SoCal Motography Adventures...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by black 8, Jul 12, 2017.

1. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    Yup... I did see the lite... :lol3
  2. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    my moto camp kit consists of

tent, pad, bag, jetboil, dishes

the rest is usual day pack stuff, water, first aid kit, etc.

flip flops, socks and underwear, and a shirt. the rest is gear.

i had a 60l duffle that i could camp out of almost indefinitely. i usually stop for food once a day and carry oatmeal for breakfast.
  3. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    I used to bring extra food and personal items stuff but now I just bring enough and resupply travel items at Wally World... it saves me space and less weight to deal with.
  4. Skooter

Skooter moto-slowpoke

Oddometer:
    Shock the Monkey!!!

Wow. Just wow. I'm lookin' for the quadruple "like" button but there isnt one. Gotta be some of the most breathtaking scenery there is.
    Wife leaves the TV on INSP every Sat and Sun evenings for some reason, they broadcast the old westerns and upon googling, invariably find the filming locations all seem to be Lone Pine, Alabama Hills, CA. Gotta go sometime. :-):-):-)
  5. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    I just got back today and I'll need time to go through all the photos I took. Hopefully I can start the RR by tomorrow evening if not the next day. I'm spending some time with the family even though we are social distancing at the moment just to be on the safe side...

More to follow soon...

Manny U, sealsam, MYUMPH and 10 others like this.
  6. Wierdrider

Wierdrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well done Rudy, bring on the " real " photos.

PS. I still need to learn about lite Moto camping
    C74809AF-54FA-475C-9615-83D572897EE9.jpeg 21C66374-F9B2-4807-A97C-C86C91B5E5CC.jpeg
  7. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    My BMW dealer called while I was in Lone Pine that my plates and registration had come in... I told them to hold it and I would pick it up on Tuesday - so off I went on Baby G...

While I was there I test rode a C 650 GT maxi-scooter just to try one... "well this should be easy" I said to myself "just twist and go..."

I was like a fish out of water once I took off; "nope, my feet don't go there" and "nope, the left lever is not a clutch - it's a brake..." it took me a while but I got used to applying brake/brake...

It's a comfortable scooter with plenty of power for cruising on the highway but when I pulled into a parking lot, it was a different story... doing U turns, figure eights, and tight circles... it wasn't what I was looking for... at least I now have a baseline to compare...
    1.JPG

2.JPG
  8. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    come ride my vespa after i get it all dialed in (this weekend hopefully), thatll give ya the vespa baseline.
  9. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Colby... I might have to take you up on that if Moto Forza says otherwise... I'll give them a go first since I've bought a few bikes from them in the past...
  10. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Keep in mind Rudy that big maxi scooters like that BMW weigh as much if not more than a GSA. A smaller scooter like a Vespa is a whole different experience.
  11. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    Monkeying around Southern California (post ride report...)

~ 4 June 2020

It had been 11 weeks today since the "stay at home order" was issued and the virus curve had been flattened well enough that things started opening back up... I had been in contact with BLM regularly by e-mail and on June 1st I sent another inquiry about dispersed camping and Tutle Creek Campground availability at the Alabama Hills... BLM confirmed that both were now in fact open. That's all she wrote and I started packing my gear and getting the Monkey ready for the trip. I had originally planned on doing the Southern CABDR with the Monkey until the pandemic hit. Even now as I write this, Death Valley remains closed off to visitors where Sections 4, 5, and 6 are located... that and the temps are well above the triple digits...

Since I couldn't access Death Valley, I came up with an alternate plan to go along the Pacific Coast for a motography adventure up to Monterey then cut across and spend a coupe of days motographing the Alabama Hills...

I was expecting sunny weather in the mid-70s when I looked the weather forecast but instead I got the June gloom that the California coast is notorious for...

1.jpg

I took off just before sunrise since google was projecting almost 10 hours to San Luis Obispo where I would camp for the evening for $10.00 per night... The ride started out damp with mist building up on the shield of my helmet and turning into droplets. I didn't take any photos going through LA because of the weather and I just wanted to make it through that mess. I was hoping the marine layer would lift by mid-morning but instead I got tiny slivers of sunshine during my ride...

Topanga Canyon Lookout towards Canoga Park and Reseda... it sure was fun getting up there but much better going downhill on the twisties... :ricky
    2.jpg

all socked in fog...
    3.jpeg

same thing looking towards the PCH...
    4.jpg
  12. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    Topanga Canyon Blvd dumps you into picturesque Malibu where you have 21 Miles of scenic beauty... but not today...

5.jpeg

6.jpg

The Monkey fully loaded: the 12L dry bag holds my Kelty Salida 1 man tent, tarp, bike cover, and inflatable sleeping pad... the smaller 8L bag holds my tripod and 1L fuel bottle... the rest of my gear is loaded on my Klim Arsenal vest... my DSLR is in the tank bag for easy access...
    7a.jpg

Point Dume... <<< socked in fog...
    8.jpg
  13. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    more of the persistent marine layer...
    9.jpg

I figured if I couldn't get better weather, I would make the most of it by taking B&W photos... I switched my circular polarizer to a red filter to get that high contrast effect...

Point Mugu... <<<

10.jpg

along my route by mid-afternoon I noticed school aged kids walking and thought to myself school had just let out but I was wrong when I saw the protest signs they were holding... (just a normal monochrome photo.. no red filter used)
    11.jpg

12.jpg

the remainder of the ride would be the same; June gloom all the way... so instead I just savored riding the Monkey along the coast. I rather enjoyed going between 45 and 55 mph... every once in a while I would do a head check to see the traffic behind me and if I held up traffic, I just pulled to the side to let them pass and off I went to enjoy the rest of my ride... :ricky "Andiamo little Monkey..."
  14. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    I pulled into Camp San Luis Obispo where I would stay for the next couple of days for $10.00 per night so I can explore further up the PCH. The rest of my day was spent getting the tent set-up and getting my camping gear laid out. After rigging the Monkey for just the extra fuel and tripod, I found the nearest McDonalds for some cheap burgers and bum off their wifi...

13.jpg

The Monkey rigged for exploring...
    14.jpeg

After dinner I just got my evening routing done and called it an early night since fires were not allowed at the camp site... as I lay in my tent I was hoping for better weather for tomorrow... (NOT)...

BTW, it cost me less than $6.00 from Oceanside to SLO... my meal at McDonalds was almost just as much...

:beer
  15. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    I figured the long wheelbase and weight of the 650 GT was a factor... but that thing can cruuiissee....... I asked my salesman if I can take it for 20 minutes and he said "you can take it longer..."

I took it on Kearney Villa Rd (local road) and I was just keeping up with traffic... I happen to look down at the speedo and I was doing 70 mph and the thing wasn't even complaining... the local speed was 55 on that road but does go to 65 mph further down... so I backed off...

16. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That XMAX 300 I had was a go anywhere bike.

When I delivered it to an inmate in LA I rode it on the 15 from Vegas and much of the time was able to pass traffic.

600+ mile days on it and it was nimble, comfortable, and you could smoke many folks in the twisties.

Amazing pics and this trip sure looks awesome. I know the weather has been wild lately but still better to be able to get out, especially on the Monkey.

With decent weather, I would not hesitate to ride through Death Valley, Mojave Preserve, and work back towards the coast.
  17. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    I saw one a few months back while I was in the car with the wife.. we were both wondering what it was and when I finally caught up at the stoplight, it was an XMAX... I liked the profile on that scooter...

I'm just glad that we can get out again without getting hassled and that services are starting to open back up.

I don't know what's going on with all this wind, even today when I took Baby G, the wind was blowing on the 15... :dunno
  18. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    Great stuff here Rudy!
  19. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    Still sorting through the keepers...
  20. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good start for the trip. I am wondering if you will post a map of the leg to Lone Pine.
    I was in Bakersfield for a few days and rode East and North, so wonder if you went that way? I took Bena rd to Caliente Bodfish rd. and I see it comes back out to the
    178 which would get you to the 395.