1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

    Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

SoCal Scooterist's Meanderings

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by sealsam, Dec 16, 2013.

  1. sealsam

    sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

    Joined:
    May 30, 2010
    Oddometer:
    7,674
    Location:
    seal beach, ca.
    I like that one too Imu!



    Remember last May? Leaving Toroweap, with @RedRockRider waay down that dirt road somewhere,

    IMG_0775.jpg



    I like this one too, headed down Montezuma Valley Rd. into the Anza Borrego last June,

    IMG_2148.jpg
    DandyDoug, black 8, cabanza and 6 others like this.
  2. sealsam

    sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

    Joined:
    May 30, 2010
    Oddometer:
    7,674
    Location:
    seal beach, ca.
    Drove back to Seal this morning from Borrego, home by noon.

    Started raining in Borr yesterday about 330, rained all night, we left in the rain. Rain all the way till about Oceanside, then more rain till about Newport Beach, then spotty. Heavy downpour for 30 minutes here in Seal around 3pm, been ok since.
    Rusty J, Chillis and simbaboy like this.
  3. villageidiot

    villageidiot Long timer Supporter

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2010
    Oddometer:
    14,279
    Location:
    Orange County, CA
    got off and on rain today in costa mesa, a lot less than what id thought based on the way people were talking, i don't watch news, check weather, etc etc, but all good. just a little water.
  4. villageidiot

    villageidiot Long timer Supporter

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2010
    Oddometer:
    14,279
    Location:
    Orange County, CA
    at work, we have......

    the boss, who frets EVERY SINGLE PERCENTAGE of rain like its the fucking plague. I'm constantly "you know if its a 40% chance theres a 60% chance it won't right??"

    and old man in the back, who religiously, "late night and early morning fog, low clouds, blah blah pressure system from the north making way yadda yada"

    and then me..... yeah, its raining, but its still 65* and I'm wearing shorts so what the fuck does any of it matter, just don't leave your car windows down.
  5. Pokeyjoe

    Pokeyjoe Vespa Primavera 150

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2008
    Oddometer:
    676
    Location:
    Long Beach, CA
    I pulled it because I missed some red and couldn't edit it again. I'll have to start over, but Sam should post a pic he'd like modified instead of me just picking one.

    [​IMG]
    DandyDoug, simbaboy, sealsam and 4 others like this.
  6. Pokeyjoe

    Pokeyjoe Vespa Primavera 150

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2008
    Oddometer:
    676
    Location:
    Long Beach, CA
    I had a couple V7s in the past. This was always my favorite photo:

    [​IMG]
    DandyDoug, simbaboy, sealsam and 3 others like this.
  7. sealsam

    sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

    Joined:
    May 30, 2010
    Oddometer:
    7,674
    Location:
    seal beach, ca.
    Holy crap, that's cool!

    Nice job PJ.

    Thank you!!
  8. sealsam

    sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

    Joined:
    May 30, 2010
    Oddometer:
    7,674
    Location:
    seal beach, ca.
    I really like the MG!

    That is a beautiful pic.

    Colby & Brian kept watching me come back to this one at last's year bike show,

    [​IMG]
  9. Chillis

    Chillis Long timer Supporter

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2005
    Oddometer:
    16,648
    Location:
    Las Vegas
    I have the picture of you sitting on that bike.

    Bet it would be an awesome cruiser!
  10. GotMojo

    GotMojo Long timer

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2016
    Oddometer:
    1,044
    Location:
    Orange County, CA
    Congrats on finding Princess Stinky in the show parking lot.

    IMG_20191122_175619416.jpg

    As promised, PRIZES!!

    panda-dogs-sitting-in-the-lap-of-a-girl-244x300.jpg

    Two panda puppies for you.
    cabanza, sealsam, DandyDoug and 2 others like this.
  11. Pokeyjoe

    Pokeyjoe Vespa Primavera 150

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2008
    Oddometer:
    676
    Location:
    Long Beach, CA
    That scooter was parked next to mine when I left the show. I looked the other way. When I got to the show, there was one of these parked in that spot:
    [​IMG]
    Indian FTR (Flat Track Racer) 1200
    It's interesting because it's not a cruiser like every other bike Indian makes. Tons of power at about 500 lbs.

    The other bike I found interesting at the show was the Kawasaki W800:

    [​IMG]

    I love the bevel drive for the overhead cam. This is pretty much a better Triumph Bonneville. Still too heavy, though.

    I was disappointed that KTM/Husqvarna wasn't there. I like drooling on their bikes. No Roamer on display at the Moto Guzzi pavilion. And Triumph didn't have any Street Triples. The Harley display was pretty much overrun as usual. A lot of people checking out their electric bike (LiveWire). A lot of ignorance communicated from the people manning the display. The show-goers knew more about what's going on.
    Chillis, sealsam and villageidiot like this.
  12. sealsam

    sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

    Joined:
    May 30, 2010
    Oddometer:
    7,674
    Location:
    seal beach, ca.
    [​IMG]

    Years and years of me attending the Long Beach show, this one was by far 'not what it used to be'.

    What do I mean? Floor space seemed about 1/2 of what it was not too long ago. The manufactures didn't bring all the inventory, very understandable. But Honda, where is the CB500X? Yes I know it's not all about me, who would really want to see the 500X besides me? As @GotMojo said, no KTM/Husq, they used to at least make a small showing.

    The vendors, which is what I think most of us enjoy at these gatherings, sucked. All I needed this year was a set of side soft bags for my CRF, nothing to choose from...Wolfman told me to go online.:loco

    It's the trend, motorcycling & old cars seem to be going down hill. I mentioned to the prick I was with(@villageidiot :smooch), "look around, nothing but old white folks like me, where's the youth".

    Good thing Eric(@The Virginian) & Brian(@Chillis)didn't come out for this.

    But it's not about the show anyway, it's the pizza. Just wish I had a better dinner date.:lol2 (Thanks for driving, ...ass)

    [​IMG]
  13. sealsam

    sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

    Joined:
    May 30, 2010
    Oddometer:
    7,674
    Location:
    seal beach, ca.
    Some pics from the show,


    @GotMojo did have a wonderful showing! Sorry my friend,

    [​IMG]


    Great detail though,

    [​IMG]


    :thumb:thumb:thumb,

    [​IMG]
    black 8, MYUMPH, simbaboy and 5 others like this.
  14. sealsam

    sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

    Joined:
    May 30, 2010
    Oddometer:
    7,674
    Location:
    seal beach, ca.
    Yes, there's more...

    This was awesome,

    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]


    The smart ass jerk I was with was drooling over this,

    [​IMG]
    black 8, simbaboy, MYUMPH and 5 others like this.
  15. DandyDoug

    DandyDoug Long timer Supporter

    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2007
    Oddometer:
    1,788
    Location:
    Lewisville, Nc.
    I have not been to a motorcycle show in several years. The last one I attended was in Columbia , SC.
    I remember it being ok , bought a helmet .
    I'm kind of hoping one comes to NC. this year if only for the vendors.
    I desperately need a new set of custom molded ear plugs , they are usually at the shows.
    villageidiot likes this.
  16. villageidiot

    villageidiot Long timer Supporter

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2010
    Oddometer:
    14,279
    Location:
    Orange County, CA
    Pizza was great!

    the show, not very great, but at least there’s still a show
    sealsam, simbaboy and Chillis like this.
  17. cabanza

    cabanza Smooth is Fast

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2004
    Oddometer:
    13,171
    Location:
    Kapolei, HI
    Honda should use the "Monkey" blue for the Super Cub.
    sealsam, simbaboy and Chillis like this.
  18. GotMojo

    GotMojo Long timer

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2016
    Oddometer:
    1,044
    Location:
    Orange County, CA
    Careful, that's a precious thing. A $1000 scooter that I spent nearly $3000 on to turn it into a $1200 one!
  19. villageidiot

    villageidiot Long timer Supporter

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2010
    Oddometer:
    14,279
    Location:
    Orange County, CA
    its like i say, if it aint broke, fix it til it is!
  20. simbaboy

    simbaboy Lansing MBS Supporter

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2012
    Oddometer:
    5,795
    Location:
    Lansing, MI
    I bought my heated gear at a show a few years ago--I got the best fitting stuff, high quality and a purchase I don't regret.

    Imu
    sealsam, The Virginian and WYO George like this.