try and swing back through the Spokane area on the way back from our trips east so that might work. We can keep in contact either on here or via phone. I can PM you my number beforehand and shoot texts as to our locations etc or just blow this place up with wicked sweet pics of whats going on! Either way we’ll try and make it so!! Maybe even in route up through IDAHO or something? This is one of our first with no set itinerary just initial locations which will be pretty cool. Cant wait Rudy!
    black 8 likes this.
  14. Oldschoolrocker

Oddometer:
    black 8 likes this.