1. eNewsletter Sign Up

SoCal Scooterist's Meanderings

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by sealsam, Dec 16, 2013.

1. tclhb

tclhb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think I will go Saturday. If I do, I will meet the group somewhere before laurel canyon. I'll freeway it to meet up with everyone else.
  2. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    So the monthly Long Beach scooter group got together yesterday for a ride up to the Nethercutt Museum, http://www.nethercuttcollection.org/Museum.aspx , about 50 miles from our meet up point. Turns out the Nethercutts' are the founders of Merle Norman Cosmetics and have accumulated quite the collection of transportation items.

Many of the auto's in the collection have been featured in the Rose Parade, usually hauling around the grand marshall, and almost all the cars have won awards at the Pebble Beach Concours.

The day started earlier than usual with a meet up at 730am, too early for burgers.
    [​IMG]

The ride up took us right through So Central L.A.(insert your own comment here), which eventually linked us up to Hollywood Blvd, right by all the big touristy stuff, but I have no photo's to share of the hot spots, sorry, too much "riding" going on at that point
    [​IMG]

Very long ride to get up to the museum, tons of "city" riding, but once there, it was very rewarding.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The hood ornament collection
    [​IMG]

After killing time with the cars, it's time to eat! Off to Bob's...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The ride back mostly paralleled Interstate 5 along Griffith Park and Dodger Stadium.

Another great day on the scoot with fellow happy scooterists'...
    [​IMG]
  3. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Of all of the restaurants I have sampled(sort of a hobby), the pleasure has never been had of trying the Big Boy chain.

How is it? I have seen them coast to coast.

You guys have awesome scooter rides. I am envious.

How do the HD200 and PCX stack up in real world comparison?
  4. tclhb

tclhb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice pics Sam! Good to see you again!
  5. tclhb

tclhb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lunch was good Brian. The vanilla shake too!
  6. sealsam

Oddometer:
    Hey Tom,

That was a nice ride, a bit dicey going up, but still fun.

It still amazes me with the "crowd participation" we get. Folks on the sidewalks just don't expect to see 23 scooters coming at them, and when they spot us, there jacked! It makes for a fun day!

I've got to get better pics of that beautiful BV350 of yours, and get 'em in this thread. Sorry about that!

I hope to make the May ride, that will be a goody!

Thanks for weighing in Tom.
  7. sealsam

Oddometer:
    I hadn't had in a Bob's BB in 30 yrs, but my original double cb & fries were as good as I remember it long ago.

Don't be envious, get down here and join us. They are a darn blast! http://www.meetup.com/long-beach-area-scooter-group/

As far as a comparison between bikes, I don't know. I'm still a relatively new scoot owner(about 1 year), and it's my first and only. There was a new PCX on this past ride, and that owner was telling me he sold his 125pcx for this new one. It's sounds like the 150 is leaps and bounds above the 125. It was a beautiful bike, fit and finish is outstanding. I do like the ride of my HD, it sits upright like my RT. The power and acceleration is outstanding.

I follow the input of CaptJim and Gore-TX on the PCXs'. They look pretty darn good in white.

Thanks for checking in brianwheelies! :thumbup
  8. RedRockRider

RedRockRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice pics, Sam. Moab and your scooter ride to the Nethercutt Museum.

Was in San Diego with family this past weekend. Wife and son were amazed to watch some "lane splitting" as we traversed the LA basin. A few of those moto riders were nuts. Lead to an interesting discussion between wife and son concerning "lane splitting" . . . should it be legal or not?

Of course, I was wise enough to keep my mouth shut and just listen. Very entertaining.

Thanks for posting up the scoot pics of SoCal. Very interesting trips you guys have.
  9. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I love lane splitting! Some folks do it a little too enthusiastically.
  10. sealsam

Oddometer:
    Hello RRR,

Sandee Eggo is a great town! Little Italy, yum yum:dg

Tons of great riding in NE SD county, I'd sure love to show you!

Your age is showing," just listening"?? Yep, experience pays off again.:wink:

Lane splitting is a bit of an art form, and is definitely not everyone's cup of tea. I do it on the scooter and klx at pretty much all stop lights, gettin' to the front, oh yeah:nod On the freeways it's a tougher call, if traffic is moving at 30-35, I won't split. If you know your freeways and where the wide area's are, this helps out tremendously. My son was splitting on his dual sport recently in Irvine and crossed on top of the double yellow as he was weaving, which is pretty normal, and got popped by CHP, $4xx. Ouch:eek1

Our next ride will be a good one up thru Carbon Canyon, thru Chino Hills and a tour of Planes of Fames at the Chino Airport. You know your always welcome, being retired an all!

Thanks for checking in on my crummy little scooter thread!

Sam
  11. sealsam

Oddometer:
    Hey brianwheelies,

as I was one of the sheeple stuck on the 405 fwy yesterday, the traffic report was saying there were 2 separate motorcyclists' down on our freeways. This is pretty much an everyday occurrence here on the L.A. freeways.

Some riders' just split at higher speeds than other's. I've been split by bikes when I'm cruising along at 70 in my cage. :eek1 Those are probably the dudes I hear about on the traffic reports.

Sam
  12. simbaboy

simbaboy Lansing MBS Supporter

Oddometer:
    "No bathrooms on the White Rim Trail and I have to use this bush?"

Simba

[​IMG]
  13. tclhb

tclhb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Funny pic!
  14. sealsam

Oddometer:
    Please Tom,

Don't encourage Simba, he'll never stop. :1drink
  15. sealsam

Oddometer:
    ...pretty sure that plant was plenty lively before you p'd on it.

Wait till you use this toilet at Toroweap :eek1
    [​IMG]

BTW, leaving for LAX shortly to head to Salt Lake City. I'll be meeting the wife and m.i.l., for it's time to return Julie's mom back home to Montana. On the return, it'll probably be a trip toward the coast for an extended trip home.

My wife & m.i.l. just left StGeo(cracker barrel)after a night of frolicking, drinking & gambling in Mesquite.:freaky Ah, maybe not.

:wave
    See ya soon Simba!
  16. sealsam

Oddometer:
    With stifling heat this past week in So Cal, a break was needed and what could be better than just head south on PCH and kill a few hours.

Out of Seal it's just a few miles into Huntington Beach. This is on the south side of the pier where a surf competition will be taking place, set up in progress. Lots of activity near the pier & Main St., with some outstanding views. :evil (sorry, no pics of the best views, just take my word for it).
    [​IMG]

South toward Newport
    [​IMG]

I'm patiently waiting for a green light(after splitting a 1/4 mile of backed up traffic)and look left up to a bluff where I spot a whole lotta flags, I need to check that out.

Turns out the flags are put there every year by The Exchange of Newport Harbor, which is in conjunction with Armed Forces Day. There are 1776 U.S. flags flying in honor of all of our military men & women. :devildog Beautiful little park that sits atop a bluff right over PCH and the back bay of Newport.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This back street is right below the flag park and takes you down near the back waters of Newport, in the background if Fashion Island mall, etc.
    [​IMG]

And a quick stop at this fairly new dealer in Newport/Costa Mesa. Nice helpful fellow named Tyler wanted me to take a test drive on the Vespa 300, you know what happens on test drives...I passed. Nice folks in this shop.
    [​IMG]

A good few hours on the scoot.

Thanks for riding along!
  17. tclhb

tclhb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice pics Sam! I like that dealership a lot. Nothing but good experiences there. Their prices on things are really competitive with internet prices too.
  18. RedRockRider

RedRockRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Excellent. Beautiful composition in this pic! :thumb

19. sealsam

Oddometer:
    Hey Tom,

yep, nice folks that are pretty helpful. I like the idea of a 'big' scooter. The BV is sure nice.

Have a great SFO trip, be sure to post up here on ADV!
  20. sealsam

Oddometer:
    Hello RRR,

My son now has one of those flags. Turns out for a $45 donation, you can take one home.

He has the flag that flew in honor of a high school friend of his. :cry
    TM1(SS) likes this.