1. eNewsletter Sign Up

SoCal Scooterist's Meanderings

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by sealsam, Dec 16, 2013.

1. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    This past Sunday's ride with the group was out to Planes of Fame Museum at the Chino Airport, CA.

[​IMG]

more later....
    TM1(SS) likes this.
  2. sealsam

Oddometer:
    Our monthly group ride took us east out to Chino, CA., to pay a visit to the Planes of Fame Air Museum. Had a smallish gathering of scoots this past Sunday, with only 9 bikes upon leaving our meetup point at In-N-Out burger near the traffic circle in Long Beach.

We are always looking for folks to join us. We are the Long Beach Area Scooter Group, http://www.meetup.com/long-beach-area-scooter-group/ . It's nothing more than a meet-up of scootering enthusiasts', if you're near by, or not, please join in!

Total ride was 110 miles, our first day in SoCal with cooling weather, after a week of triple digits.

The ride out to the airport is a new route for myself through Carbon Canyon. CC turns out a nice little 'carve up' of asphalt, keeping our speed up in the 45-60 mph range.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Missed the airshow, darn
    [​IMG]

Many hangars housing lots of aircraft, but this had me puzzled, look at that prop!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Awaiting restoration
    [​IMG]

Time to head back
    [​IMG]

Upon leaving, after losing a couple riders, my group obliged me with a group shot in front of Flo's, a SoCal flying landmark. I had many breakfasts' in that place back in my training days.
    [​IMG]

Our last few miles take us north on PCH along Huntington Beach and Bolsa Chica, with a nice breeze and cool weather greeting us.
    [​IMG]

Another great day with the scooter pirates, always fun doing the group ride once a month.

Thanks for looking in...:wave
    TM1(SS) likes this.
  3. tclhb

tclhb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I missed out! Looks like it was a fun day. I was busy all weekend with a special event.
  4. sealsam

Oddometer:
    :ear

Waiting to hear about that trip Tom! Possibly see ya Mon?

I just home from cars-n-coffee in Irvine. I've been to a bunch of these, and today was one of the better ones. Waaayy too many cars, they were pushing them to an overflow lot.

Great free event, with locations across the U.S.,

http://usa.carsandcoffee.info/

Report & pics coming...
  5. tclhb

tclhb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Sam! Yeah, I will probably be there Monday. I only say probably because I am a little saddle sore. I rode all the way from SF to the OC. Long day!
  6. sealsam

Oddometer:
    Holy crap Tom, nice long haul! :freaky

Can't wait to hear about that tour on the BV. It has to be a great travel bike.
  7. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

if thats that german jet fighter I think it is , I would guess it was use to generate electrical power for the limited systems it needed to work. It was somewhat like the buzz bombs using a pulse jet ?? I think it was powered by very coursive mixture of shit that kill more then one pilot in landing it . Was used as a high speed bomber interceptor. Very fast but not much fuel or flight time. Then again the only 1 or 2 usa plane could come close to matching it's speed. A few of the guys flying german 262 jet Left reports about breaking the speed of sound in dives that nearly killed them and also damaged there jets. They just didn't know what the ship happen to them at the time. No reason it can't be true .

But back to this jet after googling and using beer to cool my brain to -250 C so it works half ass I remmembered it's Messerschmitt Me 163
    As you can see it the prop does look to power some shit as seem the cut away picture below . more info here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messerschmitt_Me_163_Komet
    [​IMG]
  8. sealsam

Oddometer:
    Great recon FMS,

Looking at PofF website, that is indeed the plane I saw. You know how these museums go, there is just sooo much info and placards to read, it's dizzying! Great info you dug out and thanks for taking the time to weigh in.

About 3/4 down the page is the ME 163
    http://planesoffame.org/index.php?page=static-flying

Thanks again! :thumb

Sam
  9. sealsam

Oddometer:
    So my buddy Tony has been with me down to Cars n Coffee many times, this time I convinced him to "take the scooters". Tony at 50 has only ridden once in his life(now twice).

The way CnC works is the cars arrive(this is the show)about 6-615am, they park, then they start leaving at 800am sharp(this is the other part of the show). That's it, 90 minutes.

There is motorcycle parking inside the event and I'm pleased to say, this part of the show is growing. Yesterday there were probably about 80 bikes, mostly street rockets, crome ponies, a few dual sports, and 2 scooters(ME). I have had all my bikes to this event, this is the first time I noticed people checking out the scoots.

We left the house at 455a.m. to get down to Irvine by 530, and we were first on the scene, just the donut/coffee guy setting up. I rode my wife's new Like while Tony rode my SYM.

By 615, it was on!

[​IMG]

Nice collection of "everything" arriving
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was Micro Car day, so they had a designated parking area, and being so small, they were able to cram in many of the tiny-tots. Pretty neat cars that bring big $$:eek1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

We were back on the road by 815, and sitting down for breakfast in Sunset Beach, at the Harbour House Cafe by 900. Nice little 60 mile ride for Tony to gain some experience, he may now have the bug.
    [​IMG]

Memorial Day ride is with my group, http://www.meetup.com/long-beach-area-scooter-group/events/178295902/
    ...any lurkers out there, please join in.

If any one wants to go to CnC, or would like to meet up, lemme know!

...just pushing the scooter agenda.

Thanks for looking in!
  10. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Scooter groups do seem to get a much different reaction than a large group of motorcycles do. I wish we could get that many scooters together around here.
  11. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:

:thumb
  12. sealsam

Oddometer:
    klaviator,

I still just shake my head at the reaction our group gets as we buzz by the pedestrians, lots of pointing and smiling as we go by. :clap

Time to form your own group...
    http://www.meetup.com/find/?allMeet...sville,+Alabama,+USA&mcId=c35801&sort=default , I'll join!!

Sure love looking in on your thread with that mighty scooter taking on the big iron. You can bet you're gettin' plenty of looks yourself. :thumb

Thanks for checking in,

Sam
  13. sealsam

Oddometer:
    Red Bud,

As you walk through the flags it's very, very humbling.

They truly gave all. :cry
  14. sealsam

Oddometer:
    Nearly a week late, but a few shots from our Meetup scooter group.

Our meetup spot was the usual In-n-Out burger in Long Beach with 23 bikes showing up, a nice turnout!

My ride started at 6am to catch a few quite hours at work, since we're closed on the holiday. Good opportunity to jump up on the 405 freeway for the 15 ride mile. This is my daily exit.
    [​IMG]

Good parking spot:clap
    [​IMG]

The ride took us from Long Beach north through Turnbull Canyon, which are small foothills that separate Whittier from Hacienda Heights. A great ride through the canyon with many twists & turns that kept your attention up.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tom, on his beauty of a BV350. That bike has some serious touring miles on it. Tom owes us a ride report from that trip up HWY 1!
    [​IMG]

A shout out to Alison, who lurks here, and showed up for our Turnbull ride. :thumb Nice HD Alison, they are wonderful bikes.

Hanging out with the scooter folk, is always a blast.

Thanks for lookin' in!
  15. tclhb

tclhb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good post Sam! Another fun ride!
  16. MichRocks

MichRocks Sunset Rider

Oddometer:
    You guys are lucky. Nice to know some people share the fun that can be had on these. I was hoping to find some like minds when I took off on a recent trip;

http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2583

As far as I could tell, I was the only scooter rider there- maybe between 10,000 and 15,000 bikes.

BUT...!!! :wink: Seeing all the fun I am having has had an impact on my wife. Today she asked me if I would like to take her to see if she would fit a Burgy 200. When I bought my bike, the shop that sold me the Forza only had two 150 PCX scooters in stock when I picked it up last September.

When we walked in today...:eek1

Two more Forzas, and a whole line of Kymcos; Super8s and smaller; Honda Rucks and scooters from Metro on up, lining both sides of the entry into the shop!!! Beyond that, the Squid bikes. A quick talk to a new sales guy revealed that he had three scoots in his garage, aside from his other bikes.

Maybe there's hope for Michigan after all....:D

Keep the rides coming!!!
  17. Burgi

Burgi laying low

Oddometer:
    :wave Yours is nice, mine, not so much. :D They are great scoots though, must be to with stand the flogging mine has had.
    It was great seeing HDs on the road though, that is a first for me.
    Really enjoyed the Scooter group and look forward to getting out with you all again.
    BTW do you know the name of the other guy with an HD?
  18. sealsam

Oddometer:
    Yep Tom, another fun group ride!

Thanks again for the Like shop manual, if my wife ever gets any miles on it, I just may have to put that manual to use one day. :lol3
  19. tclhb

tclhb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got a valve cover gasket for you too Sam. I just found that the other day. You probably won't need it for a long time though. I had my valve cover off two times, and the o ring style original gasket was still in great shape.
    Maintenance on the Kymco Like 200i is super easy. There's a great YouTube video on the valve clearance check. Watching the video while doing it, it takes about an hour.
  20. sealsam

Oddometer:
    Really glad you made it out Burgi(I'll have to hear what that means).

BTW, Samthg...back in the day, I had two VW Things, thus, my screen name(in case anyone gives a hoot).

My HD is now at 14,500mi, of which I'v put on just over 3k. The two p.o. took darn good care of this scoot. I just lucked out finding it, kinda was looking for a scooter, kinda heard about the HD, and then one Sat. morning it popped up on CL, and an hour later I owned it. As far as I can tell to this point, great bones these HD's have!

I don't remember the other HD rider's name, hopefully he'll make it out to another ride. You know, for my first seven rides with the LB group, i've been the only SYM, got kinda lonely, especially when all that Vespa talk was flying, now I've got some kinship. :clap

Thanks for chiming in Burgi, see ya out there soon!