SoCal Motography Adventures...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by black 8, Jul 12, 2017.

1. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    Our meetup for today's ride was at the Chevron Station in Gelson's Shopping Center at 8:30am right off CA-74... I left Oceanside right at 7:30 this morning so I could be there 15 minutes early and to my surprise Sam and Colby were already there waiting for me... A couple of fist bumps later and we were jaw-jacking for about 15 to 20 minutes. We talked about our bikes, future plans, missed ride opportunities at Utah with Imu, Toroweap Overlook, the Honda Cud, and such before we headed east on Ortega Hwy...

the morning was pretty much overcast... it stayed that way until we got over the other side of Ortega Hwy...
    65.jpg

Colby would set the pace pretty much for the entire ride...
    66.jpg

67.jpg

68.jpg
    Manny U, Skooter, MYUMPH and 10 others like this.
  2. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry for bein such a slow poke Rudy! Fat guy on a little cub gave it all he could.
    Honda-50, Manny U, MYUMPH and 5 others like this.
  3. black 8

Oddometer:
    throughout our ride, a lot of bikers were coming from the Lake Elsinore side of Ortega Hwy... that pic pretty much sums up why... the Lookout Road House was jam packed this morning with all sorts of bikes...

69.jpg

70.jpg

Once we got on De Luz, we pulled off the road for a snack that Colby had brought for us... PB&J specials that Colby bought near his house... damned if that wasn't the best PB&J I've had in a while... something to do with the bread, usually when I make my PB&J the bread almost always falls apart or tears... whatever it was it was that good... We did some more jaw-jacking while downing that sammich... :dukegirl

Thanks Colby and Sam...

71.jpeg

After our snack break, we were off again on De Luz Rd headed to Fallbrook for some gas... De Luz is a fun road with a small bike... much more so since you don't have to wrestle with a heavier bike... you can just flick the lighter bike into the corners and enjoy the ride... :ricky

Once in Fallbrook, we pulled over for some gas and that's where we'd part our ways but not until another fist bump and a thanks for the invite. Sam asked where I was headed next and I said east towards Palomar Mountain since I had the XT with me. I wanted to get some off-road in and to see if the XT needed anymore wrenching done after running her through the CABDR...
    Wierdrider, Manny U, Skooter and 11 others like this.
  4. black 8

Oddometer:
    No worries Colby, my crotch rocket days are far behind me.

I'm diggin' smaller bikes these days and don't have a need to go faster than a hustle around the corners, I only caught up to you going uphill - other than that you were hustlin' that Cub pretty good...
    MYUMPH, klaviator, sealsam and 4 others like this.
  5. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That Super Cub sure does look good!
    Manny U, MYUMPH, klaviator and 4 others like this.
  6. villageidiot

Oddometer:
  7. black 8

Oddometer:
    MYUMPH, klaviator, Chillis and 2 others like this.
  8. black 8

Oddometer:
    After breaking contact with Sam and Colby, I headed east on CA-76 towards Mesa Grande for some light off road...

72.jpeg

73.jpeg

74.jpeg

75.jpeg
    Norty01, Wierdrider, Manny U and 14 others like this.
  9. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    We have an 85° bakery here too, they don’t hold a candle to cream pan as far as the pastries/breads/sammiches go. Wifey loves their cakes though.
  10. black 8

Oddometer:
    d@mn!

it figures... just gives me another reason to come visit Sam at his place and go to Cream Pan...
    MYUMPH, Chillis, sealsam and 2 others like this.
  11. black 8

Oddometer:
    76.jpeg

absolutely love wide open spaces... I'm in my happy place... :ricky
    77.jpeg

78.jpeg

I saw a lot of these at most of the trails heads, even on Ortega Hwy... all sorts of people breaking out from lockdown to enjoy the outdoors...
    79.jpeg
    Norty01, Wierdrider, Manny U and 12 others like this.
  12. black 8

Oddometer:
    I hope his landing went OK...

80.jpeg

81.jpeg

82.jpeg

83.jpeg
    Manny U, B10Dave, MYUMPH and 6 others like this.
  13. black 8

Oddometer:
    Forest Road 12S07 is my goto trail riding spot... it's close enough for me to access easily in Ramona... but so did other riders and overlanders this weekend... :fpalm if I hadn't stopped to snapped this pic of the stream I would have probably ran into several riders coming from the other side of FR12S07... I must have come across a half a dozen riders and a couple of jeeps making their way east... I was determined to get an off-road ride in - albeit slow since I didn't know what was coming from the other side of that blind corner...

84.jpeg

85.jpeg

86.jpeg

87.jpeg

Even after I exited the trail, there were more jeep convoys making their way to the trail head... time for me to head home since more and more people are out and about getting some much needed vitamin D...

cheers for now...
    :beer
    Norty01, Wierdrider, Manny U and 14 others like this.
  14. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks Supporter

Oddometer:
    That was a nice loop you took. Still waiting for you to take the South Main Divide from 74 , mostly paved fire road.
    OK, I just re traced my ride and turns out the last section was called Los Alamos truck trail, all good!
  15. black 8

Oddometer:
    I've already got the route created on my garmin gps... I'm just waiting for state to give the all clear so I don't get hassled by the park popo since it skirts and mingles in with the Cleveland National Forest...

We were talking about ya' today Steve and riding around Borrego Springs...

1.jpg
    Norty01, Manny U, B10Dave and 8 others like this.
  16. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sure wanna thank you Rudy for lowering your standards and hanging with us for a few hours. :D

I was freakin' laughing all day following that Circus Bear riding that mini-bike, but what a quite worthy machine to pull big Colby around!

Colby and Rudy putting together a game plan(or just stuck on The Ortega for road construction),

[​IMG]

Finger lickin' good PB & J's, as Rudy said, thank you Colby!

[​IMG]

Got a few other pics that I'll park in the sealsam thread,

Thanks again my friend for meeting up yesterday, hope to follow you around that dirt outside of Ramona(weekdays only!),

Most importantly Rudy, I failed yesterday to personally thank you for 30 years of service to our country.

Your sacrifice & efforts have afforded me the freedom to go out and do silly stuff like this with a couple of awesome individuals!

Thanks Rudy!!
    Bors, Wierdrider, Manny U and 12 others like this.
  17. eaglescan

Oddometer:
    Regarding South Main Divide route.
    I forgot about the closure still on some things. It is not a big adventure, I just remember it seeming remote as you go along. I had not map, GPS to track back if needed. There were lots of elevation changes, and I never want a break down in the gullies! My Beemer has had a few issues over the years. Got 94000 km on it now.
    black 8, sealsam and Chillis like this.
  18. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was checking that Forest Rd 12s07, looks like you may have access from/to Pamo Rd.

Looks like a nice diversion on the CRF-L next time to Borrego.
  19. eaglescan

Oddometer:
    Yes , Pamo is where I enter, but there is a gate. Might call BLM office for status. Headquarters in Ramona is on Magnolia ave / Black Canyon rd.
    phone 760 788 0250
    sealsam, Chillis and black 8 like this.
  20. black 8

Oddometer:
    Most riders and overlanders enter from the west side at Pamo Road... once you reach the shelf at the intersection of FR12S07 and Black Mountain Truck Trail it's pretty much downhill from there until you reach the gravel at Black Canyon Road...