SoCal Motography Adventures...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by black 8, Jul 12, 2017.

1. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Got it, thanks for the info Steve & Rudy!

Either of you guys old school map folk like me, or pretty much all GPS nowadays?
    eaglescan, black 8 and Chillis like this.
  2. Manny U

Manny U Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:

So Rudy, what was the verdict of the XT? How was she holding up after the CABDR adventure?:confused

Glad to see you out and about, not just grocery getting anymore! :lol3
    black 8 and Chillis like this.
  3. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    I do both Sam...

I look up places of interest on google and then plot them on Garmin Basecamps for import into my Montana 650. I have paper maps from both Butler and Benchmark that I bring with me on the road so I can research POIs and routes on the fly...

My Garmin Montana has 24K Topography maps on three separate micro SD cards of the West (CA, NV, OR, WA), Southwest (AZ, UT, CO, NM), Mountain North (ID, MT, WY) and the 24K level of detail allows then to be off-road routable vs. the standard 100K. I just swap out the cards whenever I cross those regions...
  4. black 8

Oddometer:
    Hey Manny... the XT is back up!

The head gasket on the XT is weeping a little and will need to be changed sometime down the road but for now I'm planning local trail explorations around SoCal and the deserts before it gets too hot... I'm just glad that California is slowly starting to ease restriction and many Californians are getting out more and more for outdoor activities...

Now that beaches are open here in CA, the powers that be needs to open up the state and national parks...

:beer

5. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maps first for me. I have been lucky to stay in different parts of the Western states on our snowbird routes. So where ever I am based, look at Atlas map , then go on google maps for more detail. I often write down on paper my route, and draw a rough map too.
    I find the drawing sticks in my head the day of the ride, and I fumble around out there on the trails!
    Now right off the beginning of off road adventures, and alone, I got LOST in the forest more than once. Soon after I bought a starter GPS ( Garmin E trex ) and it has the track back feature.I use that on ALL new trips and have better peace of mind.
    On one of our rides in the Anza desert, we were lost looking for the Pumpkin patch. We had the ranger map of the area, but that sand all looks the same. One of my mates had a GPS and knew how to use it. He got co ordinates and looked at the map and pointed east.
    I think my advise would be , ride with Rudy!
  6. Wierdrider

Wierdrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    eaglescan, Chillis and black 8 like this.
  7. black 8

Oddometer:
    ~ 22 May 2020

SoCal Tag-O-Rama and some fun... :ricky

Did a big ole' SoCal loop to hit a SoCal tag. I took the Hwy at first so I wouldn't get Bruce'd and then did some off-road testing with Baby G...
    1.jpg

The tag was Kwaaymii Point on Sunrise highway... I had an awesome day riding after I got the tag... and what follows is what I saw...
    2.jpeg

3.JPG

4.jpeg
    Norty01, Manny U, B10Dave and 14 others like this.
  8. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Those mountains look beautiful. Is that normal? The green.

How did the little G do?
    Manny U, sealsam, MYUMPH and 5 others like this.
  9. black 8

Oddometer:
  10. black 8

Oddometer:
    For now until the heat comes on and turns everything brown...

I used a circular polarizer with the DSLR... since light bounces off everything, the CPL helps to cut down the glare and allows the true color to come out... sorta' like sunglasses for your camera...

check out the glare on the plant leaves on the left vs. CPL usage on the right...
    maxresdefault.jpg

As for Baby G... I'm lovin' the way she handles on the road... even though she's only a 310... however, off-road is another story... I felt more comfortable on the XT than Baby G... she's kinda cramp. I may have to get higher bar risers cuz' I'm hunched over instead of standing straight up. I need wider pegs as well...

The Kriega bags are filled with my Alaska load out and both Rotopax are also full so I can see how she handled off road. I bottomed out the shock on a big woop and need to adjust the preload one more up (or two)... I can definitely feel the difference between the 19" vs 21" front wheel...

Overall happy with Baby G... I was getting 55 mpg fully loaded going 65 mph... if I drop down to 55 mph I was still getting 58-63 mpg... :ricky
    BrockEvan, Manny U, B10Dave and 9 others like this.
  11. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pretty cool Rudy! Looks like you didnt waist any time dialing er in. Looks good!!
    sealsam, MYUMPH, Chillis and 2 others like this.
  12. Wierdrider

Wierdrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice route Rudy.
    sealsam, MYUMPH, eaglescan and 3 others like this.
  13. black 8

Oddometer:
  14. black 8

Oddometer:
    Gettin' there Eric... now comes the testing phase...
  15. black 8

Oddometer:
    You're the one that picked the last tag so you had a hand in making my route fro me... :thumb

I still have to pick the next tag location.. looks like I'll be going out again tomorrow.
    Manny U, Wierdrider, sealsam and 3 others like this.
  16. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    9of my closest friends and I will be devouring all of those roads tomorrow. Hope to cross paths with you. Will be on old Julian, wynola rd, engineers, sunrise, to I8. Will do a group picnic lunch somewhere along Sunrise. Leaving BMW at 9:30. will keep my eye out for you. You know me .... bright amber aux lights from the front.
  17. black 8

Oddometer:
    by the time I hit FR12S07 it was about 12:45... I thought about trying to make it up to the top of Black Mountain Truck Trail but it was getting hot soooo... it was time to head to the coast for cooler weather...

13.JPG

14.JPG

15.JPG

16.JPG

it was an awesome day of riding today with much needed moto therapy...

:beer
    Manny U, B10Dave, SoPaRider and 12 others like this.
  18. black 8

Oddometer:
    Kelly... I'll hang with you guys for a while, but then I have to break off to set the next tag location...
  19. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great pics.

Measured the difference in wheel diameters?

Curious if the front now rides high and speedo/odo read low?
    black 8 likes this.
  20. KICKNBACK

KICKNBACK Old enough to know better young enough not to care

Oddometer:
    I’m hoping to get out of here early too but heading to Pisgah crater before it becomes triple digits next week.