1. eNewsletter Sign Up

SoCal Motography Adventures...(moto therapy...)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by black 8, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes it gets fairly deep at times. This weekend was extreme.
    Baja will be posted again once this chaos slows down. Hated to put that one off though.
    sealsam and black 8 like this.
  2. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    ~ 17 Mar 2020

Death Valley Park Closures...

I'm glad I decided to pause my ride out to Death Valley with park services closing in the next few days. It would have sucked if I got caught in the closures out at DV. As it is I can only carry limited supplies on the Monkey, who knows what food/supply shortages the communities along the route are facing; Brawley, Blythe, Needles, Shoshone, Furnace Creek, Lone Pine, and up to Bishop...

Looks like I'll just be doing local rides and wrenching on the bikes until things start to normalize...

Untitled (1).jpeg
  3. Wierdrider

Wierdrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. black 8

Oddometer:
    I know where that is... if the tag is closer to O'side I may grab it. I'm just concerned that I may get Bruced tagging the next location...
    Wierdrider and sealsam like this.
  5. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    With park closures it is visitor centers and ticketing booths, park programs.

The parks are usually left open and outside management companies still run restaurant and hotel services.

Don't let the closures scare you.

Too much misinformation gets spread.
    sealsam, klaviator and black 8 like this.
  6. black 8

Oddometer:
    It's not that Brian... I have a Lifetime Pass for all the National Parks and a California Parks Pass that can get me in with camping at little-to-no cost. So I'm good...

It's more a logistics and lodging thing. If I were to take any of the bigger bikes, I can sustain myself off the supplies I carry and would only need gas. However, I can only carry limited gear and water on the Monkey, everything else is consumables that I need to purchase on the road. Then there is the cost of hotels... I'd rather spend $10 to $11 at Panamint Springs and Furnace Creek for a campsite rather than $150 for a hotel at Stovepipe Wells. That $150 in hotel costs funds my gas and food for the entire trip and then some with the Monkey's 120+ realistic (157 reported) mile range per 1.5 gal tank...

Having a fixed income these days means I can't make it rain money like I used to. So if I want to have multiple adventures throughout the year, I have to practice "economy of resources"...

m-i-r.gif
    B10Dave, Wierdrider, sealsam and 6 others like this.
  7. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you can, post up how you accomplish your travels.

Camping is starting to hit my radar as I've gotten older. I'd rather have HVAC and hot water but still, I'd like to get a grip on how it is done, especially how you are doing so with a smaller bike.
  8. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've got some basic camping gear that I have moto-camped with on a giant Katoom. I'm going to try it out on the CRF 250F Rally this spring up on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Being the cheapskate that I am, all my gear is scratch and dent or clearance REI stuff. With all this extra time I need to try and load that on the CRF and take it for a test run.

Rudy,

It's a shame I'm so far away as I would roll with you in a heartbeat.

Eric
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    B10Dave, Wierdrider, sealsam and 4 others like this.
  9. black 8

Oddometer:
    Will do...
    klaviator and Chillis like this.
  10. black 8

Oddometer:
    That's a good lookin' set-up Eric... can't wait to see what it looks like on your CRF 250 Rally build...

Same here, most of my gear is new old stock that sells for far less than MSRP... just recently got a Big Agnes Cross Mountain 45℉ sleeping bag and pad combo for $42. I like camping to get back to basics; that primal instinct to "sleep under the stars and grill meats..."

Yup, there are several inmates on the east coast I'd like to meetup whenever I make it out that way after this whole COVID-19 pandemic...
    sealsam, MYUMPH, klaviator and 2 others like this.
  11. The Virginian

Oddometer:
    Can you point me in the direction of the Big Agnes deal?
    B10Dave, sealsam, MYUMPH and 2 others like this.
  12. black 8

Oddometer:
    Make an offer with this seller... I recommend starting at $38. You have three chances before your final offer: eBay

Everyone else is selling them for over $110.00

The only drawback is that the sleeping pad is on the narrow side...

Untitled.jpg

*** edit: use the updated linky for the bag and pad combo
    Wierdrider, sealsam, MYUMPH and 2 others like this.
  13. The Virginian

Oddometer:
    I've been kicking around ideas for your Monkey's problem carrying camping gear and provisions. Maybe a scooter type trailer on the Monkey will fill the bill? Here's an example.

[​IMG]
  14. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Eric, Rudy-

I pulled one of those for a few years, the wife would fill it every time.:fpalm

[​IMG]
    Wierdrider, MYUMPH, klaviator and 3 others like this.
  15. black 8

Oddometer:
    that thing weighs 229 lbs and is just as heavy as the Monkey at 234 lbs...

if a manufacturer offered one of these I'd consider one but these are one of a kind hand made by an inmate...

1ifKKq5.jpg

75awWSZ.jpg

Wierdrider, MYUMPH, SoPaRider and 2 others like this.
  16. rodrigzj

rodrigzj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have you looked at the mountain bike trailers! They look pretty light.
    IMG_5038.png
    Wierdrider, MYUMPH, black 8 and 2 others like this.
  17. black 8

Oddometer:
    ~ 20 Mar 2020

Social distancing in the man cave...

I spent the day packing and re-packing all my gear in an effort to go lighter... in the process I found that I loaded my tank bag too heavy and would have likely cracked the HDPE Givi tank bag mount under the stress of off-road riding so I had to re-shuffle everything around. I switched from my Klim vest to a backpack in the midst of the re-shuffle so I can fit my Big Agnes Cross Mountain sleeping bag and quilt for those chilly nights while camping... Afterwards I tested how everything would integrate on the Monkey and found the backpack was hitting the bag on the cargo rack... so more re-shuffling... I'll likely keep playing with the set-up until I find the right compromise of enough camping gear vs. comfortability while out on a multi-day adventure...

Speaking of the Monkey, I replaced the 15T drive sprocket with a 14T and "holly guacamole..." that was the best $6.99 that I spent from RMATV/MC... the little Monkey grew some cojones... I made it a point to ride the Monkey beforehand to feel the acceleration and I did see a difference in low end grunt after the 14T install aaannnnd I got up to 62 mph today for the first time on flat ground... as if 9hp really makes a difference :lol3...

easy peasy... pop the sprocket cover, loosen two bolts, and wiggle the 15T sprocket out... even managed to clean all the grease and sand under the sprocket cover... 1.JPG

install the new 14T sprocket, loctite the two bolts, torque bolts to specs, and button everything up... last step was to adjust the chain...
    2.JPG

next up, I'll be replacing the stock fork oil from 10W to 15W to help soak up bumps on the trails...

:beer
  18. KICKNBACK

KICKNBACK Old enough to know better young enough not to care

Oddometer:
    Just a little FYI keep an eye on the Upper forward part of the chain slider now the with the smaller sprocket
    black 8 likes this.
  19. MYUMPH

MYUMPH 'Ol Timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Interesting...I totally get the improved power down low by gearing down like that, but by also adding top speed also doesn't seem possible. I guess it didn't have the power to pull the stock gearing flat out and the rpm's are available to improve top end. Will have to look into this for my Z125. Flat out with stock gearing it will max out around 55mph per GPS, and 64MPH per GPS down hill, tucked in, tailwind, etc. It's amazing what these little engines/bikes can do.
  20. black 8

Oddometer:
    :thumb