SoCal Motography Adventures...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by black 8, Jul 12, 2017.

1. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't overlook the wide, arched, folding ramps from DiscountRamps.com. Having ample foot room on each side of the center track makes loading and unloading so much easier and safer. I've used them to haul an R1100RT and R1150GS's with no issues. Something the size of your G310GS would be a piece of cake.
  2. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    Thanks... I already own a pair of motorcycle ramps that haven't seen use in nearly a decade. The last time I used them was in 2008 with an second gen KLR-650...

Maybe I need to blow off the dust and practice with the XT-250...

3. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’d just buy a nice hitch hauler and be done with it.

If i was buying it and not making it, the only ones I’ve seen that will pass my muster is the versa haul, and the joe hauler.
  4. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    I'm in no hurry...

I'll be downsizing the stable next year so it will probably be tailored to whatever that may be...
  5. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Too bad about your HOA rules Rudy. I have a 2003 Ranger; smaller than your new one and probably less H.P. (210) but I built and haul around a 6 X 10 enclosed trailer with room for 2 bikes. Also have a stove; sink; fridge and microwave built into the front v nose. Takes moto glamping to a new level. Congrats on getting back into truck ownership again. On the subject of bed protection...don't get a rubber mat. They trap water and dirt and actually over time will wear through the paint and promote rust. Also very slippery when wet. Get a good quality sprayed in bed liner applied. Very durable and non slip. Do this now while your truck is new and clean. Will last the life of the truck....Dave
    trailer 354.jpg

trailer 348.jpg

trailer 350.jpg

trailer 320.jpg
  6. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    Nice trailer/toy hauler Dave... I'm jealous of that shop you're using.

I'm going a different direction than a spray in bed liner... I opted for a bed rug so it's softer on the knees. I'm also installing a hard folding tonneau cover for better weather protection and cargo security while maintaining full bed access with just the removal of two screws if I need to haul a bike. I'll keep an eye under the bed rug for moisture but SoCal is pretty dry for the most part.

On another front, DMV is slowly getting back to work. Even though I sent the registration for two bikes a couple of months ago, I finally received the registration for one but not the other... at least I'll be able to ride the Enduro again..

7. rickj

rickj Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the new truck, Rudy!

I've been driving around in 4X4 SUVs since the 80s, but recently bought my first truck. About a year ago we picked up a nicely optioned 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie with all the off-road stuff, and I'm loving it. We also got rid of our small (TrailManor) camping trailer picked up a 26 foot travel trailer (Flagstaff 25FBLS). The idea was to sort of coerce Marilyn into retirement by showing her what we could be doing.

Well, Marilyn loves her work, and my attempt to get her to retire in the next year or so didn't work. She has now decided that she doesn't want to retire for 2 or 3 more years!

That leaves me in a dilemma as I'm already retired and have been basically waiting for her. Instead, I'm pondering my retirement activities for the next few years while Marilyn continues her career, and I have some ideas.

I'm considering a small dual purpose bike that I can put in the bed of the truck, possibly a BMW G310GS or something similar. I'm also considering a small a-frame trailer that I can tow behind the truck so I don't have to use the big one just for myself. That could be a pretty fun setup and get me off our property for some fun! I'll use the bigger trailer for short trips with Marilyn and maybe rent the a-frame one out to help pay for it. There's also that tug to get back into sailing...

While I contemplate my and Marilyn's retirement, I enjoy your posts and following your retirement activities!

Rick

IMG_3654.JPG

Attached Files:

8. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Will a dual sport bike fit in the bed of your truck with the tailgate up? If it's a 5 foot bed it won't and you won't be able to pull your trailer. Even with a 6 foot bed it might not fit. I had the same idea but with a 5 foot bed it's a no go for me even with a small scooter in the bed.

Maybe it would work if you removed the tailgate?
  9. rickj

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the comments, Klav.

Yeah, I still have some details to work through. The bed is 5'7" and I'm hoping that I can place a bike in diagonally. A rough measurement has it a bit over 7 feet, so I may be able to get a bike in there. The Baby-GS is 81.8" in length, so it may actually fit. Of course, I need to first look closely at bikes and decide on which one I'll get, and then see if there's a way that I can make this idea happen.

Concept phase right now...
  10. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:

Good on you for making the leap Rick... I remember you mentioning that plan back in 2018 when I rode with you, Don, and Bob to Furnace Creek...

I'm glad to hear that you retired and are now enjoying the perks... not so much that Marylin still wants to enjoy working for the next year or so...

You can always use the excuse that the G310GS will keep you occupied while you wait for her to retire... :lol3

If you do get the little Baby GS, you will not regret it... it can handle highway speeds with aplomb as long as you are not in a hurry... it's capable in the dirt and way easier to handle that the GSA...

:beer
  11. rickj

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Rudy. I don't think Marilyn is going to retire in the next year or so - more likely 3 years out. With that said I have to find things to do in my pre-Marilyn retirement. I've been working on our property for some time to get it to the point where I don't have to spend so much time working on it. The plan that's emerging is to refi the house and pull out some cash to finish up most all of the indoor and outdoor projects, which will free up my time to go play.

Speaking of playing, I'm definitely going to start riding the GSA more often, hopefully at least once a week. Maybe even a few short local overnight camping trips. I'll check with you and see if you can make it.

On the issue of the G310GS, it's at the top of a pretty short list, but I'm still looking. Of course, I'd have to get approval from the CFO first...
  12. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

I don't think a 310GS will fit in a 5-7 bed with the tail gate up. On the other hand, a Monkey bike would:D
  13. Old Dudes Matter

Old Dudes Matter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The 310 will fit fine diagonally. I have a Ford F-150 with the 5’ 6” bed and have loaded a 1200 GS a few times. Load into the front corner, tie it down and Scooch the back end around until the tail gate closes. It wedges in well and doesn’t move at all. Added weight maybe a problem with a big trailer, but shouldn’t be with a small A-frame. This leaves room for the monkey in the back seat (just tiring to help stimulate the economy).
    Wierdrider, The Virginian and black 8 like this.
  14. Old Dudes Matter

Old Dudes Matter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking at spec’s, Rudy’s should fit too. According to the all knowing internet, my old GS is 87” and the 310 is 81.5. If your new Ranger has the 5’ bed as it lots like with the super cab, it should squeeze right in. Ricks 1500 should be 6.5 and an easy fit. I hope the Ranger is lower to the ground to help with loading, as in my opinion it’s at least a two person job. BMW’s Big or small, ain’t light little bikes. I think BMW GS really stands for “Big Mama with Weight, Girth and Size issues .
  15. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    Hey Rudy.

18E58542-8B65-41C3-9BA2-6F7BCC90571E.jpeg BEB68722-3152-456A-A766-4B8402232FF0.jpeg
  16. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    I have the 5' bed and the length from the front to the end of the tail gate (down) is about 85". The 310GS is about 82" from the leading knob to rear most knob (71" from the front knob to the middle of the rear tire) so it will fit straight in...

I'd rather keep the right side clear for visibility and cargo below the bed... Although I'm not sure that I want to load a bike in the bed just for that reason...
    The Virginian and Chillis like this.
  17. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
  18. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    Yes, I just dropped off the Colorado to the Chevrolet dealer for it’s lemon law buyback. Hopefully that chapter is closed in 7-10 business days when I get a check
  19. rickj

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Dude. The idea or carrying a smaller DS bike in the truck bed actually started with me thinking about me loading the 1200 GSA into the rear of the truck diagonally. However, like you mentioned, I'm not real excited about lugging that 1200 up a ramp - even with help! I'm really limited on load capacity with this truck (1278 lbs.) and my GSA would use up more than half of what I can carry!

My Ram 1500 is what they call the "Crew Cab", which provides for an incredibly spacious rear seating area at the expense of a short 5'7" bed. The "Quad Cab" has the shorter rear seating area and the longer 6'4" bed.

First world problems...
    Dirt Road Cowboy and black 8 like this.
  20. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    Great news on the lemon law buyback and congrats on the new truck...

Like you said, even though you could have fixed all the problems yourself, it's not like the manufacturer would have comped you all the hours to troubleshoot and fix all the niggles on the truck...