1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

SoCal Motography Adventures...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by black 8, Jul 12, 2017.

1. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is a big advantage of a hitch carrier. I have an easier time loading into the bed of my pickup because I'm 6-2. If I was a few inches shorter that would be much harder. As it is, I really hate loading and unloading my bigger bikes so I rarely do that. The KLX and Like are pretty easy.
  2. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    Is that the grand opening of the moto track you built on site? Google satellite still hasn't updated to show the dirt track you built by the house...
  3. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
  4. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    Yup... that's me being vertically challenged at 5'8"... that and I ain't gettin' any younger so I'm looking down the road...
  5. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks Supporter

Oddometer:
    That hitch of colby's is solid. I built a similar one for the motorhome, but only 1.5 inch receivers. Looks like 2.0 inch on his, so good. Hitch carriers would give you more bed room, and easier to load/ unload. IMO.
  6. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks Supporter

Oddometer:
    I will add this, on a hitch carrier. When using tie downs on the frontend of the bike, you will need a support under the fender to stop the forks from compressing ( causes fork seal fail ). Easy to make for plywood or they sell them.
    Actually you need them in the truck bed too.
  7. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    That's so cool Eric...

I just read through the entire thread and looks like you built it on both side of the dirt driveway leading to the house...

I'll see if I can make it to your moto fest... might be a good test run with the truck and Monkey...
  8. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking along the same lines... :thumb
  9. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I used a hitch carrier (aluminum, rated for 400 pounds, I think) to haul a WR250R with my 2002 Toyota Tacoma. It handled the bike alright and wasn't too hard to load using the supplied, detachable ramp. But even with a receiver 'anti-rattle' collar tightened up the bike just moved around back there more than I liked. Never fell off, never touched the truck. But watching it in the rearview made me uncomfortable.

I'm still considering one for the back of our small class C camper, but would want a custom made one with at least two Class 4 receivers and a lifting mechanism so the bike could be loaded at ground level. But I doubt I'll ever do it because of the other "feature" of hitch carriers, especially behind RV's is that the vacuum behind the vehicle sucks all the dust and road grime up to thoroughly coat the bike. In the rainy Southeast you will get wet on most any multi-day trip, and the bike will be filthy riding in that spot. So my solution is a lightweight trailer. Tried a 'Trailer-in-a-Bag', which disassembles and will fit in a car trunk, first. It worked quite well, actually, but I ran across a killer deal on a 4.5' wide by 8' long Aluma flat bed trailer. It weighs around 600 pounds or less with a gross weight of 2,000'. Easy to move around when unhooked, easy to load and unload, has a torsion axle so rides smooth and bike is solid. I dislike the hassle of a trailer, but for an old guy it is so much easier to use than anything else I've tried.
  10. Oldschoolrocker

Oddometer:
    Right on Rudy! Yes its mainly on one side of property with a return next to driveway. I still need to finish the jump that will shoot you over the driveway near house and return you along side of driveway to the front. Then there is the long back straight for the speed runs..hehe!! I'll do anything for a good rush! Cant wait til its dialed. Its a long ways for you but that would be super if you showed. We'd spoil you!!
  11. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    Doing all this research gets me "edumacated" on the hauling figures for the Ranger. With my tow package 53R, I have a max tongue weight of 750 lbs and can tow up to 1,650 lbs w/o trailer brakes and up to 7,500 lbs with trailer brakes... So now I know the Ranger can safely handle a hitch carrier...

Good point about pulling a trailer, I can easily rent one cheaply for getaways...
  12. Oldschoolrocker

Oddometer:
  13. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bee-utiful!!

Congratulations on the new purchase. I think you're gunna love it. I really dig my Colo after coming from two F150's, a Tacoma and now the Colo. This midsize with the backup camera has been great, especially hauling the bikes around(which I do a lot!!). This old fart is still shoving them in bed, although at a much slower pace now.

I make sure the ramp is is secured to the truck with a tie-down, about half the time I use a second ramp to walk on.

All the best with it Rudy! Looks great!!
  14. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
  15. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    as a member of an HOA myself, i can sympathize. fortunately i can store stuff at the shop, though i don't take too much advantage of that.
  16. Ol Man

Ol Man Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rudy, you might look into the Kendon stand up trailers. I just picked one up a few weeks ago. They can carry up to three bikes, depending on model. I bought their Go Series, which is the Chinese made model, since I figure I will only use a few times a year. They are a bit heavier than the more premium model.

I also use the original Moto Jack Rack and I like how I don't have to do much of a lift to get it on the platform. They are a bit wobbly, but never had an issue.
  17. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Sam...

I've had my fare share of 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks in the past, driving the F-150 reminded me what I had to deal with driving full size trucks. The midsize pickup just feels the right... sorta like how I'm transitioning from my bigger 1200cc bikes to the Baby GS at 310cc... so much easier to own and drive...

18. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
  19. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    fortunately my HOA is pretty mellow in that regard.

if anything, too mellow.

no notice when they were trimming trees and the crew left a 4’ x 10’ x4’ pile of tree in my backyard, I just threw it all Back over the fence. Then piled it by the dumpster. Follows that up with pics and a WTF email....... got a sorry. THEN, 3 days later come home to them re roofing our garages.... dirt/debris EVERYWHERE in my garage, harley apart on the bench, fortunately engine still together. They coulda warned me they were gonna roof the garages, I could have covered my shit up with sheets etc.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/vill...y-nice-sportster.1347235/page-6#post-36322294
  20. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    I have seen the Kendon trailers... they are pretty nice but I'd like to keep it simple and that's why I am leaning on that hitch carrier... more compact, less maintenance, and I can throw it up on a shelf when not needed.

Thanks for the info on the Moto Jack... I found them eBay...