SoCal Motography Adventures...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by black 8, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did a quick rip down to SoCal today and on the way back I stopped by the crater. What can you do there?

Crappy pic as I was well past it.

IMG_20200522_144952.jpg
  2. KICKNBACK

KICKNBACK Old enough to know better young enough not to care

Oddometer:
    There are lots of lava tubes in the crater might be too late and full of snakes already
  3. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    I did't measure the wheel diameter but that's pretty easy to do in the near future... the Rally Raid set-up is for SoCal and off-road use.

For longer treks I'll be swapping the cast wheels back so I can just plug and go for tire flats...
    Manny U, Chillis, eaglescan and 2 others like this.
  4. black 8

Oddometer:
    Nice... I've never heard of Pisgah Crater might have to check it out one day.

I sent an e-mail to BLM and they confirmed the Alabama Hills are open again but Not the campgrounds... I’ve been wanting to make it out there for photos of the snow capped Sierra Nevadas but temps are getting up there as well...

"Some dispersed areas, and all of our developed campgrounds, are closed to visitor due to the coronavirus outbreak. The Alabama Hills are open.

BLM is working with local, state, and federal partners and will use a phased approach to expand access to closed areas in California on a case-by-case basis. The safety of visitors to public lands remains our top priority. Some areas remain temporarily closed and we encourage visitors to please check the BLM California webpage to determine operating status and current conditions before planning their visit at https://www.blm.gov/site-pa…/blm-california-covid-19-updates"
    Chillis, MYUMPH, KICKNBACK and 3 others like this.
  5. black 8

Oddometer:
    ~ 23 May 2020

Group ride and SoCal Tag placement...

a wonderful SoCal loop that started down in San Diego BMW Motorcycle... making its way through Wildcat Canyon Rd by Lakeside and E Old Julian Hwy in Ramona...
    1.jpg

will post the map when the tag is grabbed...
    Manny U, B10Dave, sealsam and 5 others like this.
  6. black 8

Oddometer:
    meet-up down in San Diego with Kelly aka Zubb (wearing the blue baseball cap) organizing today's ride... everyone was being responsible to socially distance for the ride...
    DSC02290.JPG

I broke contact after our break in Santa Ysabel so I could place the new tag location...
    DSC02293.jpeg

new tag location... it's gonna get twisty getting to this location...
    DSC02296.JPG

this place was packed with shoppers and riders all over the place... even after I left, more riders were making their way here... who can blame them on a gorgeous Memorial Day weekend like today... DSC02297.jpeg

a quick 5.5 hour loop to get the Duc out for some exercise and get the juices flowing...

thanks for today's ride Kelly (@Zubb)... Wildcat Canyon Rd and E Old Julian Hwy was fun... :thumb

:beer
    Manny U, B10Dave, Skooter and 11 others like this.
  7. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    great seeing you and the beast today. Such a badass looking Enduro. We need a campfire and some IPA’s to get caught up over.
    Manny U, Wierdrider, black 8 and 6 others like this.
  8. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ahhh... we sure liked Idyllwild! So glad we made it up to that whole area when we did years ago. We sat at the outdoor restaurant area, ate and listened to tunes. Coulda stayed all night! One of these days we'll go back. Thanks for the memory Rudy :beer
    sealsam, Manny U, Wierdrider and 4 others like this.
  9. black 8

Oddometer:
    It would be nice if the state parks open up so we could get some camping in...

I was looking into camping out at Panamint Springs next week and riding out to the Alabama Hills but the temps are in the triple digits... no bueno
    sealsam, MYUMPH, Wierdrider and 3 others like this.
  10. black 8

Oddometer:
    It sure was fun getting up there...

Everybody in their motha was up there celebrating Memorial Day weekend... restaurants were open, there was an open air art exibit/sale, a bunch of hikers out and about...
  11. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I used to love riding to Idyllwild, not just because it was a cool little town but because all the roads in the area were so great. I never took any pics of it:( I wonder how much it has changed over the last 30 years.
    sealsam, Wierdrider, black 8 and 2 others like this.
  12. black 8

Oddometer:
    I was undecided where to place the tag... I had selected one place but changed my mind mid-stride and decided on Idyllwild just for that exact reason; the winding rounds... :ricky Whomever gets that tag will certainly have fun riding the great roads up there...

I was kinda' hurried placing the new tag that I hardly took motographs... I'll have to make my way up there again so I can document the ride...
    sealsam, Zubb, Chillis and 3 others like this.
  13. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ha! I woulda made them go down 74 West from Mountain center! Lol! Love that road!
    sealsam, Zubb, black 8 and 1 other person like this.
  14. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What is a tag? Asking for a friend........:)
  15. black 8

Oddometer:
    "#1. THE TAG IS THE OBJECT BEHIND THE BIKE." <<<

A riding game in the Southern California Tag-O-Rama... The rules are in the link above.

It's a pastime when I feel like going after a tag and I get to take motographs along the way... win-win...
  16. black 8

Oddometer:
    Hey Eric... I'm going back up there this coming week with the Monkey... I had to plan a route using backroads to get up to Idyllwild...

Untitled.jpg
  17. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    thanks.....
    sealsam, black 8 and Chillis like this.
  18. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rudy I've crisscrossed many of those roads south of Lake Hemet, it's been many many years, not even sure they're accessible any more.

I don't remember them being terribly bad, some decent rock sections comes to mind. It's been quite a while though, we used to stay in the PS area and I'd haul out my '86 XL, fun times!

[​IMG]

Colby knows this spot(when I sold it to Mach 1),

[​IMG]

Sure looking forward to seeing what you find!
    Norty01, MYUMPH, klaviator and 4 others like this.
  19. black 8

Oddometer:

Thanks Sam... I'm looking at the trailhead right now in google street view...

9.jpg

B10Dave, Manny U, MYUMPH and 2 others like this.
  20. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like the Bautista Rd. from east Hemet ( Fairfax rd ) to Anza. About 20 miles of gravel and views.
    You can get to Thomas Mtn. from there . FR 6S16
    I also checked out the trail to Reed Valley FR 7S04, got to the end of trail and found a gate! It had cable around it , but was not locked that time. Good thing too, not sure I could have returned same way, some steep terrain. I remember thinking at the top of one hill, hope I don,t have to come back. I think I maybe could have dragged my bike under the gate.
    black 8 and Chillis like this.