SoCal Scooterist's Meanderings

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by sealsam, Dec 16, 2013.

1. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    While I enjoyed flying it was never my passion like riding is. I don't miss it. I didn't even renew my FAA physical. As for being woke up by my alarm at 9:30 in the evening to go to work, it's been 6 months and I barely remember that except that it sucked.

I did log all my hours and ended up with around 11,500 hours. I flew most of the 21 years I was in the Navy and then 11 1/2 years flying the Fedex caravan. I do sometimes miss being in the Navy. The flying there was much more interesting. I also had a lot more responsibility in the navy. Flying was only part of my job there. The best way to describe it is that when I was in the navy "I used to be someone".
  2. Steve_h

Steve_h Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Sam

It seems, from the tv news, that California is burning down...you ok?
  3. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    it’ll take a hell of a lot for sams place to burn down.

there are a bunch of wildfires in the foothills and wilderness here though.
  4. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's been a tough week for a lot of folks in SoCal mainly up in the foothill areas & canyons. With record rains last year creating all the new fuel, this is just the normal event every fall in CA. Last week was tremendously hot with single digit humidity levels and northerly winds, 'The Santa Ana's'...classic.

This morning it's all starting up again, currently the Bel Air area above UCLA & Getty is being shut down and evacuated. Those folks live in some beautiful canyons with lots of foliage, but look out when it turns bad!

This shot is from the Getty Museum from one of the scooter group rides, looking north with the 405 on right. Currently everything west(left)of that shot is blazing.

[​IMG]

This is from the Franklin Canyon ride(lots of filming in there over the years)just east of the 405 & UCLA. Lots of fuel in there!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Me, what has been unusual I have not felt the winds during these Santa Ana's that I usually do. Out here on the coast it has been pretty calm. All the area's with the issues is 30-40 miles north of me. We'll see how this week goes with more single digit humidity levels expected.

Thanks for checking in Steve.
    black 8, CashCow, kpinvt and 6 others like this.
  5. Steve_h

Steve_h Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear that you're ok. Looks like some very expensive real estate is going up in flames this year. If feel for all those people. Hope everybody has the sense to get out and not die in it.
    sealsam and Chillis like this.
  6. kpinvt

kpinvt OLDnSLO

Oddometer:
    Way off topic question: I tried Googling info on the Getty but have not found the answer to a question. Does the Getty have a backup power source to power their fire suppression systems? Thanks.
    sealsam likes this.
  7. sealsam

Oddometer:
    Steve,

It's looking like one more day of the Santa Ana's, then things should calm down. Lots of homes lost again, sad.
  8. sealsam

Oddometer:
    KP, I found this...https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...place-for-art-during-la-wildfires/2493715001/

A few shots from our scooter group ride to the Getty. Pretty amazing place!

From the Getty looking south over UCLA,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That ride had a big turnout that day, I was about three rows back when I shot this. My buddy Don was having a good time on his green wasp.

[​IMG]
    Chillis, kpinvt, klaviator and 3 others like this.
  9. simbaboy

simbaboy Lansing MBS Supporter

Oddometer:
    After living in Santa Monica for a few years my Parents saved up enough money to make a down payment on house---but they could only afford a house in The Valley. So we lived in Granada Hills area.
    Both Mom and I used to RTD bus the 405 to UCLA for 7 years. She worked in the cafetaria while I was a student (I got a 'Mom works in the cafetaria discount'---free food).
    Occasionally, the bus would detour on Sepulveda Blvd and go by Mulholland Drive and that area.
    That drive/RTD bus ride for 7 years at 5AM and at 5PM 'drove' me away from SoCal the 1st chance I got.
    Nice area and sorry to see so much of the hills on fire.
    I am glad you guys are all safe. Some Cousins of mine have had mandatory evacuations but their homes are safe. Thank God as I don't want them moving to Michigan.
    Imu
    Chillis, sealsam, klaviator and 4 others like this.
  10. sealsam

Oddometer:
    :fpalm
  11. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    My Brother who is a car salesman was asking about the business and employment opportunities in Michigan.
    I told him we make cars here but have no dealerships---we all go to Chicago to buy our cars. Or we go to Atlanta where he already resides.
    He got the hint.
    Then, I asked about career opportunities in my field in Atlanta.
    He replied "No hospitals in Atlanta. We go to Florida to get our health care"
    I got the hint.
    I love my Brothers. 3/4 of them are living off my Mom's Retirement.
    I once asked my Brother if his job provides him with an IRA. He replied he does not need an IRA as he already has an I-M-U. Fukin' Mutant!

Imu
  12. sealsam

Oddometer:
    Ya I suppose when you tell me all the Moab trails are closed, I'll get the hint.

In the mean time, can't wait to get me some more Musselman Arch,

[​IMG]
  13. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    I wish you were coming into Moab on Friday and be ready to ride Saturday.
    I plan the best, most scenic and easiest ride for the 1st Riding Day in Moab.
    It all goes downhill (or uphill) after that and limbs and life are in jeopardy.
    I think clockwise WRT will be Monday so @WYO George and CigarDave can join us.

Imu
  14. sealsam

Oddometer:
    After all these years, now you tell me this.:dirtdog

...I'll see if I can change some things.
    MYUMPH, simbaboy and The Virginian like this.
  15. sealsam

Oddometer:
    While many I'm sure are following @The Virginian's thread, I will still share a few pics here from a recent meet up with Eric in Vegas.

If you possibly are not following Eric's thread, he recently made a trip into Las Vegas, so a meet up was in order. Brian(@Chillis)lives in Vegas, Colby(@villageidiot) and myself drove up together from SoCal for this meet & greet. Not really planning anything specific other than 'let's eat breakfast', we finally decided to make a quick trip out to Red Rock Canyon, if you've never done, you need to. RRC is awesome!

Scoundrels, miscreants, scalawags, & swindlers....there they are,

me, Eric, Colby & Brian. If seen, stay away. Worthless bunch of turds.

[​IMG]

This is Brian's hood, who knows where he's taking us,

[​IMG]

After the Red Rock Canyon antics, Brian took us out to Blue Diamond, NV., with a liquid stop at Cottonwood Station, this is one cool hangout in a terrific little town! Good move Brian, nice place to hang!!

[​IMG]

Thanks again gang, all good friends that I love hanging with, but beware. They love talking CC's, compression ratio's, needle valves, air pressure's & what oil to use. YES, they're three smart sumbitches that probably shouldn't be hanging with me!!

Thanks again guys, an honor to call y'all friends!!

:freaky
    jon_l, CashCow, HelloPitty and 8 others like this.
  16. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    A good time was has by all.
    sealsam, MYUMPH, simbaboy and 3 others like this.
  17. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    Will meet most if not all during Moab 2020.
    Imu
  18. sealsam

Oddometer:
    Attended my first hockey game last night. Ducks V. Oilers', the quacks got whacked! I got no dog in the fight so :csm.

Went with my son, his future father in law, and future brother in law, both from Canada-Victoria & Vancouver.

Got a great run down of the game, rules and lot's other tidbits of info from my counterpart, a good time indeed. Best part, when walking in we were given Ducks hats. After McDavid scored his 3rd goal, all those freakin' hats ended up on the ice, COOL.:thumb:imaposer

Seems like Duck fans were pretty pissed, I thought it was pretty freakin' funny. I was in Anaheim but it was pretty tough telling who the home team was, lots of Edmonton fans in attendance.

...and keeping it scooter related, Honda does build scooters.:fpalm

[​IMG]
    HelloPitty, MYUMPH, simbaboy and 4 others like this.
  19. sealsam

Oddometer:
    Squeezing in an overnight trip out to the Anza Borrego, and got lucky with some pretty nice weather(no wind)in the desert, and 90* through the Coachella Valley.

I'm riding the 'highway runner' Majesty for this quick loop and this bike reminds me why I need to hang on to it for runs like this. I couldn't do a run like this on a Vespa. I need speed and bulk when exiting the LA Basin area, ya gotta keep up or stay ahead on our freeways, this bike just continues to perform exceptionally in these areas. High speed cruise is effortless.

The map says 240 miles, but my clock ticked 260 in the garage, so I found 20 miles of side distractions somewhere I guess.

[​IMG]

Initial thoughts were to go to Pioneertown OR Joshua Tree, not both. I had to get to Borrego to take care of house chores(which I did). Bad choice, shoulda went to JTNP! I've never been to Pioneertown so at least I got that done, and now I don't have to waste my wife's time taking her there. :snore

I've got plenty of pics to go through and download(later), but here's a few,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tomorrow get out of Borrego early for a meet up with my sister in Carlsbad, then home.

I'll see if I can take a pic or two,

Thanks for tuning in!

20. sealsam

Oddometer:
    Back home in Seal after a terrific day on the road covering some fantastic roads of San Diego County, and best of all hitting my sister up for some lunch in Carlsbad. I'm pretty sure I've mentioned it before, my sister is mom of fellow scooter inmate @HelloPitty(my niece). Hi L. :wave

Covered 170 miles today with a two day total of 430 miles, all very easily done on a wonderful road bike, the Majesty.

Started going through the pics(not sure I made my mile per pic ratio, thanks Colby)yea, there are a few to go through.

S3, Yaqui Pass Rd this morning on my way out of Borrego,

[​IMG]