SoCal Motography Adventures...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by black 8, Jul 12, 2017.

1. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    While running this particular section of the CABDR, I was reminded of how long it would take me to complete Section 7... it was a fairly easy ride across mostly soft sand and rock strewn trails, nothing too technical and it was getting late in the after. I made the decision to head back after reaching Big Pine...

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpeg

20.jpg
  2. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    After making it back to Lone Pine I decided to make a resupply run and have a late lunch at Micky D's... then once back in camp I organized my gear for tomorrow's departure back to Oceanside and try my hand at some night motography...

Nightmare Rock...
    21.jpg

It was pitch black at first with only my campfire for ambient light until the moon rose... to my surprise some of my fellow campers started howling at the moon so I decided to join in the festivities; oww oww aahhooooooo - oww oww aahhooooooo...

22.jpg

that full moon lit up the desert floor and I was able to take some long exposure motographs...

23.jpg

24.jpg

It was getting late after some night motography so I drowned the last of my campfire and called it a night...

:beer
  3. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    ~ 8 June 2020

The ride home...

I didn't take any photos today as it would just be riding home. My route was already pre-determined and built into my Garmin, all I had to do was follow the prompts...

1.jpg

But as my ride progressed down US-395 a thought popped in my head... could I ride the Monkey down Cajon Pass on I-15?

I kept going back and forth in my head the merits of getting home faster and how it would be all sorts of wrong taking the Monkey on the Interstate... I had a tailwind pushing the Monkey on this day so I said to myself I'll make that call once I reach Adelanto, which was my turn off to CA-18 and down CA-138 into Riverside...

Well... Adelanto came up fast and it was either sh!t or get off the pot... Screw it, you only live once... down Cajon pass it was...

I took the last possible exit to get on the I-15 at the summit... at first it was slow going at 55 mph since there was a slight incline... all sorts of cars were zipping by me at 70+ mph but I just stayed in the slow lane with the semi-trucks... I was urging the Monkey "c'mon Monkey, c'mon..."

Once I broke that crest, the Monkey said "wooo hooo" and we were going down hill at 66 mph... most of the semis were limited to 45 mph down hill so I was passing them left and right... I was laughing the whole entire time wishing I had my GoPro to record some footage... I thought about stopping to take a photo but merging back in would be a problem...

I was expecting the usual slow down near the bottom of Cajon Pass and sure enough traffic slowed to about 20-25 mph where the Monkey easily split lanes all the way to the I-15/215 split. I ended up taking I-215 all the way to Riverside... I never knew it was all downhill until I rode the Monkey down... you hardly pay attention to that stuff in a car but you kinda' notice the changes in the elevation riding a Monkey...

Foolhardy... definitely, but you only live once... even writing this passage I was chuckling on and off... :lol3

my Spot X tracks....
    Spot.jpg

My first adventure with the Monkey down in the books...

4. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    It's very cool when I see photos of the harbour front at Morro Bay and spot a joint I've had breakfast at on two different trips. I always seem to stay at Cambria though. I suppose I came to know it over time and found a comfort zone there. If younger today, I could live and work in SLO.
  5. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    I look at these adventures as scouting trips that I'll later come back to and enjoy with the family...
  6. The Virginian

The Virginian YouTube n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ordered! I didn't want to interrupt your RR anymore than I already had. Just thinking through where to stow it on my puny bikes.
    YOLO... a motto that I have come to embrace. Your emotions mirror my own when I'm traveling on a small bike.

I have to say your quality photography, choice of rides, destinations and excellent narrative inspire me personally to step up my game. We all hope you continue your travels and share with us.

Well done sir.

Eric
  7. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ya got bigger "Cajon's" than I do, it's scary enough flyin down that pass in a vehicle goin 85 with Mr. Nascar on your ass!!

Great write up and pics Rudy, sure enjoy your reports!!
    Wierdrider, sealsam, Chillis and 3 others like this.
  8. glasshousebc

glasshousebc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That last shot... very nice.

thoroughly enjoyed the journey... thank you for sharing.
    Wierdrider, sealsam, Chillis and 2 others like this.
  9. Son of MotoPolo

Son of MotoPolo The mountains are calling...

Oddometer:
    If you can afford to live in SLO, I'm jealous. That place has changed a lot from the quiet college town I remember. Got a little glitzier, but I can't say it's bad.
  10. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Eric...

I like that "YOLO..." I have several memorable lifetime moments because of those four words and not a single regret.

11. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I disagree about YOLO:

You only live twice, or so it seems
    One life for yourself, and one for your dreams
    You drift through the years and life seems tame
    Till one dream appears and RIDE is its name
    And RIDE is a stranger who'll beckon you on
    Don't think of the danger or the stranger is gone
    This dream is for you, so pay the price
    Make one dream come true, you only live twice....

Didn't you guys see the movie?

OK, I changed the lyrics just a bit.:D
  12. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    dano,

it had to be done, I was in the area, so the only thing left was "just do it..."
  13. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for tagging along...

14. MYUMPH

MYUMPH 'Ol Timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Another wonderful writeup Rudy! It seems the gearing change on the Monkey has had nothing but positive results.
  15. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    Yes... I have the DVD box set... :lol3

DSC01021.jpeg
  16. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    Thanks... the Monkey would've had a more difficult time making that trip given the camping gear, hills, and headwind without the 14T sprocket...

+1 on the gearing change...
    sealsam, MYUMPH, klaviator and 2 others like this.
  17. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You're almost tempting me to break out the DSLR on some trips. It is nice to be able to take really good pics.
  18. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    You know you want to...
    MYUMPH, klaviator and Chillis like this.
  19. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    But $3000 for the body and lens alone. Heavy and damage would not be welcomed!

Fear of damage is the biggest factor.
  20. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great report Rudy, now some of us want to see you sitting on that Monkey. I want to see if the tires go down!
    Chillis, Project Mayhem and black 8 like this.