SoCal motorcycle crash kills 4. Another Sad Day.

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Cameleer, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Cameleer

Cameleer Europe, three days at a time.

Oddometer:
  2. MCGMB

MCGMB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I read about it. Very sad.

Apparently the two bikes (each with passenger) were going opposite directions. One of the two was trying to pass a car and went into the oncoming lane to do so. The result was a head on collision with the bike going the other direction. All four dead on the scene.

This article describes it, and has some pics of the bikes on the ground:

https://www.ocregister.com/2019/07/07/4-killed-in-modjeska-canyon-crash/
    Cameleer likes this.
  3. phixmup

phixmup ride'n 2 live Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    By the looks of the pics it looks like it could have been prevented from happening, solid double lines in the crash pics, a true tragedy & bad judgement if that was the case.
  4. elcabong

elcabong Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I totally agree. I occasionally ride Santiago Canyon and it's a bikers haven with Cook's Corner at the end of the main road. That said, with only a few exceptions it's a solid double line road with speed limits of 50 and 55 mph. It shouldn't have happen. Stupid.
  5. brgsprint

brgsprint Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A lot of inmates here insist it's okay to pass on solid lines. No passing zones are for cars and cops are only for revenue.

In this case, the revenue will probably go to the lawyers.
    Cameleer likes this.
  6. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target

Oddometer:
    Holy hell - that's horrible
  7. SenorCollin

SenorCollin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not to speak ill of the dead, but I can't help but be angry that one persons poor judgement led to 3 other people dying in a way that was completely avoidable. I hope it was quick for them, so sad.

Too many kooks and weekend warriors hit the road out here on weekends. Be safe everyone.
  8. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    I do agree. When Im out by myself I might do a double yellow pass out of necessity......................but ONLY when I can see exactly what is ahead,not near a corner or blindspot,never.

I was just out on hiway 49 around Downieville and its amazing how some riders base their day around riding 49,all it is,is slow traffic dawdling along even on a monday.
    But there are biker fatalities on it pretty regular. Fun road,huge chances taken to go fast on it.
  9. Mondo Endo

Mondo Endo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Harley rider was going northbound away from direction of Cooks corner (local biker bar) at approx 4:30pm on Sunday when he passed on a blind corner and ran into Honda rider head on. Cant help but think drinking was involved.
    CA Stu likes this.
  10. Cameleer

Cameleer Europe, three days at a time.

Oddometer:
    That would be unsurprising being very near a bikers bar, and it would triple the senselessness of the tragedy.
  11. -E-

-E- Klaatu barada nikto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Passing on a double yellow is a situational call. It has to be the right situation. In this case a fuckwit did it when it was the wrong place and time. Passing a corvette doing 15 on hwy 1 where you have plenty of visibility to pass safely is still ok. Same spot with a train of RVs may not be ok. The lesson is don't be a fuckwit.
    Foot dragger, dravnx and SenorCollin like this.
  12. PukaWai

PukaWai Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't call it OK, cus if a LEO happens to see it you'll be out quite a few bucks... Not OK. It can be safe, after all there are tons of stretches of double yellow that were dashed just 10 or 20 years ago - just somebody else deciding what is "safe" in response to the latest lawsuit. The arbitrary laws of man change all the time, the laws of physics don't. In this case, passing on an outside curve, with trees blocking visibility to boot... What the h*** was he thinking? A Darwin moment, but a very disturbing tragedy for the other three people that needlessly lost their lives...
  13. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    My Mrs was hit head on a few years ago whilst riding her BMW R1150......squid on a Honda CBR600 crossed double yellows on a corner. Hit her so hard it sheared the left jug off the BMW down to the crankcase.....that's what saved her from serious injury....although they did land a helicopter on Angeles Forest Highway to airlift her to hospital. Oil from her case was FIVE FEET on her side of the lines.
  14. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    few of us were there when this happened on Hudson Ranch Road, just north of Quatal Canyon.

another motorcyclist from oncoming traffic drifted to our lane and had a head-on with the rider behind me. our buddy survived with minor scratches. both bikes were totaled.

seeing a dying rider is one of the saddest experience i ever had (and will never forget). the rider agonized for like 15 minutes. we can not attempt to revive him since blood was coming out of his mouth.

crossing a double yellow has a dire consequence. i have pictures but too graphic.

patience is a gift and riding safely is not given.
  15. kalikali

kalikali Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Screen Shot 2019-07-17 at 1.43.20 PM.png This is in my part of town and I travel this road frequently. It is a wide road for the most part and do not see too many reckless drivers riding down it as other biker hangouts off such as Mulholland up in LA or even in Europe for that matter where some mc riders were absolutely reckless and on a death wish. I would never expect such a thing could happen off Santiago, Ortega Canyon yes.

I guess the best thing to do is to travel on the right side of the lane and have extra bright lights on to increase visibility. The Harley driver was the one who caused the accident, leaving the direction of Cooks Corner, very sad situation. Article said it was on Santiago Canyon 1/4 mile south from Hicks Haul Rd, this roughly where the accident took place.
  16. mr. thumbs

mr. thumbs Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry but there is absolutely never a "NECESSITY" to cross a double solid yellow. Ever!

It's illegal for a reason and this thread should be driving that message home.
    Fat Nelly likes this.
  17. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Ride your own ride.
  18. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Know nothing fuckwit is the proper term. Only a rider or driver with very little brains,or experience, passes at any time when he cant see well ahead as to whats coming.
    I will not follow a motorhome for 35 miles at 23mph due to a double yellow,I will pass when I know it's safe. Everybody has to ride their own ride.
  19. mr. thumbs

mr. thumbs Long timer

Oddometer:
    Im sure the Harley guy was doing just that, "Riding his own ride". Now 4 people are dead.
  20. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    There is such a thing as physics,and vision counts also. You dont pass coming into a corner. You dont pass at any time if you cant for sure see whats coming.
    Cars or bikes dont show up out of no where, they are able to be seen.

To execute a clean pass while riding a bike requires some skill,it has to happen quick and boom your back in the right lane,not everybody can do it,confidence is key.

Who ever pulled out to pass and killed 4 people including himself made a horrible preventable mistake,its a very sad deal.
    MatttheHatt likes this.