SoCal Motography Adventures...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by black 8, Jul 12, 2017.

1. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    thanks Rudy,

Now i have to get used to a whole new rig.
  2. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    I like Don's solution...

maybe when I win the lottery...
  3. rickj

rickj Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don actually sold his Rampage lift and got a Loadall system. He says that it's easier and faster for him to get the bike up on the truck by himself. I've seen him do it and it is pretty impressive.

My big issue will always be that I can only carry so much weight in my truck bed, so adding a 300 lb ramp system would negate the whole thing for me! I'd have to go old school.

Rick
  4. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    Did this today

076DBB91-68D8-4F87-82AE-CD2E0EA36749.jpeg
  5. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
  6. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    kinda spendy, but i wanted to do it straight away before i messed up the bed.

i haul stuff A LOT, engines, transmissions, tires/wheels, etc. so i figure since I'm planning on keeping this one a while, i might as well do something asap.

(also ordered the rear seat delete panels and new tires)
    klaviator, black 8, sealsam and 2 others like this.
  7. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Keeping a while... heard that before!
  8. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    you’ve said that before!

I’m really workin out a 36 month plan for truck/rig combo.
    klaviator, black 8, MYUMPH and 3 others like this.
  9. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Does the truck have a locker?

I say it all of the time. If this Covid crap doesn't settle down I may be making changes again!
  10. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    Yeah, truck has factory E locker.
    Wierdrider, Honda-50, black 8 and 4 others like this.
  11. ClearwaterBMW

ClearwaterBMW The Examiner Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am so happy that somebody pointed me towards your trip
    I got rid of my last motorcycle recently to a wonderful gentleman here... my 2018 GS adventure
    I'm left with the three scooters in my signature including the XMAX you are mentioning here
    it is an incredible scooter
    I'm considering very strongly adding a Honda monkey to the three scooters, none of which I will sell
    you have certainly inspired me even more to do so
    what a wonderful trip and I appreciate all the great stories and pictures
    and again I'm thankful that I was pointed towards you
  12. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for tagging along Greg.

I'm at that juncture where I find myself wanting to shed my heavier bikes for lighter machines... although the GSA will be around for a while. I do need to down size the stable and get down to three or four in the coming year or two. Scooter maybe? TW200? we'll just have to see what's next...

As for the Monkey, it puts a "chit eatin' grin" on my face every time I throw a leg over the saddle.

Rudy
  13. MojaveSidecar

MojaveSidecar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Riding your Monkey in this way is excellent preparation for your future GearUp sidecar piloting. Nothing like running a GU into a head wind, up hill, at highway speeds to get an appreciation for well positioned turnouts. Ask me how I know...

Hi Rudy,
    Discovered your wonderful ride report a few days ago and read it all the way through. I cannot believe how much the content covered in your report has summarized the last 10 years of my motorcycling philosophy. I have been retired since 2013 and turned 69 yo last month. I started riding when I was 16 and have owned 30+ m/c's of all types from scooters to Goldwings, Harleys and Beemers.

I only started riding dirt when I was in my mid-50s when I bought my first KLR in 2003. I loved that bike and put 16K miles on it the first year I owned it, BUT, I sucked at riding it in the dirt, even after taking Admo-tours and Jimmy Lewis classes.

After a breaking a wrist in Marble Canyon in DV, I decided there had to be a better solution, so I added a DMC Enduro sidecar to the KLR and that got me going on sidecars, but the KLR sidecar experience is too long a saga to go into here, but that lead me to the Ural GearUps, which is another long story.

When I took the Admo-tours course, they provided a DRZ-400 to use, and I found that bike to be 100% more comfortable for me off road than the KLR, so I bought one of them used, and promptly blew it up. I had it rebuilt and had a wide ratio transmission installed, and that made that bike perfect for me, but subsequent retirement construction projects, snow etc, got in the way and the bike got parked in the pole barn until last month.

In thinning the herd, I sold my 2011 Gobi GearUp to my BIL in Medford, and took a 4 day road trip to deliver it to him. It was this trip that I learned that perhaps a fully loaded GU is not the best choice for solo long distance touring, especially compared to doing the same trip on a KLR solo setup for the road with a 16t cs sprocket and Metzler road oriented tires.

During the C19 lock down, we started watching Itchy Boots' world travel videos on Youtube, and that was the spark that got me going. She is riding all over the world on a RE Himalayan. If she could do it, so can I and the plan to resurrect the DRZ400 was hatched.

My bucket list of rides looks very much like yours so I have more than enough places to visit over the coming years, just have to get started. The carb on the DRZ was so plugged up the throttle wouldnt turn, so I took the bike in and had it serviced.

Got it back last week, it ran great but a few days ago, it started smoking and it looks like it is using oil, so it probably needs rings or valve guides, no water in the oil or oil in the radiator.
    My first camping trip out with my DRZ rig will probably be next week to Table Mountain, up the hill from Wrightwood before I take it back to the shop.

Add in stories about F-150s, hitch carriers, Jeeps, tent trailers and Urals, you get the picture.
    The bottom line for me going forward ... Less is more, keeping only my 06 GearUp and the DRZ (all others sold) and will spend my remaining time riding the world on 400cc's rather than spending that time working on a fleet of motorcycles.

Hoping to see you on the road some time in the future. I am planning to ride the DRZ out to Pahrump for the rally in October.... Hi Joel.
    DrzMMBruces.jpg

Randy from Wrightwood.
  14. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:

Hey Randy...

Thanks for stopping by... I'm glad to hear that you're getting back into riding by resurrecting your DR...

I've still got my eye on a Ural Gear UP in the coming year as I get ready to downsize the stable by a couple. I can just imagine touring with a GU loaded with glamping gear... I'm not much for super slabbing it anymore and wouldn't mind exploring in the slow lane...

Same here, hope to meet you out on one of my rides out to the Alabama Hills or DV...

Rudy
  15. MojaveSidecar

MojaveSidecar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Rudy

Another key piece of the puzzle fell in place for me today. An important item on my bucket list was to be able to "split the cases" on a motorcycle, in particular a DRZ because installing a wide ratio gear box is so beneficial to "adventurizing" a DRZ, not to mention boring and stroking an engine. Until today, I have lacked the confidence to dig into my bike "un-supervised" simply because I never had to before. It is a psychological block thing.

Today I talked to my neighbor who just retired from Edwards about my plans. He is a German F-35 engine mechanic and knows everything there is to know about aircraft mechanical quality control, etc. He is a Harley rider but is also looking to down size to a dualsport. Bottom line is he would love to help me tackle my DRZ engine rebuild project ... for some beer. So as of today, my full time retirement occupation for the next month or 2 is apprentice DRZ engine rebuild mechanic.

The first step is to clear a working area in my basement since I have no garage. Then next week we will start with the diagnosis and tear down of DRZ1 oil burning problem. Next we will re shim the valves on DRZe2 and then split and re assemble the bottom end on a practice DRZ engine (no cylinder or head). With a little luck, both bikes will be ready to roll by the end of the month.

I cant tell you how good it feels to finally take this engine rebuild plunge... your ride report covering your wrenching really helped with this push.

Sorry to hijack your thread, but I wanted to pay some credit where credit is due. I will start my own thread about my "trip/experiences" sometime next week.

Randy from Wrightwood
  16. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:

Niicceeee...

I'm no mechanic but I do have the service manuals for most of the bikes... "mongo need pictures" to follow along with the reading... :lol3

Wrenching on my own bikes means that I'm familiar with them and should something go wrong I'll be able to troubleshoot and fix minor stuff on the road... that and I can save me some greenbacks to spend on stuff or save for my next adventure...

Also glad to hear that you'll be starting your own thread... :clap It's all about documenting "trip/experiences" so we can look back at them someday...

cheers.... :beer
  17. ClearwaterBMW

ClearwaterBMW The Examiner Supporter

Oddometer:
    that Monkey is calling my name
    thanks for your post and thoughts
    they certainly echo mine
    black 8, sealsam and klaviator like this.
  18. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    ~ 10 July 2020

MotoTote Hitch Carrier...

I've been busy these last coupe of weeks doin' research on hitch carriers, farkles for the truck, wrenching on the truck, and general "honey do lists" around the house...

Well... the research and wrenching is pretty much done and all that's left is for some practical application...

I read up on all sorts of hitch carriers and finally settled on the MotoTote MTX Sport motorcycle carrier. It's rated to carry up to 600 lbs... well within the Ranger's rated tongue weight of 750 lbs... The carrier's wheelbase is adjustable up to 65" and I can select the hitch distance from the vehicle to further minimize wobble. The loading ramp is 56.5" long and allows for a shallower angle to load the bike onto the carrier. Also the rear tire track is wider to fit 8.5 inch or 220mm tires (à la TW-200 in the future perhaps... :hmmmmm)

the hitch tube has multiple holes so I can select the distance the carrier is bolted at the receiver end and from the motorcycle end for a total of 20" of adjustment...
    1.jpg

mounted... should be no problem for the Monkey, the XT, and the Baby GS...
    2.jpg

the MotoTote comes with a bolt that prevents horizontal movement... while the j-hook clamp I bought prevents vertical movement... I know I'll still have a little wobble but at least minimized as much as possible...
    3.jpg

it's also rigged with trailer lights so the "popo" will leave me alone on the super slab... I just have to MacGyver an extra license plate mount...
    4.jpg

I feel the need for a road trip... just gotta figure out a destination that's not freakin' hot while I'm waitin' on my heavy duty cam buckle straps next week....
  19. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That looks like a real nice hitch carrier. On of my gripes with so many of the hitch carriers is a lack of places to attach tie downs. That one has that covered. I'm going to look into that one.

I can't wait so read about the adventures you have using that. Colorado had some nice high elevations.....
    Dirt Road Cowboy, black 8 and Chillis like this.
  20. Chillis

Oddometer:
    If no bike is on the carrier, can you drop your tailgate down without contacting anything?