1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

SoCal Motography Adventures...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by black 8, Jul 12, 2017.

1. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh my, just lovely! Our 'big' trip for 2020 was to be the California coast, all the way to Washington, in the camper van with a bike in tow. Pushed back 'till next year now but your Motography is really stoking the flame!
  2. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    C'mon out...

One of these days I will have to continue the trip where I left off in Monterey. I've had the urge for the longest time to visit Eureka and Crescent City, CA for the Redwoods National and State Parks, and explore the Oregon coastline up to Pikes Place Market in Seattle...
  3. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Honda should use this pic for their Monkey Bike advertising!

[​IMG]
  4. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Everyone online raves about the Monkey's seat. Now that I know more, I wish Honda had taken the same approach with the Grom and tossed the passenger pegs removing any premise of it being a 2 seater and made it a single seater as well with this seat and a means to move around shifting weight.

Btw, the Monkey is not sold in Canada so it's not like I could choose.
  5. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Win, I'll look back at these photos someday and recall my ear to ear grin during the trip...
  6. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    Until you sit on one, you don't know what you're missin'...
  7. RedDogAlberta

Oddometer:
    Oh I believe you. It seems to be a universal view. I'm playing around with my Air Hawk seat pad looking for a middle ground.
  8. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The CDC has just identified a new virus: CoMonkeyBike 20. It has sent out a warning that reading this ride report may put you into danger for catching this Virus.

You have been warned!!
  9. RedDogAlberta

Oddometer:
    I've had a stupid teenager grin every block I've ridden the Grom. Who knew these things could be so much fun? I'm not getting any younger and it's 350 lbs lighter than the Roadster.

I'm disabled and use a walker for more than a couple blocks. Imagine walking the Roadster out of a car wash bay dripping wet 50 yards to a place to dry and polish when you can't feel your feet or lower legs. I broke my collar bone last May walking it out of my carport at zero mph. It was running and I had my jacket and helmet on. The entire riding year was lost.
  10. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    :lol3
    Wierdrider, The Virginian and Chillis like this.
  11. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about your accident and a year's worth of lost riding... That's one of the reasons why I am slowly gravitating towards lighter bikes.

In the coming years, I'll transition my heavier bikes to more lighter bikes and/or a Ural...
  12. staticPort

Oddometer:
    Stopped by the local Honda emporium on my afternoon ramble;
    upload_2020-6-10_18-18-48.jpeg
    Encountered this little beauty--the seat is really great!
    Back in 1969 I had a blue and white Z50 for a bit, before going power crazy and trading it for a Trail 90. It was my first Honda and one day . . .
  13. RedDogAlberta

Oddometer:
    Then 42 years of riding without a single mishap and I break my collarbone WALKING the Sportster at ZERO mph. It was a long winter thinking of reality, my mortality, trying to be realistic, being honest with myself, etc. The truth is, I'm not going to be riding any more from Alberta to Florida just matter of factly - or have the bike to do it on with confidence. The issue isn't riding (thankfully), it the walking, parking, maneuvering, servicing, etc. All at zero speed with my foot balance.
  14. staticPort

Oddometer:
    Improvise, adapt, overcome -- sounds like you've got it covered, Red Dog
  15. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If I end up getting one, definitely blue.

@staticPort let us know how it rides on your way home!

:lol2
  16. RedDogAlberta

Oddometer:
    Indeed. I had a lot of time to think through the winter. I was not going to casually ride down to my beloved southern Utah anymore and savour any desert worship that would need a truck or trailer.

The Roadster is going to have to go, as much as I love the brute.

People have done the TAT on Groms. :)
    Wierdrider, black 8, Chillis and 2 others like this.
  17. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    ~ 6 June 2020

The purpose for this adventure primarily was to visit the Alabama Hills. I just happen to take the long way around by taking the back roads to my destination. It wasn't like I could ride to Lone Pine via I-215 and I-15 up the Cajon Pass. No way the Monkey could make that hill climb... :hmmmmm more on that later...

Anywho, I woke up early again and I wanted to break camp by 8 am to get on the road. The day turned out to be sunny and it figures now that I was leaving for Lone Pine. My route today would go over the mountains on CA-41 down to Bakersfield and climb up to Lake Isabella to merge with US-395 and up to the Alabama Hills in Lone Pine...

1.jpg

climbing up CA-41 was on a twisty single lane highway... :ricky
    2.jpg

the entire route was lined with ranches and vineyards... at the very top of CA-41 is nothing but dull brown grasslands seen in the distance...
    3.jpg

4.jpg

18. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    Before I turned onto CA-41, I filled my 1.47 gal tank to the brim in anticipation of the hill climb taking a toll on my gas consumption, that and I didn't know what to expect. As I progressed in my route, my gas mileage "sucked" and to make matters worse I did not encounter another gas station up to this point. After dropping down the backside of CA-41, it dumped me onto CA-46... but when you see nothing but flat grasslands your minds starts to play the what if game as the miles continue to pile on and you don't see signs for the next town or service station...

I was $h!tt!ng bricks at this point when the fuel indicator reached one bar...
    5.jpeg

I was glad to make it to Blackwells Corner for some much needed gas...
    6.jpg

after making it through Bakersfield, I filled up my tank one more time in anticipation of the unknown... the hill climb up CA-178 to Lake Isabella up ahead...
    7.jpg

I was rewarded with a twisty canyon ride headed up to Lake Isabella... :ricky
    8.jpeg
  19. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    9.jpeg

DSLR with a circular polarizer captured scene...
    10.jpeg

iPhone captured scene for comparison above... notice the glare on the plant leaves making them less vibrant along with the lighter blue sky...
    11.jpeg

dropping down the backside of CA-178 and into the US-395 corridor...
    12.jpg
  20. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I thought for sure you'd go up Sherman Pass and 9 Mile Canyon down to 395.

Where you got into 395 was two lane, right?

Slow bikes and two lane scare me!