SoCal Motography Adventures...(Texas Hill Country and BBQ)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by black 8, Jul 12, 2017.

1. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    Sand, gravel, asphalt - all I know is I'm just looking forward to the new year when I get back on the saddle after weeks of PMS...

stocking up on my "happy wife, happy life" rewards points for future adventure rides...
    2.jpeg

Tortola, British Virgin Islands...
    4.jpeg

St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands...
    5.jpg

at sea sunset...
    7.jpeg
  2. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rudy; probably too late now; but both times I have been on a cruise to St Thomas me and my Missus rented a Honda 250 dual sport to get all over the island easily. Great riding in the higher areas near Drake's Seat. Fun coming back down to the harbor with a truck on your ass and wondering how good his brakes are. Enjoy the cruise and family time Rudy. Merry Christmas to you and your's.
    klaviator and black 8 like this.
  3. black 8

Oddometer:
    It was hard passing ALL the scooter rental places as we exited the port but Mrs. B8 wanted to walk around and explore after being cooped up on the ship... we both wanted a break from the cruise ship cycle: endless buffets, game shows, Pina Coladas, and the like...

3.jpeg

On another note, my first long ride of the new year has been set... my Mom's getting a knee replacement surgery and I'll be headed back to Florida at the end of January 2020 to help her get around...

I see another trip down to Key West... :ricky
  4. black 8

Oddometer:
    Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays Everyone...

upload_2019-12-24_12-36-18.gif

5. Wierdrider

Wierdrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just got back from a little jaunt, Merry Christmas Rudy and all. F6EA4C38-FA56-41A5-99BB-84890FFB2FAE.jpeg
    Zubb, The Virginian, krautman and 5 others like this.
  6. MannyUrrego

MannyUrrego Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @black 8 Started your RR a few weeks ago and have enjoyed catching up on all your Pictures and adventures. Fellow Crayon eater here and love to see all the adventures your getting into post Marine Corps. I have to say thinking about you showing up to work on the monkey with all the Junior Marines around would have been a hoot had it been in the stable back then:lol2! Thanks again for putting the time and effort into this RR, we certainly get a whole lot of enjoyment out of it. Next time you stumble up to Alaska swing by, beers and burgers on me :photog:beer:dukegirl
  7. black 8

Oddometer:
    Thanks for tagging along Manny... once I retired, I hit that quick release buckle followed by a loud thud and never looked back... Now I'm just going around to places that I've wanted to or dreamed of visiting... my motography keeps me outta’ trouble these days...

I'm sure I'll be back up that way in the next year or two and would be honored to share a cold one with a fellow devil dog...

s/f,
    Rudy
    MannyUrrego likes this.
  8. Lone Stranger

Lone Stranger Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    black 8 likes this.
  9. Lone Stranger

Oddometer:

I've been to The Hideout many times!!! I used to ride So Cal a long time ago on a Honda XL350 (biggest POS I have ever bought). I would sometimes carry my USMC issued sleeping bag and sleep out on the trails. Years later I added a wife and kid which reduced my ride times to day trips on a Harley.
    black 8, sealsam and Wierdrider like this.
  10. Lone Stranger

Oddometer:

Many years ago I would take the divide from Fall Brook and ride the dirt all the way to El Toro Road!!! The only time I would touch pavement was crossing the 74. Unfortunately much of it is now closed off or paved over.
    black 8 and sealsam like this.
  11. Lone Stranger

Oddometer:

The Ortega has changed a LOT!!! Very few places to legally pass now. Parts of it have a 4 foot concrete wall so you can't enjoy the views. The Lookout is still owned by the same lady, though she has partners now. I spoke to her a couple weeks ago. She didn't remember me (I'm easy to forget) but she remembered some of the other guys I'd see up there like Sarge (remember him?) and a few others. The Candy store is still there as is the little store about a mile or so west of the Lookout. Hell's Kitchen is a biker hangout and is across the street from the little store. The camp ground on the west side is closed.
    black 8, sealsam and klaviator like this.
  12. Lone Stranger

Oddometer:
    black 8 - I've been to shops in Thailand that did nothing but Honda Monkeys. LOTS of mods - pretty much everything you could think of. I'm going back in a few months and I'll take some snaps if I see anything interesting.
    black 8 likes this.
  13. black 8

Oddometer:
    Thanks... most of the parts I ordered for the Monkey came from Thailand...

I never get tired of riding in and around the North County... so many places to explore... even when I ride the same route, sometimes I discover new places or views....
    klaviator likes this.
  14. Lone Stranger

Oddometer:

I have ridden North County from Camp Pendleton but I almost always rode North or East. As a young PFC/LCpl living in an open squad bay in Horno ridding saved my sanity!!! When I retired we were living in Mission Viejo - 10 minutes from the Ortega.
  15. black 8

Oddometer:
    ~ 15 Jan 2020

Turn and Burn...

The family and I got back from our
    Caribbean cruise last weekend and now I have to turn and burn for a cross country trip to Florida so I can help with my Mom's knee replacement surgery... I had to take Mrs. B8 and the kids back to SoCal in anticipation for my Mom's lengthy rehab and recovery until she can safely get around by herself... My Dad is there but he suffered a stroke in early 2000 so his capacity is a little diminished... looks like I'll be doing some housework and planning the menu for the next coming weeks...

replacing the OEM Anakee 3s with 8K on them, they still had about 4mm of tread but I decided to install new Shinko 804/805 Adventure Trails so I don't have to worry about tread life for the trip... I'm taking the F800 since she gets about 55 mpg...
    DSC01651.jpeg

As always I won't let this adversity get in the way, rather it's an excuse to have an early "motography" adventure... I won't have much time for coddiwompling while enroute to Kissimmee but I'll have time to scout some areas along the way... Once my Mom recovers I plan to explore some parts of Texas, particularly the Texas Hill Country. I've read ride reports and have seen photos of the area and the THC have piqued my interest. My only riding experience in Texas is super slabbing across the I-10 and one ride on US-90 from Van Horn to San Antonio...

I still have some packing to do but I'll be going light for this trip. I thought about camping along the way however the weather through the Gulf Coast states calls for rain and severe weather...

I'll be leaving this weekend and finally getting over my parked motorcycle syndrome... wooo hooo... :ricky

Zubb, dano619, MYUMPH and 9 others like this.
  16. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    2016724A-1D8A-493F-9B6F-CF1CDA8E919E.jpeg May your Mom have a great recovery Rudy. Nice you'll be able to ride thats for sure. Not happening up here. Cheers!
    klaviator, black 8 and Wierdrider like this.
  17. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    All the best to your mom for a speedy recovery and safe journey on your trip Rudy!

Eric
  18. black 8

Oddometer:
    Thanks Eric...

Up in Alaska I used to ride snowmobiles and bomb across the frozen lakes at WOT... If I were to retire in the PNW, I'd have a snow bike kit for winter fun to run across all that empty snow fields you have up there in Davenport...

MainImage.jpg
  19. black 8

Oddometer:
    I like what you're doin' to that CRF 250L Rally Eric... you planning on coming out here for Moab this spring??
    The Virginian likes this.
  20. richard310

richard310 Meat Popsicle

Oddometer:
    Hoping for a speedy recovery for your mom, and safe travels along the way and back. That Texas super slab is deceptively long, even in a car. But looking forward to the photos!
    black 8 likes this.