1. eNewsletter Sign Up

SoCal Scooterist's Meanderings

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by sealsam, Dec 16, 2013.

1. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    MichRocks,

It's nice to hear that your wife is getting involved also, that is what has happened in my house too. After many years of riding pillion, once Mrs. Samthg saw all the fun I was having on the scooter, she came to the conclusion that she needs to get it on the act. Of course since her purchase of a new Kymco Like, she has been busier than ever at work and has very little time to ride.

The bar has definitely been raised on the scooters by all the manufactures when it comes to fit & finish, and comfort. I want a larger touring scooter for longer day trips, of which I just started noising around in some of the local dealers. Your Forza is a beauty, and looks like a most capable machine that i'll be adding to the radar.

You know, we are seeing folks like yourself and Klaviator that are taking the scooters and mixing 'em up with the big bikes, and it is raising eyebrows of the large bike owners. As more and more people see the performance of these machines, it is changing some minds about scooters.

Nice couple of links you've got there! As a golfer, i've always heard about golfing the UP of MI.. I hope to make it out there someday. My dual sport buddy, Simbaboy(who lurks here in BS)is in Lansing, and keeps mentioning that I need to experience some MI, you have added fuel to the fire.

Great link to the redrockcomputer, keep those beautiful pics coming.

Thanks for weighing in MichRocks, ride safe out there and good luck on that wife bike purchase.

Sam
  2. Burgi

Burgi laying low

Oddometer:
    When I go back to MI my friend let's me use her scoot, so I can attest to at least one more back there. :clap

I used to have a Burgman. Not creative enough to come up with anything else. :lol3
    I really didn't know anything about SYM when I got my scooter. I was looking for a cheap scoot to work on and this presented itself.
    [​IMG]

Mirrors, levers, bar ends, grips, Givi top case plate, and plastics were trashed. Removed the mirrors and taped up the signals (didn't work anyway) and rode it cross town to get home. The front "handle cover" was smashed in three pieces. Amazingly enough with some glue I was able to put it back together and ride it that way for over a year while searching for a replacement piece. Certainly didn't want to pay SYM prices for new!
    Glad to see you guys putting more miles on yours, gives me hope mine will last awhile.

I'm very curious how to Like compares to the HD. Have you written anything up on that?

Do you still have your RT? I have one of those also, at least for the time being. The fickleness of two wheels! :D
  3. MichRocks

MichRocks Sunset Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Sam!

I couldn't help but feel deeply nostalgic for the scenes that you guys had in this thread. I was born and raised in CA, met my wife in Irvine, went to college in San Bernardino, San Diego, and Los Angeles. Worked my way through college and always had only two things- a job, and a bike. Rode every route I could get my dusty wheels into from Victorville to Vegas without hitting pavement; Griffith park to the Rock Store; Big Bear through Oak Glen, Amboy to Needles, Borrego Springs to Furnace Creek, Death Valley and Sierra rides...oh, man, it makes me homesick. Life takes some interesting turns, but finding threads like this from people that still know how to twist the throttle of adventure keeps me going strong. Thanks for all of you- Klaviator, Cap'n Jim, CD Wise, JerryH, DougFKen, gumshoe4, Maddiedog, longhaul747, brianwheelies, Yamageek, Shepski, Fizzy, and too too many here to mention for all your fantastic, and worthy inputs. It really helps a lot of us keep going more than any of you know. If any of you ever find yourself stranded in MI, PM me, and I'll do my best to show you around!

Regards,

Greg
  4. simbaboy

simbaboy Lansing MBS Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hello Sam,
    Apparently the entire State of MI has some great golfing but this 'sport' has not been for me. Everywhere you look there are some excellent public and private courses. Come on over any time. A couple of buds do play and I will make sure you have the best of time!

Looking forward to our planned St. George get together around June 22-June 25th. I and the girls are headed out to Circle Tour Lake Superior next week, then a week at work, then off to Utah. I will send RRR and StG a PM in the next few days.

Greg, anytime you are around Mid-Michigan area and want a riding buddy let me know.

Imu
    p.s Sam--excellent pictures. I think RRR and StG are rubbing off on you.
  5. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If any of you are headed through Las Vegas, let me know. If you guys are going from Vegas to St. George, taking 93 from the I-15 frontage road is quiet and scenic. Much better than taking the 15 up to St. George. If my schedule is open I will ride with the group.
  6. sealsam

Oddometer:
    Hi Burgi,

As far as a comparison of the HD v. Like, took a short ride on the Like yesterday down PCH just to get a few more miles racked up, now at 120:clap:lol3. First, I know this bike will eventually "loosen" up, but I'm not liking small wheels, I seem to be feeling every darn imperfection on the road. I know there are more factors than small wheels causing a rougher ride, but....

Second, I feel like my knee's are in my chest, and I'm not even 5'10". The floor board seems to be very high, at least compared to my HD. This is no factor for my wife at 5'1", so she tells me stay off her bike if I'm gunna bitch.

Third, the fuel injection on the Like does not seem a smooth as my carb'd HD. This may be a b.s. statement, but the like does not accelerate as smoothly as the HD.

Bottom line, I'm probably nit-picking cause I am so sold on the HD, tons of power for 170cc's and the upright seating position.

I still have the '04 RT, and the wife and I were suppose to be on it this past week for a trip up to Kings & Sequoia NP's. Last minute crap happened, and we ended up caging to Vegas, a great break for both of us.

Love the RT, definitely a keeper...
    [​IMG]

Burgi, hope to see you on the SF Mission ride.

BTW, what year is that Bonnie?
  7. sealsam

Oddometer:
    You're not kidding Greg, you have some deep CA roots.

The rock store ride, and all the Santa Monica Mtn's, is some very fine riding. It still surprises me of how many local riders I talk to that have never ridden up there. I've yet to get the scooter up there, but I hope to change that soon.

You mentioned Borrego Springs, this area and NE San Diego county still is some of my favorite places to ride. Montezuma Grade, Mt. Palomar & Lake Henshaw area is fantastic.

Reading all the people you listed, one realizes just how much diversity is in this Battle Scooter dept.. That's alot of folks that bring a ton of riding experience to the table. It just shows the depth and quality of ADV.

Thanks for weighing in Greg, lemme know when you're heading to CA.

Sam
  8. sealsam

Oddometer:
    Imu,

Same here, can't wait for the 2nd Annual Sam b.d. ride.:lol3 But I'm not riding 9am to 1130pm again!! You young guys are animals.

Enjoy the time with your daughters on the Circle Tour! My best to Mrs. simbaboy!!

Talk with ya soon.
  9. sealsam

Oddometer:
    brianwheelies,

My wife & I just spent some time in Vegas this week(Red Rock Resort). Since our planned big bike trip to Sequoia/Kings NP did not happen, a quick change took us to your area. Since I haven't been on a golf course since last July, I did manage to get in a couple of rounds of golf, Arroyo & Siena.

We took the cage out on a couple of loops that I usually hit when in Vegas. Spent the late afternoon/evening up on the Red Rock Canyon drive. As you probably know, this is a fantastic area! We stopped at most of the pull out points and did a hiking around and exploring. Another ride we drove is out to North Shore Drive and up through Valley of Fire. These are a couple of drives I've taken many times, but it never gets old. The terrain and geology is fantastic.

Hey, I'm a little confused on the 93/I15 frontage road suggestion. Got any more info? You gotta remember who you're dealing with here, my wife will tell you to spell it out in crayons for me. :lol3

Did you part with that SYM? That bike was a beauty.
  10. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The SYM was stolen and recovered by police then totaled by insurance. Have not replaced it yet and have just been riding the ZX6.

When you are headed north on I-15 towards the Valley of Fire there is an exit for 93 north to Ely, NV. It takes you by the ET Highway and goes through some scenic mountain ranges with little traffic. It does take longer to get to St. George but the scenery is much better and the speed limit is more conducive to scooting.

Outside of St. George
    [​IMG]

Caliente train depot
    [​IMG]
  11. sealsam

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about the Sym(RV if I remember??), you had that bike looking good. Are you looking to get another scoot?

On the travel advice, that's the route I thought you were referring to, thanks for clearing that up. I've never been on 93, this could make a nice overnighter to SG someday! RedRockRider has recently posted up a nice write up including Caliente & Pioche, looks like well worth the diversion.

Thanks for posting up the pics!

Sam
  12. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

There is already a local scooter club on Facebook. There are nearly 60 members but getting them to come out and ride is like pulling teeth. Most of my riding is through the Bamarides forum. It's mostly motorcycle riders but a great group. I much prefer using a forum over facebook or a meetup group.

One of the local guys on bamarides recently picked up a brand new 2008 HD200 and has put over 2,000 miles on it in less than 2 months. I'm really impressed by the HD200.

I'm hoping that someday I can get half the number of scooter riders out riding that you get.
  13. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I lived in San Diego from 86-89. I loved riding all those places. I hope to make it back out there some day.
  14. simbaboy

simbaboy Lansing MBS Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hello Friends,
    Here is Mrs Simbaboy dual sporting on her Burgman 650. She is real quick on her scoot--blows me away everytime no matter what I am riding. I had to get her a TW200 to slow her down a bit.
    Simba

[​IMG]
    TM1(SS) likes this.
  15. sealsam

Oddometer:
    There's a great lady.

Some of us married way up, you included my friend!

:wave
    [​IMG]
    TM1(SS) likes this.
  16. sealsam

Oddometer:
    So come on out here, I'll show you around.

Time to reintroduce you to that great NE San Diego county riding.

I have to tell you, after a little more than a year of ownership, the HD has impressed! It's been a great scoot, at now 14,500 on the clock(not all mine).

You've got a great thread going klaviator, I love following along.
  17. klaviator

Oddometer:
    WHEN, not if, I make it out there I'll let you know. It will probably be a few years. I'm planning on riding it out west next year but doubt I'll make it all the way to CA.
  18. gogogordy

gogogordy Long timer

Oddometer:
    This sounds like the makings of an "event" of sorts.
    Rustling up a small group of like-minded riders for this wouldnt be difficult.
  19. Burgi

Burgi laying low

Oddometer:
    :clap You have a smart wife! :d

But does it accelerate as fast? :evil
    I am so accustomed to scooters shuddering on acceleration I wouldn't know what to do with smooth anyway.

My Bonnie is an '09.
    [​IMG]

(she's wearing different accessories these days)

I won't be able to make the Mission ride. Husband and I are headed for Montana with the bikes.
  20. tclhb

tclhb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sam, you might try sitting in the rear half of the seat on the Like. That's the way I rode mine. Put over 5000 miles on it in the 9 months before I bought the BV350. The Like motor got much faster and smoother up through about 4000 miles. The earlier miles have a more dramatic improvement.
    The suspension is not as motorcycle like as the Piaggio, but the small wheels make for quick handling at low speeds. Hope you "like" it better in time.