SoCal to Tuweep (or Toroweap)?

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by billy bee, Oct 7, 2004.

1. billy bee

billy bee AAdventurer

Oddometer:
    Greetings, all:

I am considering a one-night visit to Tuweep (on the Grand Canyon's North Rim) during the week of November 1.

http://www.americansouthwest.net/arizona/grand_canyon/tuweep.html
    http://www.nomads-notebook.com/journal/tuweep/nps_tuweep.htm

I am riding my Transalp to Flagstaff to trade it for a /6 with side car. On the way, I want to camp on the rim.

Already searched the archives for info and found a helpful, but older, post. So, I am looking for two things:

1) More information: Anybody done this in Oct or Nov? Any idea of the cold factor that time of year? One string said it starts to get cold in Nov.

The ride in from St. George skirts a 8k foot peak. Does snow usually get down to road level in early Nov?

2) A possible riding partner: Anybody in LA or SoCal interested in making the trip with me? One day to the rim, leaving very early, 2nd day to Flagstaff, 3rd day back to SoCal.

I'll take your lack of responses as a, "What, are you crazy?" and abandon the whole idea...

Bill B.
  2. KillerPriller

KillerPriller Long timer

Oddometer:

I’ll be your huckleberry…

Sounds like a fun ride. I am restricted to weekends, so for me I would need to leave on the afternoon of Oct 29th. Perhaps catch up to you on the afternoon/evening of the 30th, and return home on the 31st.

Long ride for a weekend, but there aren’t any races that weekend anyway. We might be able to convince Mr Head or Christi to tag along.

nk
  3. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Temperature and wind.

If wind is rushing into or outta that valley, hold on.

Might be Mt Trumbull or Logan you're refering to.

Good and fast dirt roads on the Strip. There are a few different routes in and out, so you should have fun.

Wave to the Mormons in CO City and Hilldale as you pass thru.
  4. eskimo

eskimo gunga-galunga

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a fun ride. I've done some pre-planning for the toroweap trip myself . The trip you describe sounds do-able but might be a very loong 2nd day, no matter which way you're going from the north rim to flag. Think it's about 70 miles over dirt -- mostly good, but some fairly rocky stuff -- going into the north rim from either the Virgin River area or Colorado City. At least a couple hours, probly more, each way. From Colorado City to Flag is -- a rough guess -- about 350 miles. Roads are good but it's all very interesting country and it's a shame to have to blast through it. Of course, that's it's own kind of fun.
  5. billy bee

billy bee AAdventurer

Oddometer:
    And miss Halloween in OC? Inconceivable!

I actually have to time this to be in Flagstaff on the 3rd, 4th, or 5th, I think. Still trying to nail down the Flagstaff day.

And the whole Tuweep thing is a wild hair. May abandon it altogether for a more leisurely ride thru Prescott and Sedona. Then, we could plan a proper long weekend trip to the north rim in the spring.

Still need to time it for a Thursday or Friday arrival. Will let you know it that changes.

Bill B
  6. mitch

mitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    You had better check with N.Parks, I tried in Dec. once only to find it closed for the winter. Good luck
  7. Saddletramp

Saddletramp a

Oddometer:
    From Mesquite, Nev., you can go south east to Whitney Pockets or up Lime Kiln Rd. If snow or mud doesn't stop you there, you should be able to get through to Wolf Hole, Mt Trumbull and Toroweap Pt. Go out by Antelope Rd to Fredonia. Have 200 miles of range. Have maps, emergancy gear, (nobody to the west of Wolf Hole on this adventure ride). GPS is really useful there. Mesquite to Fredonia might be 12 hours of riding/navigating. Have fun

[​IMG]
  8. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Bill I'm in.

Heck, when I had a real job I worked on /5's and sidecars.

I still want to own a BMW factory car someday. And not a cage.

There is nothing cooler than riding up to breakdfast at the Village Inn in a /2 rig with a /6 motor and walking in, in your Belstaffs and having the construction workers there with their Harley wing'd sleevelss jeenjacket, "vests" get all quiet as you populate a booth with clothing.

hehehe There was a foot of snow on the ground and another mechanic and I would ride around all the stuck cars. If we got hung up, the guy in the car would jump out and lift, and push too funny. Plus donuts in the intersections were great!

Too bad it doesn't snow here, No wait! I didn't mean that. I'm glad it doesn't snow here.. Jeez, what was I thinking?

I'm in anyway. Have tools will travel.
  9. billy bee

billy bee AAdventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, I have had to change my plans, Mr. Head. Sorry. That would have been fun. So, the LA to Toroweap to Flagstaff to LA trip is dead, unfortunately. It has turned into a work/play/swap bikes/ride with Mary trip...which is a good thing, except for the work part.

I have an event at SEMA (Las Vegas) on Tuesday; I'll probably leave Monday to be there for set-up, stay in Vegas thru Wednesday, head to Flagstaff Thursday, and take the weekend to ride the hack home with Mary.

Again, sorry. Decided to abort the other day. Hope you can ride up to Kern County for some trail riding next weekend, Dick.

Bill B
  10. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:
    No big deal, I'll just have to figure out somewhere to ride while you're off playing in Vegas.

A couple of friends are going to that show over the weekend. They might be on their Voyager of they don't take the son.

Another time, another destination. I'm actually toying with blowing off the MotoGP at Seca and riding to Colorado. I know it's just winter thinking.