SoCal Motography Adventures...(Monkeying about....)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by black 8, Jul 12, 2017.

1. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    for sure Jim... :dukegirl
    Wierdrider likes this.
  2. black 8

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the pro-tip!

When my brother lived in Rancho Sienna west of Georgetown, he took us to Louie Mueller Barbecue and we had a carnivore meatfest with the brisket, Dino beef ribs, and some jalapeño beef sausages. We arrived right at opening but there was already a line. Once the door opened, people made their way to the counter but we were just outside the front door. It took us another two hours to move from the front door to the counter. It was worth the wait though...

wrussell61 likes this.
  3. okiegtrider

okiegtrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Willow city loop is a nice little trip when you are in that area. Nothing to eat out there, but nice scenery. Went through there last summer. :thumb
    black 8 likes this.
  4. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I see some meat sweats coming up!! Lookin forward to this!!
    black 8 likes this.
  5. black 8

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the recommendation... I plan to ride through there just to peek at the area but I’d like to come back through the THC in the spring when the bluebonnets come out...

6. black 8

Oddometer:
    So.. am.. I... :ricky :dukegirl :drink :ricky
  7. black 8

Oddometer:
    ~ 12/13 Feb 2020

Gas and go...

The ride to Kerrville, TX was unremarkable... it was strictly slab on I-10W headed to the Texas Hill Country.

I left Kissimmee at 6:30am and the temp was a cool 64℉. It was one of those perfect early morning rides as the sun greeted me headed north on US-27. There was a hint of citrus in the air from all the orange groves that lined the highway... :ricky I was in the zone...

As the day progressed, it reached a high of 83℉ according to my onboard temp gauge. What made it worse was having all my rain gear on since it called for showers in the Florida panhandle headed into Moss Point. Day two started with some rain so I had all my gear on again. I just kept my rain gear on the entire day to block the cold wind since the temps never rose above 57℉. The sun wouldn’t come out until Houston but even then the wind chill was still there. Since it was gas and go, repeat... repeat... I did manage to get some iPhone pics for the record...

filling up along the I-75 before hopping on I-10W...
    07BDCED1-6541-47CD-A797-B2932E208067.jpeg

woke up to rain in Moss Point, MS...
    BBC3BC0C-3A62-4712-B777-2356B22F9C98.jpeg

had some brisket for lunch once I got into Texas to get my BBQ on...
    BC600644-10C0-4150-A85F-1117509275BC.jpeg
  8. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Been a few days,

I gotta think Rudy must be having a grand time, can't wait to see this.:lurk
    The Virginian, Wierdrider and black 8 like this.
  9. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    I seen him! ATGATT dont apply now. Way to small...:jack
    8544C04E-B434-4962-8727-D2926C581657.png
  10. black 8

Oddometer:
    I'm actually back in SoCal Sam... I got back last night just in time for some lane splitting on I-5 North before making it home for dinner...

11. black 8

Oddometer:
    Ha... it certainly felt like that after riding around with Texas bbq brisket in my gut for a coupe of days..

Did you thaw out some Eric or are you still snowed in up there???
  12. Oldschoolrocker

Oddometer:
    Hi Rudy! The snow pretty much comes and goes. Maybe close to a foot at one point. I do shovel the pad in front of shop and a path from house to shop but it seems to be a mellow year. Right now theres no snow. My travel for work every other week over Snoqualmie to the west side or back has been great. Seem to luck out with the conditions. I've been towing the car trailer every other week back to the old place which our boys now rent so no major hurry getting last bits of garage type belongings moved. I actually stay in my camper in driveway during my work week which isnt too bad cause my shifts are 12-13 hours a day for 7 days. Great bed in there! Slowly getting going on pimpin out the shop. Just last week I had to get going on it cause I felt choked out with all that had been piled in there. Felt good for a change. Also whats nice is that even when its 40 during the day and the sun is out its actually warm! Nice! Seem to spend alot of time just tripping out on the views of the beautiful area we live. Not a neighbor in site. Weird!! 0139A15F-5A88-49D2-9D9A-6CBA8BE8CA2C.jpeg CHEERS RUDY and all you great people! Life IS Good!!
  13. Oldschoolrocker

Oddometer:
    Last pic is this morning. Love it! 4402BBD7-010B-4CA0-942B-0731370204B6.jpeg 4466F832-A3D2-4E85-B69A-3932E2DB0705.jpeg A7032663-A324-423B-B7C8-A99AEA80B6CE.jpeg
  14. black 8

Oddometer:
    ~ 14 Feb 2020

The Texas Hill Country and bbq brisket... let's do this...

I was excited to spend a couple of days in Fredericksburg and explore the nearby area. I was out early this morning at 6:30 am to get those golden hour photos and to beat the tourists from photo bombing my pictures. The ride out was bitter cold at 34.7℉... so cold that my GoPro kept locking up trying to capture some video of Texas 16. The unit recorded only a couple of seconds and then stopped blinking letting me know that recording was interrupted. The only way that I could reset it was to take out the battery and start over only to lock up again... Who knew that GoPros were prone to cold wind chill???

Anywho, I arrived at Fredericksburg before the hustle and bustle of Main Street...

"Fredericksburg was founded on May 8, 1846 by German immigrants under the Society for the Protection of German Immigrants in Texas. John O. Meusebach chose the location for the second of the Society’s colonies four miles north of the Pedernales River between two creeks. He named the settlement Friedrichsburg (later changed to Fredericksburg) to honor Prince Frederick of Prussia. Settlers received lots in town with an additional 10 acre lot outside of town. The colonists planted corn, built storehouses to protect their provisions and trade goods, and prepared for the arrival of more immigrants, who came throughout the summer. By 1850, census records stated that the town had 754 residents, and Gillespie County had 1,235 residents.

On March 1, 1847, Meusebach met with several tribes of Comanche Indians unarmed to negotiate a treaty between the Tribes and the town of Fredericksburg. Meusebach asked that the townsfolk be allowed to farm the land along the Llano in return for the Comanche being allowed in town at any time. He furthered the offer by promising that in times of hunger, the town would provide the Tribes with grain in return for game, honey, and bear fat. The Peace Treaty was made and the peace piped smoked."

roll through here during business hours and you'll be hard pressed to get a parking space from both residents and tourists...
    1.JPG

Willkommen...
    2.JPG

places like this is worth bringing the family for some shopping, wining, and dining...
    3.JPG

Main Street lined with the Texas and US flags... old school Americana...
    4.JPG

15. black 8

Oddometer:
    Since I had previously scouted the area, I knew I was close to Luckenbach so I headed there next for more golden hour shots. I love this time of day when the lighting is soft unlike the harsh light at noon...

Getting out early also means I don't have to fight with the hordes of tourists taking their selfies, I can just walk around and take in all the scenery at my pace. There's something about walking in places like this filled with history and one can only imagine what life was like back then...

"The Rev. August Engel (1818-1904) a circuit riding Methodist preacher immigrated to Texas in 1846 from Germany. In 1859 he married Katharina Ernst (1837-1920). They had six children. August Engel served as postmaster for five years in Blanco County and for 32 years at Cranes Mill in Comal County. He was succeeded as postmaster by his son August Engel, Jr in 1904 who purchased 6 acres in 1895 in Gillespie County from Carl A. Luckenbach. A post office was established in Engel’s home in 1886 with August Engel, Jr. serving as postmaster. His sister Minna was asked to name the new post office, married to C. A. Luckenbach chose the name Luckenbach. A general merchandise store with a post office area, blacksmith shop, cotton gin, saloon, and warehouses were added to the property. A dancehall (Tanz Halle) also located there was a center for social gatherings. William Engel replaced his brother August Engel Jr. as postmaster in 1890. William’s son, Benno W. Engel Sr., was appointed postmaster in 1935 and served in that capacity for 36 years. The Luckenbach post office was discontinued in 1971 after 85 years of continuous service to Gillespie County and to the community. (1996)”

the Luckenbach Loop... the Post Office is at the center of the loop with the Dance Hall to the left, seating area and stages behind the Post Office, the Feed Store, and Egg House to the right side...
    5.JPG

obligatory glamour shot...
    6.JPG

7.JPG

left side of the Post Office with the beer garden and one of the stages...
    8.JPG
  16. black 8

Oddometer:
    After a few minutes of walking around, the workers at the General Store started showing up. That's when I met Adam, he was there to get the store ready for opening... We started talking about the history of the Luckenbach Post Office and he asked me if I wanted to see the inside... I said "sure" - actually in my head I was saying "Hell Yeah!"

I ended up getting a personal tour and a couple of stories off Adam. His family goes back a ways from the early settlers in the area and his great grandfather was once the Town Chief of Police...

Adam showing me the bar area in the back of the General Store...
    11.JPG

Adam pointing to one of the two bullet holes, the other in the edge of the oval photo by his sleeve, a furious Luckenbach resident fired his pistol in the bar when he found out his wife was cheating on him back in the early 70s...
    12.JPG

the front door looking back from the bar...
    10.JPG

shot from the front door looking at the entrance to the bar...
    9.JPG
  17. black 8

Oddometer:
    the Office used to be called the Egg House where local farmers brought their eggs to be graded, packaged, and shipped to Austin to be sold...
    17.JPG

the Feed Store now used for storage... back then locals pulled their wagons and trucks up to the loading dock to pick up feed for their animals...
    18.JPG

another stage and seating behind the old Post Office... notice the lights stung up around the tress and branches for night time ambiance while you listen to music and enjoy adult beverages...
    19.JPG

20.JPG
  18. black 8

Oddometer:
    by mid-morning I was ready to explore some of the backroads, namely the Luckenbach Pig Path...
    21.JPG

it warmed up enough for the GoPro to work again so I managed to capture some photos during the ride...
    22.jpg

this would probably look nice in the summer when the trees are full of foliage...
    23.jpg

a local state park that I stopped by for the views...
    24.JPG
  19. black 8

Oddometer:
    the terrain in the Texas Hill country is like a rollercoaster ride with dips and curves coming at you in every direction... be careful for the deer though, I must have had at least half a dozen deer either come across the road or attempt to cross only to run beside me...
    25.jpg

this dip gives you a sense of depth... look at the yellow sign at the bottom of the dip on the right side...
    26.jpg

upon a closer look, the flooding can reach as high as five feet...
    27.jpg

after the Luckenbach Pig Path, I made my way back to Fredericksburg for some bbq brisket at Backwoods BBQ...
    28.JPG
  20. black 8

Oddometer:
    the Backwoods BBQ in Fredericksburg, TX... established 2016...

I arrived at 11am just in time for opening and there were a few people already gathered... the parking lot had a few cars so there was plenty of parking...
    DSC02029.JPG

no joke... it was about Family, Food , and Tradition...
    13937895_150146665418829_9036606048121129964_o.jpg

I was third in line to order and this burly Texan comes up to me out of the blue... looking back now, it was like that old Sesame Street song "one of these things is not like the other, one of these things just doesn't belong"... I was dressed in a Klim jacket, cargo pants, moto boots, and a Klim Arsenal vest while everyone else was dressed in their street clothes... He introduced himself as Michael and asked what brought me to Backwoods BBQ? I replied with "I rode all the way from California just to eat here" and he was surprised... I guessed that he worked at Backwoods BBQ so I asked him what he recommends... he said you definitely have to try the brisket... they also have Tri Tip Texas style rather than what California is know for... I went with recommendation of the brisket... He said he'd come by later to see how I was doing and he went about his way to greet other customers and help out at the counter...

I ended up getting a combo plate with the brisket and pork ribs with two sides; the cream of corm and beans with bacon bits... it was reasonable at $17.00 and change with the drink. I didn't feel like gorging on bbq then having to get back on the bike later... My first taste was like "huhuhuhhh... crap this is the best brisket I've had" in my head... I ordered the marbled brisket with just enough marbling to make it moist and the seasoning was perfect... it didn't even need any bbq sauce. The pork ribs just as tasty with a hint of cayenne for some heat but not hot. Everything tasted good!!!! As I was eating, the lines kept getting longer as the noon lunch crowd showed up. It stayed busy as I ate and the tables filled up quick...

As promised Michael came by in the middle of my lunch and asked how it was going... I said it was the best brisket I've had so far anywhere when compared to generic chain restaurant bbq... he thanked me and asked if I wanted to tour the kitchen area and see the bbq pit area... I was like "what is happening?" in my head... people kept inviting me for a tour of their business... The planets must have been in alignment for this road trip or something... As you can guess I wasn't going to turn down the invitation for a tour...

IMG_0912.jpeg

the lines stayed busy the entire time during lunch...
    DSC01665.JPG