SoCal Motography Adventures...(Monkeying about....)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by black 8, Jul 12, 2017.

1. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Norty...
  2. black 8

Oddometer:
    Thanks and welcome...
  3. black 8

Oddometer:
    No... I was lucky this time. The rain came in before and after I went through Texas and the Gulf Coast states, but it was cold as heck. The lowest temp I rode in was 33.7℉. Yesterday the temp didn't rise above 40℉ until 10am... even with the heated gear on max I was :vardy...
  4. black 8

Oddometer:
    ~ 23 Jan 2020

Benchmark Maps...

This came in the mail today. I purchased two from eBay (Texas and Utah) prior to leaving and had it sent to Florida. I'll be using this along with other information I find on google... The Benchmark Maps offers a greater level of detail over the Butler Maps I own and are only slightly more in price with the free shipping, plus I got a discount for the two maps. The only down side is the size of the map. At 15 1/2 x 11 in size and 1/2" thick, it's not exactly bike friendly. I see myself using it again and again with multiple rides back to Texas like Terlingua and Big Bend National Park. I'll have to do my research and plug the places I want to explore in my Garmin Montana...

thanks for the info on the Benchmark Maps @sealsam
    DSC01946.JPG
  5. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    Tell me you didn't miss the BBQ in the hill country.
    black 8 likes this.
  6. Norty01

Norty01 RIDERCOACH (RETIRED!)

Oddometer:
    Does anyone use Mad Maps anymore?
    black 8 likes this.
  7. black 8

Oddometer:
    BBQ is ubiquitous in the Hill Country, I made sure to speak with locals for their favorites and got a couple of recommendation:

~ Black Board Bar B Q in Boerne - Adam said I had to try the Luckenbach Lollipops...

~ Cooper's Old Time BBQ Pit in Llano...

I'm sure there are more and will speak with the locals when I'm out and about...
    whiskeygut, B10Dave and Wierdrider like this.
  8. black 8

Oddometer:
    Never heard of Motor Adventure Destinations (MAD) Maps until now... thanks for the info Norty...
    B10Dave likes this.
  9. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Safe travels and we all look forward towards your ride reports Rudy. Seriously, they're that good.

Eric
    Wierdrider, black 8 and MYUMPH like this.
  10. black 8

Oddometer:
    Thanks Eric...

Waste not, want not. I have to ride back home after my mom's recovery so I might as well have an adventure...
    B10Dave, The Virginian and MYUMPH like this.
  11. black 8

Oddometer:
    ~ 25 Jan 2020

Bionic grandma...

We brought mom home on Saturday and she was already up and about racin' her walker around the house. The doctor only performed a partial knee surgery after determining she didn't need a full knee replacement. She's anxious to get back to normal so I have to get her to slow down. In the meantime, she's scheduled for two weeks of physical therapy to get her back up to par... I have at least that amount of time to research routes, destinations, and BBQ joints in the Hill Country... :dukegirl

:beer
    klaviator, rickj, Wierdrider and 7 others like this.
  12. Wierdrider

Wierdrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad everything went good with Mom's surgery. Enjoy your time with your parents, we’ll be waiting patiently for the RR and Photographs.
    black 8 likes this.
  13. black 8

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jim...
  14. black 8

Oddometer:
    ~ 2 Feb 2020

Superbowl Sunday...

After a week and a half from my Mom's knee surgery, I was getting an early onset of PMS... and dishpan hands from house chores... :jack

Anywho, I decided to get an early morning ride in to get the juices flowing on the F800... I wanted to get out and back before my Mom got up and started milling about on her walker...

It was one of those perfect Sunday morning rides; the streets were empty, the cool morning air, very little humidity... it was nice in contrast to summer weather here...

I like early morning photos with that soft morning glow from the sun, even caught the mist rising from the lake...
    IMG_0892.jpeg

On another note, my Dad gave me his old SLR rig that he used back in the day... an Asahi Pentax Spotmatic with a Super Takumar 50mm f1.4 lens. I've been wanting an old school film camera for about a year now and would check B&H Photo's used gear every now and then. I don't know why but as I get up there in age, I have a greater appreciation for old school stuff instead of today's giga-gear... I'm mellowing in my older age I guess... I did a little research on the old Pentax and it was first released in 1964. Come to find out the Super Takumar lens is radioactive... back then they used rare earth materials (either Thorium or Lanthanum in the glass) to achieve higher image quality. Long story short, the radioactive material in the elements will produce a yellow tint in the glass over time... the remedy is to expose the elements to direct UV light which removes some of the tint...

do they even have 1 Hour Photo anymore???
    DSC01947 (1).jpeg

checked the serial # on the lens and it's on the radioactive list... getting that direct UV light treatment...
    DSC01953.JPG

My Mom has a follow up for her knee on Feb 6th so I'll be playing it by ear when to head back... so cheers for now...

15. Wierdrider

Oddometer:
    I’ve got a couple of enlargers and all the gear if you want to set up a darkroom Rudy?
    That Pentax was a real workhorse, we used to abuse them pretty good in photo class in HS! Pretty interesting about the radioactive aspect.
    Oldschoolrocker and black 8 like this.
  16. black 8

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jim... North Coast Photographic Services (NCPS) out of Carlsbad can process the film for me and turn them to a HQ digital format - much easier than having prints...

I've been reading up on 35mm film types and I'll be having fun with this new format...
  17. Norty01

Norty01 RIDERCOACH (RETIRED!)

Oddometer:
    I've been known to take a few pics, now and then.

Fun to blast around www.nikonians.com for some ideas.
    black 8 likes this.
  18. black 8

Oddometer:
    ~ 11 Feb 2020

Homeward Bound...

Well.... it's time to head home after Mom's partial knee replacement surgery. She's progressing extremely well with her rehab working with the physical therapist during home visits these past two weeks. Happy to say she can bend her knee to 95 degrees in motion and can almost walk without the cane... in fact she's doing so well I took her out for a test drive the other day. Also my brother arrived this weekend so we'll be doing the high-five so I can start my ride home.

I'll be spending a couple of days exploring the Texas Hill Country and tasting their highly lauded BBQ on my way back to SoCal... :dukegirl

some of the routes and BBQ joints I plotted on Basecamp... there's more but I only have a couple of days in the THC, but as the governator said "I'll be back"
    Texas Hill COuntry.jpg

Alaska 2020 will have to be pushed to Alaska 2021...

Mom gave me the official warning order that she needs me in late August to watch my Dad while she goes on a Pilgrimage to Spain, hence the reason for her knee surgery. On the bright side, this gives me the opportunity for an epic East Coast ride to rekindle some memories from my youth...

19. Wierdrider

Oddometer:
    Sounds awesome Rudy, BBQ for breakfast, lunch, and dinner for a couple of days:clap
    black 8 likes this.
  20. wrussell61

wrussell61 Card Carrying Cult Member Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rudy - coming back from Florida, you will be going through a BUNCH of potential places for BBQ depending on your route. Don't wait until you hit the hill country to get your fix. There is a very strong resource over at our local glossy magazine - Texas Monthly - that ranks the top 10 places in the state as well as a list from 2017 that highlights the top 50.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/s/the-golden-age-of-barbecue/

Make sure you have some notches left in your belt. You might need them if you spend too much time in these palaces of smoke and meat.
    The Virginian and black 8 like this.