SoCal Motography Adventures...(........)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by black 8, Jul 12, 2017.

1. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    Kelly, will do.

It was nice getting together with fellow riders this weekend at the Tech Day to do some wrenching and talk shop. I hope that your Beemer got sorted out with that broken crash bar bolt...
  2. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way...

Oddometer:
    Yes, and thanks for the kind assist! Recap of the day HERE.
  3. black 8

Oddometer:
    Back in SoCal from Key West... here is the Ride Report

looking forward to logging some rides locally to test different gear and load-outs for future rides...
    Spank and Zubb like this.
  4. Wierdrider

Wierdrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Welcome home, your RR has been entertaining
    Zubb and black 8 like this.
  5. black 8

Oddometer:
    thanks... hope to get some riding in soon...
    Wierdrider likes this.
  6. kickstandsup

kickstandsup Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great RR and photos!

Welcome home...I think you know where to find the IPA... :photog
    black 8 likes this.
  7. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    wait a minute, weren't you just.............oh, never mind.

:ricky
    black 8 likes this.
  8. black 8

Oddometer:
    Mrs. B8 had Sierra Nevada Extra IPA cooling in the fridge...
    Zubb, Wierdrider and kickstandsup like this.
  9. black 8

Oddometer:
    Saki was not happy at all... I had to coax her to start by using the choke AND adjusting the idle... :( the other girls were plugged in with a battery tender but gotta get them out...
  10. black 8

Oddometer:
    ~ 7 April 2018 / Day 1

This day trippin' ride report was prompted by a PM conversation between @rickj and I about our Redverz Solo tents. During my solo to Key West ride, I posted some info about my experience with the Redverz on Rick's "Alaska 2018 - Let's Share Plans / Logistics" thread... one thing lead to another and I got an invite to ride with him upon my return to SoCal... more on that later...

The general plan was to meet up with Rick, Bob, and Don for a shakedown ride in preparation for their Alaska 2018 Adventure... though I have never met Rick... we have exchanged several posts, a few PMs, and one phone call... I always look forward to meeting fellow inmates on ADV Rider and the opportunity to ride together is always welcome...

Day 1 route...
    dv0.jpg

Day 2 route...
    dv00.jpg
  11. black 8

Oddometer:
    When I got back from Key West, I worked on the KLR-650 to get her ready for a short three day trip... with that said I wanted to validate the lighter load out and Death Valley was as good a place as any for a shakedown ride... I have never been to DV and was looking forward to exploring a new destination...

the morning started out early since the scheduled meet up with Rick and Bob was at 0700... I managed to catch this sunrise on my way inland to Temecula...
    dv.jpg

I met up with Rick and Bob early so we could try and configure our headsets but we had "no joy" trying to get my Cardo Scala to communicate with Rick and Bob's Sena SMH10... I was so caught up with trying to get our headsets up that I forgot to snap a photo of our first meeting... glad that I had my camera mounted since I was just tagging along for their Alaska shakedown...

heading up the I-15 with Rick in the lead and Bob had tail end charlie since they both had comms with the Sena...
    dv1.jpg

we later hooked up with Don further up on the I-15 at Norco and proceeded to make our way to US-395...
    dv2.jpg

about mid-morning we stopped at the Roadhouse Restaurant for breakfast at Kramer Junction... this was the first time we got to hold a conversation and get to know Rick, Bob, and Don... they were easy going and little by little I got to know each one...

Bob on the left and Don on the right with their GSs, Rick was out of the picture in this one... my KLR was "literally" camouflaged behind Don's beemer... :jack
    dv3.jpg
    MannyUrrego, Spank, B10Dave and 3 others like this.
  12. black 8

Oddometer:
    it was back on the road after breakfast... the further north we traveled - the more the landscape changed to the vastness of the desert...
    dv4.jpg

dv5.jpg

fueling at Searles Valley... it was also time to shed warming layers as the temps climbed heading into Death Valley...
    dv6.jpg

dv7.jpg
    Spank, Skooter, BigDogRaven and 3 others like this.
  13. black 8

Oddometer:
    heading into Death Valley... the winds were blowing sand across the road at this point and the clouds weren't looking good either...
    dv8.jpg

luckily it was just a light shower...
    dv9.jpg

so we ended up taking a detour to Panamint Springs Resort where they had a restaurant to get me "Lobotomized" with a Lobotomy Bock Lager... that sure did feel good going down after having gone through 100+ degree temps... here's Rick sitting across from me... we just sat there for a while enjoying the respite from the heat while slowly drinking that cold nectar of the gods... it's tradition between these three to get Lobotomized every time they travel to Death Valley and it was good to take part in this as I slowly got to know them better as the day progressed...
    dv10.jpg

view of Death Valley from the restaurant porch...
    dv11.jpg
    MannyUrrego, Spank, Skooter and 6 others like this.
  14. black 8

Oddometer:
    we arrived at Furnace Creek campground and the first order of business was to get our tents up... for me I wanted to test out this LL Bean Solo tent... you can see my lighter load out with the KLR... the tank bag held my FujiFilm camera and smaller easy to access items... the left 12L Wolfman large rolie bag held the tent and stakes strapped to the 1.75 gal Rotopax gas jug... the right 12L rolie bag held my tools, tubes, stove, canteen cup, and air pump strapped to a 1.75 Rotopax water jug... inside the 30L dry bag on the cargo rack was my change of clothes, travel pants, warming layer, shoes, hygiene items, towel, sleeping bag, Klymit sleeping pad, and food... my camping chair was also strapped to the rear cargo rack.... as you can tell I went really light during this trip...

the one man tent was OK for short trips and it got the job done but nothing like the Redverz for all the room it offers... just to be able to stand or sit in it with your chair while getting dressed inside the tent... getting dressed in that one man tent was a hassle along with getting my gear in there with me... some stuff stayed on the bike but the important stuff was in the tent with me... next time I'm going to try out my Eureka two man combat tent...
    dv12.jpg

here's Rick and Don's set up with their Redverz for Alaska... come to find out Bob won't be making the trek to Alaska this time around... all three made the Alaska trip in 2015 Here which I'll have to re-read... it should be interesting this time around since I got to know them a bit...
    dv13.jpg

after dinner Rick and Bob volunteered to make a beer run into Stovepipe Wells... while Don and I held down the fort... it took nearly and hour for the beer run so Don and I kept busy by talking to each other about cameras, Mavic Pro drones, and how the three became friends... Rick and Bob wouldn't return until around 8pm or so just after twilight... a camp fire would have been nice for the ambiance but the temps were still on the warmer side as we consumed our cold beverages... Don even brought some Grey Goose... I really enjoyed just sitting with them as we spoke for hours about our adventures, backgrounds, our families, and life in general... I got to know them even better through our conversations and determined that their character were of the "salt of the earth"... at some point Rick asked me what my wife does while I'm out on my moto adventures since I just got back from Key West... I replied that she keeps the home fires burning as she has done over the years that I have been away from home due to my career in the military... (I had an epiphany then... I should be home with the family after spending 37 days on the road from Key West) the seed had been planted... after about 11pm our sleeping pads were calling... too warm to be inside the sleeping bag but was calling nonetheless... it was a good ending after the day's ride...

here's a photo of Bob silhouetted by lamplight as we sat drinking beer and as I got to know Rick, Bob, and Don in greater detail...
    dv15.jpg
    MannyUrrego, Spank, B10Dave and 5 others like this.
  15. rickj

rickj Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rudy,

I'm really glad you came along on our shakedown ride as we get ready to leave for Alaska in 2 months. I really enjoyed getting to know you and appreciate the tips on how to put up / take down the Redverz tent. Don and I used your technique taking down the Redverz yesterday morning in the Alabama Hills, and I think I'm finally getting comfortable with that tent! It's a noisy one inside when the wind is blowing though.

I really like how you have your KLR set up for light camping. There will be more rides ahead!

Rick
    bobw, Wierdrider and black 8 like this.
  16. black 8

Oddometer:
    ~ 8 April 2018 / Day 2

we all got up early at around 6am so we could pack up in the cool morning air... but when that "heat tab" in the sky crested the mountains, you could feel the sun's rays on your bare skin...
    dv16.jpg

heading out towards the Nevada stateline...
    dv17.jpg

we stopped at Rhyolite Gold-rush ghost town - a popular place with the movie industry to shoot as a backdrop for their projects...
    dv18.jpg

then it was on the road for Beatty, NV for some breakfast at Mel's Diner...
    dv19.jpg
    Spank, B10Dave, BigDogRaven and 3 others like this.
  17. Wierdrider

Wierdrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve always said it’s better to have a bottle in front of you, than a frontal lobotomy, now I’m so confused!

Can you share your tips on setting up/taking down the Redverz please?
    black 8 likes this.
  18. black 8

Oddometer:
    Maybe I’ll do a series of photos in the coming days that illustrates set-up and take-down...

Rudy
    Wierdrider likes this.
  19. maldos

maldos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rudy, it was a pleasure meeting you along on the ride. You're always welcome to join the group whether it's a day ride or motocamping ride. I'll post some a few pics in a day or two. BTW, Rick really screwed up trying to get his RedVerz back into the bag the next morning, really very ugly. Fortunately the three of us were able to team up, awaiting for the video.

Don
    black 8 likes this.
  20. black 8

Oddometer:
    Don, same here... really appreciated the camaraderie even for just one and a half days of riding with the group...