SoCal Motography Adventures...(........)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by black 8, Jul 12, 2017.

1. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    Kelly, that reminded me of a situation I had while riding The Old Spiral Highway... I was in a couple of the hairpin turns and the front tire/handle bar shimmied back and forth a couple of times... The pucker factor on the old sphincter went from 1 to a 1,000 in a nanosecond... "WTF" went through my head... then it happened again in another turn and I thought there was something wrong with the bike's front suspension... about 3/4 of the way up I figured out it was the tar snakes making the front tire lose and regain grip...

I agree, nothing like 80/20 for some highway and light off-road stuff... the OEM Anakees would have lasted me another 1K with the 2mm of tread left... That was one of the main reason's I took the GSA, to wear out the OEM tires and make way for some knobby tires. I've been wanting to take the GSA off-road for some time now...
    klaviator, Zubb, MYUMPH and 1 other person like this.
  2. black 8

Oddometer:
    congrats on the new F850 bobw...

I was also in that "perfect tire quest" until I came to the realization that motorcycle tires are about compromise... go knobby and have less tread life; go round donuts and have long tread life but no off-road grip... So now I just run whatever tickles my fancy for my off-road motography needs, nothing too technical but ones that lead to picturesque scenery like Striped Butte in Death Valley... You're right about the new generation of adventure tires coming out... that's why Continental needs to up their game with their legacy TKC80s... I really like those Motoz Tractionator GPS, my dealer carries them and other inmates swear by them. It's one of my top choices should I go on a 9K+ trip...

Have fun with the new bike...
    klaviator, MYUMPH, bobw and 1 other person like this.
  3. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way...

Oddometer:
    I love that road! For sentimental reasons as well as the pure racetrack layout. Tar snakes! The worst tar snakes in the west are on Highway 12 through middle and southern Utah. Holy crap do those make the bike dance around in the corners!
  4. elcabong

elcabong Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Holy crap, you're so right. I was on Hwy. 12 three weeks ago during my Bryce /
    Zion NP trip and never had my tires dancing like that. That road gets lots of abuse.
    Zubb and black 8 like this.
  5. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi Rudy! Pretty quiet down there. Hope all is well and i’m not missing your posts somewhere else. All good up here and looking forward to our next ride! Should be some good stuff June 13-17 up in “Gods country”. Cheers! ERIC
  6. black 8

Oddometer:
    I'm waiting on a used Garmin 680 I won at auction on eBay... it comes preloaded with 100K Topo maps of the US and I ordered a 24K Topo of CA, NV, OR , and WA for some off-road routing... suppose to get here this weekend... I'll be mounting it on the F800 and head out next week to wear out the tires and get some more moto camping in... I'm testing my load-out getting ready for the fall when I head out to Utah and Arizona...
    B10Dave, Zubb, Project Mayhem and 2 others like this.
  7. black 8

Oddometer:
    ~ 9 June 2019

500+ miles for a burger...

I spent this past Saturday getting an off-road routable gps mounted on the F800... I hardwired it to the dedicated gps connector (Repair Plug, 3 Pin - NO. 611656) located under the ignition cover. It was a pretty simple operation and I was done in a couple of hours... I also played around with the gps just getting used to the menu and adding a few of my dedicated waypoints into the internal memory. The reason I opted for this particular Garmin is so that I can upload .gpx files of routes that other inmates made and the BDR routes. I don't like using my iPhone for navigation and that's just me, that and my older Garmin nuvi 200W is just too outdated to support uploading routes into memory... Now I don't have to guess which fork in the trail to take when I'm on a BDR... :ricky
    1.jpg

The F800 is packed for a three to four day coddiwomple up north... I'm going light on this trip; tent, chair, and a couple of Wolfman large rolie bags which holds my tools and camping gear... I'll have my flight vest as well to carry my hygiene kit and a change of base layers... sadly I don't have room for a laptop nor will I be taking a DSLR (going mirrorless camera this time) so no updates for this trip until I get back at the end of the week...

Basically I'm headed north towards US-395; the part that I skipped when I took CA-127 headed to the backside of Death Valley on my last trip. I'll be exploring some ghost towns along US-395 and whatever nuggets I see along the way... I'm deliberately stopping at Middlegate Station, NV for lunch to have one of their namesake burgers. The last time I was there, it was way too early in the morning for a burger...

Thanks to @Project Mayhem for getting me in the mood for a burger when he devoured one of these recently from his trip down in Texas...
    51BDB7F9-EDF2-4EB7-BF13-1DE8403E3AF2.jpg

I'll be taking off early tomorrow so I can get a head start prior to rush hour traffic...

:beer
    bobw, Bigbob1, popscycle and 9 others like this.
  8. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way...

Oddometer:
    Godspeed my friend. Bring us back pics and stories . . . :-)
    MYUMPH, black 8 and klaviator like this.
  9. Project Mayhem

Project Mayhem Moto Aficionado Supporter

Oddometer:
    Safe travels Rudy...burger well!
    black 8 likes this.
  10. black 8

Oddometer:
    ~ 10 June 2019

Round two of Historic US-395; there's so much to see...

I've read a few articles naming Historic US-395 as "California's Mother Road" and I can certainly attest to that statement. I've seen firsthand some of the sightseeing opportunities along US-395 ranging from ghost towns of the old west, living towns, National Historic Sites and Parks, vacation destinations, and more... I'm probably just scratching the surface and need to return again and again...
    1.jpg

I left at 6am to get an early start. Although my route is only 347 miles and about six hours of direct riding, I allowed for some fudge factor for motography opportunities... starting off with some coastal fog... 2.jpg

first stop was The Rim of the World Highway... it was significantly night versus day when compared with my ride up during my coddiwomple through the western states with included fog and rain... I could see and enjoy the many twists and turns as I made my way to the top. The ride up was great with views like this to start my ride and I just let the SoCal traffic slowly melt away...
    3.jpg

I didn't bring my trusted D800 on this trip and I'm forcing myself to shoot with my Fuji mirrorless camera and my iPhone as back up...
    4.jpg
    B10Dave, klaviator, MYUMPH and 5 others like this.
  11. black 8

Oddometer:
    6,400 feet worth of panoramic views from The Rim of the World Highway...
    5.jpg

CA-18 headed up the Rim of the World Highway...
    6.jpg

pure motorcycle therapy right here; a cool morning ride through the pine trees as the sunshine peeks intermittently between the tress while making my way down the backside on CA-138...
    7.jpg

and riding along Silverwood Lake...
    8.jpg
    bobw, B10Dave, klaviator and 5 others like this.
  12. tjt94

tjt94 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have you ever gone over Sherman Pass? I did it two years ago and found it to be really great!
    black 8 likes this.
  13. black 8

Oddometer:
    No not yet...

I'm hesitant to cross over some of the mountain passes up north due to snow... while headed up US-395, signs were posted on which passes were closed and which were passable... I really wanted to go over CA-120 to Yosemite but it's still closed... I'll probably do a day trip in the fall when the autumn colors come out...
    klaviator likes this.
  14. DeathValleyTiger

DeathValleyTiger Scrub

Oddometer:
    I've done day trips over Sherman Pass since I live so close, it's an amazing, long ride. Trail of 100 giants can be seen as well with a short detour. I'm hoping to have time one of these next weekends to run up and check Sherman, I'm fairly certain it's still closed though.
    black 8 and tjt94 like this.
  15. rodrigzj

rodrigzj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Rudy
    Did you camp out?
    Or was it just a day trip.
    Sorry if I missed that.
    black 8 likes this.
  16. MYUMPH

MYUMPH 'Ol Timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Those pictures are just amazing Rudy!
    klaviator and black 8 like this.
  17. black 8

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I'd like to do that ride but at the expense of going in the middle of the summer heat and tourists... I hit temps of 99.5℉ south of Lone Pine.. it's expected to be in the low 90's at the end of the month but that even sucks when you're camping out...
    MYUMPH likes this.
  18. black 8

Oddometer:
    I was out for three days and camped out...

It's the quandary of posting live against posting after the fact... In the latter, "lifus interrupticus" takes over and I had to run errands with Mrs. B8 this morning before I can continue with the ride report...
  19. black 8

Oddometer:
    Thanks... I'm trying out a new kit and took tons of photos that I'm sorting through...
  20. DeathValleyTiger

DeathValleyTiger Scrub

Oddometer:
    If you can tough it to Tehachapi, you can follow the Caliente-Bodfish road to Isabella, around the lake and follow the Kern up to Sherman and camp there. Return route the same way and you can avoid most of the 105+ heat. It will still be 90ish until Sherman, but once you're at isabella the temp will quickly drop.
    black 8 likes this.