SoCal Motography Adventures...(........)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by black 8, Jul 12, 2017.

1. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    we stopped for breakfast here in Beatty, NV... (stock photo) I forgot to snap a few pics...
    DSC_0840.jpg

after breakfast we visited Goldpoint ghost town... this was a neat place to visit with it's dilapidated buildings and this working Saloon...
    dv20.jpg

dv22.jpg

dv23.jpg
    Spank, plumer1kt, bobw and 2 others like this.
  2. black 8

Oddometer:
    the highlight of visiting Goldpoint was meeting Walt... the owner of the Goldpoint Saloon... he only accepts donations for the liquor he serves...

if you notice on his hip is a pistol and we asked him why he carried it and his reply went like this - The 1st Amendment is protected by the 2nd Amendment and the two go hand-in-hand... we all had a chuckle over his answer... thats when Walt invited us to test a shot of his homemade peach liquor that he said to be in the neighborhood of 30% alcohol and it was nice going down... Don manage to get a bottle of the stuff for future rides...
    dv30.jpg

inside the Saloon... there was a ton of memorabilia on the walls and ceiling... I recommend stopping here if you are ever out on adventure rides...
    dv26.jpg

dv27.jpg

dv28.jpg
    EMFL, plumer1kt, bobw and 3 others like this.
  3. black 8

Oddometer:
    after Goldpoint we continued onto the Alabama Hills in Lone Pine... the ride took us up two mountain passes and the KLR struggled at the higher elevation due to her carburetor... she was sucking hard to get air and fuel!
    dv31.jpg

dv32.jpg

this was at the backside of Westgard Pass where we stopped for a break... remember that seed that was planted by Rick? I made the decision to break contact with the group to head home early and surprise the wife... I felt guilty riding around after just getting back from Key West so I decided to end the ride with Rick, Bob, and Don... they encouraged me to at least ride out to Alabama Hills to see it before we departed ways... :thumb
    dv33.jpg

the Alabama Hills in Lone Pine... this is a great place to camp and see the stars I'm told... dv34.jpg
    MannyUrrego, EMFL, Spank and 5 others like this.
  4. black 8

Oddometer:
    I was surprised by the amount of people camped out here... some folks were here for rock climbing obviously...
    dv35.jpg

dv36.jpg

dv37.jpg

this is where I broke contact with the group and headed back home to spend some time with the wife... some shopping and out to lunch on Monday morning... THANKS FOR THE CAMARADERIE @rickj, @maldos, and Bob...
    dv38.jpg
    MannyUrrego, Spank, plumer1kt and 9 others like this.
  5. black 8

Oddometer:
    Soooo...... I couldn't just leave it there... after surprising the wife with some shopping and lunch on Monday morning... I wanted to show my appreciation for the group's hospitality during our brief ride to Death Valley... I knew they would be leaving for Alaska in a few months and I had some Marine Corps Challenge coins from Alaska that I had designed for my Unit in Anchorage... I still had a few left and decided to present each one of them an Alaska Marines Challenge Coin... I made contact with Rick and we selected a time and place to rally on their way down from Lone Pine... I rode out to meet them at a BK parking lot along the I-15 and presented each of them with this challenge coin... as is customary it has to be presented via a hearty handshake...

since the four of us each have one... custom and tradition dictates that if we ever meet in a bar... any member can challenge another by putting the coin on the bar... the member that CANNOT produce said coin buys the first round!!
    IMG_0416.jpg
    MannyUrrego, EMFL, Spank and 11 others like this.
  6. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way...

Oddometer:
    Looks like you get to take a bath right before you swing. How convenient.
    Loadtoad101 and black 8 like this.
  7. Zubb

Oddometer:
    And by the way, nice update Rudy. I always enjoy your posts. I fear DV is getting away from me again this year as the heat is almost here. I've had 2 short trips through there but never really got to set up camp and explore for a few days. There is so much to see. My first time was on the Ducati, going through at 120. That's both degrees and occasionally MPH. I'd planned to get gas at Furnace creek only to find out they were all closed up for the season - 'cause, what kind of nut would be in DV in July right? I planned to ride it until she was empty and then double up on my sons bike to find gas. I did manage to roll into a gas station under power but if I recall, she took 5.4+ gallons in her 5.5 gal tank.
    I'm setting up the new-to-me GSA and then moto-camping weekend of 4/21. Let me know if you want to join.
    Wierdrider and black 8 like this.
  8. black 8

Oddometer:
    Where are you thinking Kelly??

I leave the following Wed for Austin, TX on a family road trip to retrace my Key West route... We'll be hanging a family lock at the Prada fence on US 90 then visit family and come back on Route 66....
  9. Zubb

Oddometer:
    Theres 2 groups going out and I'm having to decide Either Potrero camp ground or Agua Claliente. I'll likely go for Agua. Friday afternoon through Sunday morning.
  10. black 8

Oddometer:
    I only see Potrero in the schedule and see you signed up for it... but no info on Agua Client...
  11. Zubb

Oddometer:
    PM sent.
  12. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Incredible ride report! I'm off to go read the Key West report now.

Eric
    black 8 likes this.
  13. black 8

Oddometer:
    ~ 15 April 2018

I spent most of the day yesterday wrenching on the bikes... the goose finally got washed from Key West along with fluid changes but she still needs a valve clearance check... the other bikes also got some loving' with some chain maintenance, tire pressure check, and a good once over...

the KLR got the chance to play in DV and I used Trinity to meet up with Rick, Bob, and Don on their way back from Lone Pine... so today Bella gets to run free... she's been sitting for while since my trip to Key West... I have been mulling it over for the past few days since my ride to DV... in my conversations with Don, he also owned several bikes at one time and finally decided on just one bike - his 2015 R1200 GSA... his comments struck me about registering, insuring, and paying for said bikes... I am at that point I think... Bella was adopted in 2015 and she's barely got 1,110 miles and rarely gets to play... we'll see what happens.. I may trade in two bikes for one to downsize the stable... in the meantime I'll spend some time with her just in case...
    Untitled.jpg

it's good to ride in my own stomping grounds again after being gone for so many weeks...
    7.jpg

7b.jpg

7c.jpg
    MannyUrrego, Spank, bobw and 7 others like this.
  14. black 8

Oddometer:
    this is the reason I love going this very route... once you make it past Carlsbad, the route goes along the coast for 7 miles...
    7d.jpg

7e.jpg

7g.jpg

7h.jpg
    MannyUrrego, Spank, Skooter and 5 others like this.
  15. kickstandsup

kickstandsup Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    LOL...mine is Sophia... :photog
    black 8 likes this.
  16. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    My Vespa I named Bella too :sweeti lol
    [​IMG]
    MannyUrrego and black 8 like this.
  17. black 8

Oddometer:
    one of the reasons I chose to retire in SoCal... where else can you go from riding on the coast then transition to some twisties and then the mountains...

I had forgotten the visceral thrill that comes from riding my Monster 1200S after coming off multiple weeks on an adventure bike... the forward lean, lack of a screen, and cockpit view gives the sense of almost flying...
    7j.jpg

7l.jpg

7k.jpg

7m.jpg
    Skooter, bobw, BigDogRaven and 3 others like this.
  18. black 8

Oddometer:
    7n.jpg

7o.jpg

7p.jpg

all good things must come to an end and time to go home for the day... saving some fun for another day... cheers...
    7r.jpg
  19. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've only been to Death Valley once. I rode there back in the late 80s when I lived in San Diego. Every time I see one of these ride reports it reminds me that I want to go back. 102 degrees in mid April:eek7 I guess I'll need to go during the winter.

As I posted in one of your other ride reports, you are lucky to live so close to so many cool (or in this case hot:D) places to ride.
    black 8, sealsam and Wierdrider like this.
  20. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rudy,

So much good stuff near you, your days rides are very enviable!

If you haven't already, just south of Escondido is Highland Valley Rd, kinda a cool little remote way in & out of Ramona. 78 between Ramona & San Ysabel is always a goody. Great pie in SY at Julian Pie Co's 'other' store. Just north of San Ysabel is a wonderful little loop of Mesa Grande Rd, maybe 10-12 miles, but nice.

Mt. Palomar I'm sure you know quite well. The loop east of Lake Henshaw, 79-S2-S22, then down to Borrego, one of our best roads around!

If ya happen to be on 76, just east of Rincon, near the Brother's Nursery(18436 HWY 76), give a wave to the American Flag myself & some buddies hung there. The back story is I've been riding the area for many years, would pass this raggedy U.S. flag hanging near their mailbox. I stopped with all my bikes and have a pic with that flag over the years. On a ride out there, nearly two summers ago, it occurred to me to bring a new flag for the occasion. The wife and I just went buy it two weeks ago, it's looking pretty bad, time for me to bring a replacement.

Simbaboy(silver burg)waving, my Majesty. Out of pic, villageidiot was there too. [​IMG]

My apologies for clogging up such a wonderful thread,

All the best Rudy!