SoCal Scooterist's Meanderings

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by sealsam, Dec 16, 2013.

1. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    How's this?

[​IMG]
    DandyDoug, sealsam, MYUMPH and 5 others like this.
  2. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    A271BF7D-ADE7-4193-8A3B-A219147FD759.jpeg
    I have been using a Canon G9X, hanging from a lanyard, for a while.

It is a good one because it has a large, 1" sensor, allowing it work well in low light.

It goes with me on every ride. On some I take hundreds of photos while riding. A few turn out well.

I also have a Fujifilm FinePix XP140 that takes photos of a lower quality, but is rugged and can be used on wet days. It has one big problem though. That is the lens location sometimes takes photos of my fingers as I hold the throttle with my right hand and shoot photos with my left. The fingers sometimes come into view and I always have to be thinking about holding them away from the lens.

The best camera may be the Olympus Tough TG6. It is waterproof, takes good photos, has a GPS that embeds the location on photos and the lens is in the middle, out of the way of wandering fingers. My friends Ken and Walt both use this one.

The image on the computer screen is on a setting sun group ride on Milos.

Bill
    sealsam, MYUMPH, simbaboy and 4 others like this.
  3. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I use an Olympus TG5 hanging from a strap around my neck. It takes some pretty good pictures but even with the lens in the middle I occasionally manage to get a finger in the picture. I rarely take pics with my phone. It's too much of a hassle to pull it out of my pocket and use it. The only real advantage of the phone is that I can post the pics on ADV immediately.
  4. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    I changed from AT&T to T-Mobile recently. That change saw the end of me using an iPhone 5, buying a new iPhone X with the change.

The camera on the new phone is amazing, so it is all I use now when I am off the scooter.

But for taking photos while riding, the Canon on a lanyard works very well.

You are right, taking photos with the phone makes it easy to post here. I use it for all of my tags and post immediately.

Bill
  5. simbaboy

simbaboy Lansing MBS Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think action cameras (like the GoPro, etc) take okay pictures and videos but nothing fantastic. The lens is meant for wide action capture. The post processing is a pain especially if working with videos. Point and shoot cameras on a lanyard hanging from the neck is what Sam and I have used for years. I like the Fuji waterproof, dust proof, shock proof camera.

The GoPro or equivalents allow you to keep your hands on the handlebars and take pictures on the fly. The velcro or handlebar mounted remote is pure magic. My GoPro is mounted on my helmet for dual sporting and mounted on the dash on my scooter. But you end up taking way too many pictures and much video footage and most of it goes to waste.

Lots of DIY PVC mount ideas (cheap).

Sam needs a real $$$$ DJI Drone. Need a link?

Imu
    sealsam, Chillis, klaviator and 2 others like this.
  6. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    Nice dual sport ride today! It started as a street ride but I got bored and took the scoot on a dirt ride.
    When Honda introduces the dual sport scooter here I am buying one.

[​IMG]
    MYUMPH, kpinvt, sealsam and 4 others like this.
  7. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I once in a while play with the settings in Iphoto's but have always just used the original. I do some cropping here and there, but what's funny is I'll shoot a number of shots of the same general area, invariably it seems like I use the first photo taken.

Thanks for the editing Win.
  8. sealsam

Oddometer:
    Good enough for me Bill, your proof lies in your wonderful thread. A few minutes ago I rolled the laptop at the wife and said I'm thinking about a christmas present from you to me---"why bother, you'll buy it before then" she said. We'll see.

Thanks for the tip Bill!
    villageidiot, klaviator and simbaboy like this.
  9. sealsam

Oddometer:
    @villageidiot walked me through that process once, I screwed it up. I still go old style and download to Smug then move it over. A bit more time consuming, but jeez I've got all my favorites in there; family, riding, trips etc. Smug has been terrific for my purposes.
  10. sealsam

Oddometer:
    No more links please!!!

Look what came today.........from one of your links.:baldy

Just more stuff to try to figure out.:baby

[​IMG]
    Chillis, MYUMPH, villageidiot and 3 others like this.
  11. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    That was quick--gotta love Amazon.
    First --download the App to your phone. You can control the camera with the App, if you wish.
    I like controlling it with the included Remote.
    I will send you pics as to where I mounted mine--on the helmet and on scooter brake reservoir.
    I use the water proof case all the time.
    Chillis and sealsam like this.
  12. sealsam

Oddometer:
    :imaposer

I live in SoCal!
    Chillis, villageidiot and simbaboy like this.
  13. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    Smart ass.
    Anyhow, the action camera works great as a dash cam or also mounted on the rear view mirror and controlled via the remote.
    It's perfect for the Zion ride towards Mt.Carmel.
    The action camera really shines on that drive.
    Imu
  14. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    Don't recommend this as it looks goofy. I have reinforced the mount with duct tape. Yup, it looks horrible Don't do this.
    But I like goofy.

[​IMG]

and below is a picture. Not impressive at all but it is easy. Below is The WRT.
    [​IMG]

and one towards Hey Joe Canyon
    [​IMG]
  15. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think we need an action cam at El Pollo Loco with Sam!
    black 8, sealsam, Chillis and 4 others like this.
  16. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great pics Imu, I have never ever ridden that type of riding and it looks like a lot of fun especially with a group of friends.
  17. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    The rides are OK. The scenery is OK.

But what makes it memorable is hanging around with friends and watching them constantly picking up your bike, sweating, cursing while you are enjoying a protein bar and a cold drink and taking pictures. The damn suckers have not learned anything since 2009.

I just blame the Rider next to me, the Rider in front of me or I blame my 'damn tires' whenever I go down.

Imu

You would think these guys would know better
    [​IMG]

Wise guy always hanging around in the very back. Way Way back.
    [​IMG]

I give them a lecture at the 'Indian Writings' and they just sock in the BS I spew out!
    [​IMG]
  18. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Eric, get yourself a dual sport bike and come join us!
    DandM, MYUMPH, The Virginian and 2 others like this.
  19. sealsam

Oddometer:
    Not goofy at all Imu, pretty common look here in CA. Most of the daily commuter motorcycle traffic dudes have that set up, probably documenting in case any issue's(wrecks)come up. As a matter of fact, on this mornings drive the radio traffic report had 3 bikes down at one time scattered across the LA Basin. Yep, it's the lane splitter folk, possibly or most likely not the biker's fault, just the distracted texting idiots behind the wheel.
  20. sealsam

Oddometer:
    Is there enough battery life in those things, that fooker loves his EPL, seems like were in there forever while this bitch savors each bite.:dirtdog
    MYUMPH, The Virginian and simbaboy like this.