SoCal riding suggestions

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by 309, Nov 14, 2020.

1. 309

309 Special Purpose

Oddometer:
    MongoLikeCandy likes this.
  2. MongoLikeCandy

MongoLikeCandy It Never Gets Easier, You Just Go Faster

Oddometer:
    save the route as ill be cycling around Costa Rica then!....but do it!!!
  3. Norty01

Norty01 Occupant

Oddometer:
    I was thinkin, you're gonna be out this way in a week! I was gonna say, I know some roads that fit your "twisty" definition.

Ironically, I'll be in Col Sprgs in late Dec!
  4. SenorCollin

SenorCollin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It might be fun to do a fun day ride from Laguna-San Diego on your last day in Laguna... You could do something like head inland from Laguna to Silverado Canyon, taking the dirt road at the end - Maple Springs - up and over Santiago peak and down Bedford Motorway into Corona, then slab your way down I15 to Temecula, or alternately take Ortega Hwy back up from the 15 to South Main Divide, which a paved fire road that takes you the same way in a more slow and scenic manner and meets back with the 15 at the Clinton Keith exit, then from the Temecula Parkway exit take Pechanga to 76 down to Nate Harrison grade (easy dirt), and up into Palomar. Then you can take S Grade (twisties) back down to 76 and stop off in Julian for some pie, and mosey on over to San Diego through some more twisty goodness that I'm not as familiar with. I know there are some other dirt options out in the Temecula area as well that should be big bike friendly depending on your confidence. This is a ride that I've done and slabbed back to my home in Costa Mesa, but it honestly sounds a lot better to end it by riding into SD.

Feel free to PM me when you're around Laguna, I'm currently out of commission from getting hit by a van (at 76 and S Grade, actually) but might be up to some riding by then. Costa Mesa is pretty much a neighboring city.
    sealsam, breakdirt916 and NSFW like this.
  5. 309

309 Special Purpose

Oddometer:
    Bumping this as after a lot of back and forth there is an actual plan now..

Will be basing out of San Diego from 12/24 to 12/31. Skipping Venice and Laguna.

Seems to be no shortage of epic roads out of SD. Lots of roads I see marked as “____ Truck Trail”. Seems to be a pretty good indicator of a good road, no?

How much of a factor is weather in the mountains there? I see snow and ice mentioned here and there but that just seems crazy. That doesn’t really happen, does it?
    sealsam likes this.
  6. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    San Diego has great weather and riding. You will enjoy it.

Post up here as I did and able to ride for 5 days of trails/gravel roads that are new to me.

here's the RR
    sealsam and 309 like this.
  7. cwadej

cwadej Keeper of the truth

Oddometer:

truck trail is everything from maintained chip road (Otay Mountain Truck Trail) to 4x4 or knobbies only (examples escape me now).
    Yes, ice and snow happen in the mountains. Imperial Beach to Julian is 1 hour ride, 4500' elevation change. Last winter interstate 8 was closed several times due to snow. It's not Boulder, but .......

Tons of great trails and roads between Alpine and Julian, Ramona to Mt Laguna.

Of course desert too if you dont mind sand, sometimes stupid deep. Tons of trails in Anza Borrego park
    sealsam, NSFW and 309 like this.
  8. Norty01

Norty01 Occupant

Oddometer:
    Riding a 1200GS is not going to be fun in Ocotillo SVRA. However, if you want to ride some twistys out of Sandy Eggo, I might know some roads. (Turns out I'm not going to 'Springs in late December.) PM if interested.
    sealsam and 309 like this.
  9. 309

309 Special Purpose

Oddometer:
    Got this loose plan for a “get acquainted” ride. This one is all paved but I’ll likely get off the path for interesting detours. Input welcomed.

F387BD3D-C979-4CE4-8021-6A6A31422537.jpeg
  10. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    imo, all good rides start from Ramona!
    sealsam likes this.
  11. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Like Joel said above, Ramona may be the key. Zoom in on G-maps and take a look at all that easy gravel, I followed some of @NSFW(Joel)suggestions and they were spot on.

Also @Norty01, it's his backyard. Hit him up, he'll probably get sick of hearing from me pretty soon cause I need to improve my SD knowledge also.

A couple of "should do's", Mesa Grande Road and the Hideout for a hot dog. Also Julian Pie Co(2 locations)I always end up at the Santa Ysabel one. Right near it is Dudley's for great sandwiches and breads!!

Make sure you explore a few of those statues in Borrego! The serpent is most popular.

Here's hoping for some good weather for ya! :beer

...wait a minute, it's SoCal, thats guaranteed.

:ricky

Here ya go also, mine is crappily written cause that's what I do....

https://advrider.com/f/threads/keeping-up-in-borrego-ne-san-diego-county.1478602/

Norty01, NSFW and 309 like this.
  12. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    If the San Diego mountain weather turns to crap, you could always circumnavigate the Salton Sea. Frequently, the weather backs up against the mountains and is nice to the east down in the desert. The sea is actually beautiful when viewed from a distance, the contrast of blue sea against multi shades of brown mountains can be stunning. I've been riding and driving here for years and just this year was shown the art in Bombay Beach of all places. Wander up and down all the streets to see the sculptures. Pay attention to the graffiti as some was done by the artists.
  13. sealsam

Oddometer:
    Great suggestion from @jonz. The east side of the Sea is quite a place to say the least.

Niland, Salvation Mountain, Slab City & East Jesus(don't miss EJ!).

If that far over, make your way up to Mecca for fuel & food if needed then go check out Box Canyon to the northeast, now you're just a short hop into Joshua Tree. OR, a quick ride up the Chiriaco Summit to take a look at the Patton Museum. Tons of goodies in jonz area! He can tell you more about it, say Berdoo Canyon(open??).

Lot's of nuggets out in our deserts this time of year.

Sal Mtn,
    [​IMG]

East Jesus,
    [​IMG]

Box Cyn,
    [​IMG]
    Wierdrider, jonz, CA Stu and 3 others like this.
  14. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
    I am looking at doing this ride on Sat 26th leaving out of Esco, I also have a full shop if you need to do anything to your bike while in town.
    That includes welding

https://goo.gl/maps/Vjd55WQoM9V8h6FM7

Shoot me a PM if you want to tag along, Ill be producing a GPX track this week of the loop.
    it is all pavement but a lot of twisty pavement
    Wierdrider, sealsam and 309 like this.
  15. sealsam

Oddometer:
    Nice loop!

No Mesa Grande Rd?
  16. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
    no enough daylight this time of year
  17. Norty01

Norty01 Occupant

Oddometer:
    Clockwise, or CCW?

I see you're gonna run Nate Harrison Grade.

Looks like a fun route!
  18. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just keep your Delta at about 8 mph.
    The bad news is your going to go home and hate the silliness of not being able to split there.

There's plenty of awesome GS riding dirt and twisties close to San Diego. When will you come to SD?
  19. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm late to the party here, but you're in good hands with suggestions from DSM8. There's a zillion good options here.
  20. 309

309 Special Purpose

Oddometer:
    I’m driving in with my family. Just stopped for the night in St. George, UT. ETA to SD is early afternoon tomorrow.

I’ve gathered a lot of good Intel, including inspiration from your trip to Tecate Peak. I’ve got a lot of time to ride and we’re staying light on plans.

Really looking forward to some good riding! I’ll likely start on Xmas morning. Hopefully it’ll be a good one for light traffic.